Crap manager with the best win percentage since 2000

Guest buster123

Guest Therealrealist
2 hours ago, buster123 said:

Yes it's the dinosaur Gary Megson. When you have a crap budget and a crap squad it's all about winning. Also the 3rd best win percentage in the history of Sheffield Wednesday. Oh wait for it. What about Stevenage. LOLLOLLOL

Was just about to start @ meggo thread..nice one pal..get him in ASAP..sadly tho dc has probly never heard of him...some good posts tonight from the every so often brigade..a lot better than the 10,00 post mob

Guest buster123

Actually he had an assistant role in 2017 with premier side WBA. Took care to two games on his own when Pulis left. I think they drew both against Newcastle and Tottenham. Never blamed the fans always asked if the players could handle the pressure of playing at Hillsborough. The majority of his signings working out. Except the ones Milan brought in without asking. They were moved on quickly with Milan flush with cash in his pockets.

11 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I hate this win percentage nonsense, it’s all about timing, had MM been akin to DC and not fired managers as quickly GM’s percentage would drop drastically, his influence was clearly on the wane at the time he got the bullet.

It’s a load of balls isn’t it? He didn’t manage anywhere close to 100 games, his football was eye-bleeding, as you correctly say we were on the slide at the end of his reign, and his win % was in the 3rd Tier. He and any manager should have had a high win % in that league. He did a good job turning round the mentality at the club but Milan was right to remove him when he did.

• Like 3

Guest buster123

I joined the Cult of Megson club' For those who argue win percentages, what ever league your in it has to do a lot with your budget and owner. They all have around the same talent level. If their at a higher level they get sold and moved on. Also I've never seen anyone on here say so an so had a 16% win ratio, he was brilliant.

On 24/10/2020 at 21:55, matthefish2002 said:

Its 8.1/2 years since Megson managed us (or anyone else) and his methods were a bit dated then.

Think some people are too focused on thinking getting rid of Monk  is magic wand to Wednesday's problems. 

Going to a long slog at best for a few seasons until we are a top half Championship side.

Think he was assistant at WBA 2 yrs ago..

On 24/10/2020 at 14:27, hasthagotanycheese said:

Would have him back in a heartbeat. DC wouldnt even need to get new initials ironed onto the managers training tops.

Never been a Megson fan due to his hoof football. However, he installed pride and effort into the team. I'm not calling for him to return, but I would bet that we would be better off than Monk being in charge. Couldn't get any worse right with Monk? Oh wait! League 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/10/2020 at 07:36, edinburghowl said:

It’s a load of balls isn’t it? He didn’t manage anywhere close to 100 games, his football was eye-bleeding, as you correctly say we were on the slide at the end of his reign, and his win % was in the 3rd Tier. He and any manager should have had a high win % in that league. He did a good job turning round the mentality at the club but Milan was right to remove him when he did.

His football might not have been massively different to Monks but at least you felt you knew the players knew what was expected of them? I think Megson got everyone pulling in the same direction which is ultimately important when you’re in the situation we’re currently in. The vibe I get from Monk is apathy and disenchantment. Come on, when he does get the sack, it won’t be because he wasn’t up to the job, it’ll be down to other factors out of his control and because of this he’ll talk himself into another job elsewhere?

• Like 2

Stats are complete nonsense other than saying what's already happened.

Would Meggo fire the team up to fight off relegation?
Yes probably, he's perfect for what we need to survive and be a club of passion

Would he get us promoted or build a top championship attacking club next year?
Probably not.

And there is the classic problem in football. Short-sighted appointments. We need a manager who can bring attacking football but give him time to do that.
Sadly we will likely need to be relegated for that to happen, and if it does, the manager would need to join next season. If we hired them now, they will be hounded out well before they can build.

If Monk keeps us up, he will deserve to carry on, even if he isn't the long term option. I think we are simply stuck in a rock and a hard place, and panic appointments for pure survival will just keep us a very average championship club for the next 5 years. (See Birmingham)

Reading have possibly got away with a fluke appointment and have gone from bottom to top in a year, but they had that before with Jaap Stam, and that failed in the long term.