Man of the match - Bournemouth (H)

This division is about running.

It's that simple I'm afraid.

Off and on the ball the team that runs most will do well.

The pitches in the championship are like bowling greens and the ball moves quickly these days.

It's all about running and they all did their share of that and looked a better team for it.

Pelupessey led the way.

Wildsmith                                                                                     =                                       6

Odubajo                                                                                        =                                        7

Palmer                                                                                           =                                       7

Iorfa                                                                                               =                                        7

Borner                                                                                            =                                       6

Pelupessy                                                                                      =                                        6   

Harris                                                                                             =                                         7+    Unlucky with RED Appeal

Bannan                                                                                           =                                         8     MOTM 

Reach                                                                                              =                                         7

Windass                                                                                          =                                         7 

Kachunga                                                                                       =                                          6+ could have been better, misplaced passes in number. 

Brown                                                                                             =                                           6 that back heel tut tut.

Paterson                                                                                        =                                            7

Marriott                                                                                          =                                            6

Nice to see those three's, four's and five's out of the door.  

Borner - He’s had a dreadful time but he was outstanding tonight. He was my MoM before that block.

Every player was excellent. Monk had them fired up. 

Palmer, Moses and Barry (goal-machine) Bannan were superb.

Kachunga got better and better. Joey was terrific. Reach quality. Harris and Windass worked their nuts off, and Windass’ pace kept them pegged back. 

Wildsmith’s self-confidence related the defence.

Paterson provided great respite. 

I hated that line-up. But they were superb individually and played as a team. Really enjoyed it. Deserved win.

• Like 4

Joey was decent, but he still made silly mistakes.  Running into the back of people, giving away easy free kicks.  Wayward passes to Bannan (who moaned at him) and putting Iorfa in danger at the back (who moaned at him).  I counted a few attacks where we had so many people forward, but as soon as the ball came to Pelupessy, the Bournemouth players seemed to pressure him perhaps more than other players, leading him to pass backwards, nullifying our attacks.  

I'm not some Pelupessy hater, by the way. He had a good game, but Borner for me was MOM.  

Edited by Suzuki_San
  • Like 1

Guest domSWFC

Borner for me, solid all game, calm in possession and good distribution.

Poor start for Joey, couple awful passes but really grew into the game. Battling for everything, winning his duels and his distribution was good. Hopefully more of that whilst Luongo is out, we'll need it. 

Palmer had a very good game too. 

Oh and that ball by Bannan to Windass for the penalty. What a pass, Gerrardesque!

Guest FoxOwl12
On 01/11/2020 at 11:45, Owls Loyal said:

11 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Wildsmith - 6 - Clean sheet, but couple of really worrying moments. Dropping the simple header right in the six yard box, and bottling the tackle when Iorfa tackled King when clean through, before Borner's heroic stop from Brooks. 

Palmer - 7 - Decent defensively, and provided good support going forward at times. But, what a sitter. Another piece of cowardly play...more concerned about getting clattered than making sure he sticks the header away.

Iorfa - 7  - Typical Iorfa display. From the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of seconds. Lost the ball in dangerous areas too many times...but recovered some hopeless situations when he had no right to.

Borner - 8 - Man of the Match - Thought he was fantastic tonight. Looked back to the form he showed early on last season. Seemed to real enjoy defending, put in some key tackles, subdued the threat of Brooks and produced a match-winning save/block.

Odubajo - 7 - Another player who has struggled at times, but turned up and put in a brilliant performance today. Nothing flashy, but worked tirelessly down the right flank.

Harris - 5 - It would've been a "6" but for the stupid sending off. Not sure whether he was sent off for the tackle or reacting...but both of them were reckless and stupid. Before that, worked hard, but I'm reaching boiling point with his constant lack of a final ball. Three games off could be a blessing...for both the team and Harris. 

Pelupessy - 7 - Nothing fancy, but sat, protected and broke up play the way you'd expect him to. 

