Who will the club appoint now Garry Monk has gone?

What I would like is who ever gets appointed whether its your first choice or your worse nightmare is that for once we all as one get behind him, his team and the club. None of this i reserve judgment  or ill give him 5 games to win me round rubbish,

Theres to many people on here and life that crave the I told you so adrenalin rush

We need to back whoever it is as we are in a fight 

Our biggest stumbling block will as usual be the chairman. 

A good knowledgeable one that knows football and players will know we needs to start winning and picking up points. He'd also know we can't get any new players in till the transfer window opens. 

Hence he would go for a manager to suit what we have available. 

We need someone with the players we have that's going to keep the ball on the deck and play neat tidy simple football. We don't have a squad in the vein of a tough solid counter attacking team or a hoof all team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TommyCraig said:

Nigel Pearson for me. To run the club from top to bottom with at least a 5 year plan for the club. Time for an iron hand to steady this fvvcker. 

We'd be very, very lucky if this happens. 

I wish it were so. Unfortunately would not work with Chansiri. Pearson would be far too powerful and we'll liked (by the fans anyway)

34 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Most of those available are established and know this league, so knowing us there's a wierd left field curveball coming in from Europe we've never heard of. lol

Rather that than any of the names being linked at the moment.

I wasn’t sure about Pulis; but on a deal until the end of the season with a view to keeping us in the division; he may well be a good choice.

The fans of other clubs who are critical of him were in a very different situation to what we are in now: 

·      West Brom – He saw them from 16th to 13th in the prem in his first season and finished 10th in his second season before they felt that they needed to progress their style.  

·      Middlesbrough - He took them from mid-table to the playoffs in his first season and finished 7th in his second season after being in the top 6 all season. He maintained a 43.75% win rate which is higher than any manager we have had since Megson in League 1. 

He seems to have a positive effect on struggling teams in his first season then start to stagnate towards the end of a second season. Which if we employed him to keep us up this season; he could be exactly what we need. 

Also worth noting that after the break we are playing weekend-midweek-weekend almost all the way until the new year which equates to a game almost every 3 days. As much as I would love to see us play attacking, free-flowing football; there is some suggestion that high press teams are starting to struggle with the hectic fixture schedule this year. This season was always going to be about pragmatism and a properly implemented direct style may be the best way to get results over the next few months and keep us in the league with a view to re-assessing for next season. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Our biggest stumbling block will as usual be the chairman. 

A good knowledgeable one that knows football and players will know we needs to start winning and picking up points. He'd also know we can't get any new players in till the transfer window opens. 

Hence he would go for a manager to suit what we have available. 

We need someone with the players we have that's going to keep the ball on the deck and play neat tidy simple football. We don't have a squad in the vein of a tough solid counter attacking team or a hoof all team. 

My worry is DC and his lack of footballing knowledge too. The best appointment he made so far was Bruce, however he didn't stick around. I feel we've made too many mistakes under DC that from an outsiders point of view we appear as a basket case club to many football fans. I've noticed in various interviews DC talking about liking good attacking football but then he appoints someone like Jos or Monk, and recently he even complained about Bruce's style of football. In my opinion we need a proven manager and/or we need footballing minded CEO or DOF. Pearson and Howe are the stand out available managers to me but an experienced DOF type alongside someone like Cook or Lowe could be worth considering too, if we can't get any of the top available managers. 

• Like 1

As ever the only judge on how good the appointment will be is Lord Justice Hindsight. I thought Bruce was a good appointment but we'll never know. Thought Monk was a bad one - and that worked out right.

Lots of names being mentioned with most getting hefty dose of naysayers - too boring, too inexperienced, too old, too naive etc etc. Bielsa had never managed in this division before and neither had Wilder when he got here. Wagner was the same. Lampard had never managed anywhere before. Stuart Gray - who did a good job here - had been a disaster in his previous attempts. 

There's lots of reasons not to pick people. Chansiri has to compile his shortlist, meet them and then take a view based on how he rates them and their plans. Monk was part of the same old same old.   I like the idea of a relatively fresh face - as dangerous as that might be. It's all a bit of a lottery though.

• Like 3

I wouldn't object to Ryan Lowe. Good upcoming young manager, likes to play very attacking football, has a bit of personality and nastiness about him. Yes, only promotion for League 2 on his CV, but I'm totally fed up of the same merry-go-round, boring coaching manual managers who serve up dog poo turgid football. 

For over 20 years now, we've generally been crap for the most part and subject to some god awful football. I can't see our fortunes changing overnight, but at least someone like him will throw caution to the wind. If we're going to continue to be crap, lets be crap whilst trying to have a go. 

Edited by LoadABallacks

Looks like Bannan won’t be renewing his contract if Pulis gets the job....

Barry Bannan once named Tony Pulis as one of the worst two managers he has had, based on the way he plays.

Pulis is believed to be one of at least three bosses in talks to succeed Garry Monk at Wednesday, according to BBC Sport’s Ian Dennis.

Bannan played under the 62-year-old at Crystal Palace, although he appeared on just 11 occasions over a nine-month period.

And speaking to Open Goal last year, the Owls talisman offered the following insight into the pair’s relationship.

“Tony Pulis came in, so right up my street,” Bannan said, sarcastically.

“To be fair, he was that honest with me it was unreal. He grabbed me in half way through the season and was like, if I was managing a team that was going to play football you would be the first name in my team but we’re fighting for our lives so…

“To be honest, I don’t mind that. If you’re going to pull me in and tell me that reason, I don’t mind it. So I knew from then on that this wasn’t going to be the club for me.

“I can safely say that the two managers that came in during my time there, after Holloway (Pulis and Neil Warnock), were probably, in my eyes, the worst managers for the way I play.”

• Haha 1