Bannan - 8 - Another Captain's Display. The heartbeat. And although a number of things didn't come off for him tonight, it's his quality that makes us bearable to watch and even remotely dangerous. His through-ball lead to Windass' run for the penalty, he stuck Paterson through late on, produced the free kick for Palmer's sitter, and the corner which flashed past the six yard box....oh, and he scored the winner.

Reach - 7 - Decent performance tonight I thought. Got in some dangerous positions in the 1st half and was unfortunate not to score, and showed his versatility to move to his more natural wide left position in the 2nd half when we switched to a 3-4-3 to match Bournemouth up.

Windass - 6 - Worked hard, and won the penalty...although it was the correct decison, I'm not convinced Windass would've ended up finishing the move! 

Kachunga - 6 - Like Windass....works hard...but just lacks quality. Needs to change his boots...forever falling down.

Overall...

It was an encouraging performance, and one we should take a lot of positives out of, but it's also another game which highlights why it's going to be such a slog this season. 

All the positives were what we should absolutely expect as a minimum...worked hard, hunted in packs, dug deep, seem well-organised. Those things should be present week in, week out...and the fact I'm complimenting them, shows how abysmal the last week has been.

But it goes to show, how small the margins are. Bournemouth are supposedly the team to beat in the division...but by showing those qualities above, we've nullified their threat and nicked a game we weren't fancied to.

That said...from open play, we've looked pretty toothless again. Our three big chances came via set pieces or a penalty, and our two of the few other chances we created came directly through Bannan. We need to find a more efficient way of attacking, otherwise we're going to be putting huge pressure on our back line to keep clean sheets. I'm hoping three games that'll force Monk to play Reach in the LWB position and Brown in the number 10, might be the way to get more quality footballers into those attacking areas. Fingers crossed.

Guest FoxOwl12

Difficult for me to pick a MOM after  an excellent team display. By accident or design Monk might have found his best forward line in Windass and Kachunga. We got in some good crosses but we need more players to get into the box to attack these crosses. Maybe this will come with more confidence.

11 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

This division is about running.

It's that simple I'm afraid.

Off and on the ball the team that runs most will do well.

The pitches in the championship are like bowling greens and the ball moves quickly these days.

It's all about running and they all did their share of that and looked a better team for it.

Pelupessey led the way.

It goes back to the problems we had when we first lost K Lee. 

Almost all our midfielders tend to sit in too much. Bazza joey, Reach, they almost never go past our strikers. 

This is one thing that really helps to unlock defences. 

It makes cbs have diffucult snap decisions to make with a running midfielder creating space or aiding strikers to loose their man . 

It's one of the reasons I'd prefer ius t go 4-3-3 if we Change formation rather than 4-4-2 everyone has been shouting for becouse a central  2 of bazza and joey just don't get in and around the box leaving whomever is up top isolated with a massive gap between up top and the midfield. I'd much prefer a midfield allowing us to give someone licence to break. 

• Like 1

Great performance as a team, better than all the players as individuals.

When the season started, I wanted Van Aken to be given a chance as Borner had had ( in my opinion) a terrible time since 2019. Very slow and not the commanding potential captain we saw last autumn.

However last night he was REALLY back to his old self - winning headers of their ear 'oles and physically competitive. I was REALLY pleased - long may it continue.

Pelupessy needs a mention also.

A scapegoat gets little chance to have his match to match performances assessed fairly by the supporters. I think he has had a few decent games recently, but last night was really pleasing and he worked very hard and effectively. Like a decent defender, he was always 'in the way'.

The team as a whole gave 100% and it could be seen from kick off. Good closing down of players in possession and reducing pass opportunites for them.

No man of the match for me, we win together we lose together.

• Like 1

I thought Garry Monk had a great game. Tactically , he got it right and had the team motivated. Bearing in mind the pressure and abuse, he did very well- not that you would think so if you followed OT! 

So there you are. Garry Monk, MOTM. Hopefully, this will set us up for the rest of the season.