Good window

59 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

This is it. 

Many wanted the older players out as they were deemed wasters. That has happened, the supposed 'bad apples' have gone or are nowhere near involved and we have got a fair few new faces in.

I can't say I am that bothered about Flint but I like Marriott, we have kept Bannan and have a stronger squad now than we did 24 hours ago. Up to the manager and his chosen coaching staff to get the best of of them now as we should be more than 12 points better than at least 3 teams this season over the course of 46 games.  

Hope you're right. 

1 hour ago, Sefton owl said:

Completely agree. 

As per typical owlstalk, and I’m not ashamed to add myself to that list, that this will be completely forgotten by 5pm tomorrow should we not have a win. 

The sooner we get to 0 the better.

Say sooner we make inroads and start to catch the likes of Wycombe the better.

4 hours ago, LoanRanger said:

I totally agree. Being greedy, I would have loved Sanderson too. It also would have been nice to move on Westwood and maybe get Brennan and one or two others out on loan but I won't complain.

Marriott and Flint are really astute signings.

Get Westwood playing..our keepers are shybo

5 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Some good signings have been made but the fact that we still have no quality on either wing will let us down.

It’s been a better window than I expected and there were more players up for the fight we’re in than I expected.

Monk talks about the transition a lot but in some cases there has been some obvious short term thinking for the situation we’re in.

I think Flint, Marriott and Kachunga are short term signings. Brown may well turn out to be? I think only FDB and Adedoyin have been signed with the long term in mind TBH? Paterson, Windass and Dunkley have been signed with perhaps the next 2 or 3 seasons in mind?

I do believe he would’ve gone more down the FDB and Adedoyin route if we weren’t slap bang in a relegation battle and perhaps whatever division we’re in next season we’ll see this policy eventually but as I’ve said before the emphasis may be more on our own academy graduates rather than ones from elsewhere?

I think we’ve got a fighting chance of staying up but a lot will depend on Monk getting away from his style of constant chopping and changing plus as you say our lack of quality in the wide areas will probably bite us on the ar$e and I believe he’ll eventually have to ditch the wing back system for something else because of this but if he does this then our championship future may be more in the balance than it is now?

I think it’s been a great window. Most of the players signed are championship quality pro’s and considering many were saying we’d struggle to attract/sign anyone on -12 it has to be classed as a success. 

I think our squad now is arguably stronger than last seasons and whilst we may not have quality for an attractive style, we certainly have the character and a dogged determination in the group now that will be needed for the scrap we find ourselves in. 

I don’t think this season will be pretty. But I’m sure it will be effective, we’ll win lots of ugly games by a headed goal from a set piece. We won’t concede as many in last few minutes now when the other team bombard us with long balls. 

Next season we lose a lot of the high earners, with Bannan, Reach, Lees, Rhodes, Westwood up in the summer. Even if we recontract one or two from that, it should still be enough to fund that window, where we can hopefully bring in the quality that we miss and build on these solid foundations.

• Like 2

I think we have done well in terms of adding height, pace, physicality and getting some characters who will fight and have plenty to prove. 

We do miss that match winning quality afforded to us by joao, FF, murphy and fletcher in recent seasons. But for this season we need to be mid table points wise to have a chance of avoiding relegation. I think we have a better squad than the likes of Wycombe,

barnsley, Coventry, Rotherham and others are on a par so it’s just a case of wait and see now. I think it will be close but Izzy brown and Bannans quality will be key to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I think it’s been a great window. Most of the players signed are championship quality pro’s and considering many were saying we’d struggle to attract/sign anyone on -12 it has to be classed as a success. 

I think our squad now is arguably stronger than last seasons and whilst we may not have quality for an attractive style, we certainly have the character and a dogged determination in the group now that will be needed for the scrap we find ourselves in. 

I don’t think this season will be pretty. But I’m sure it will be effective, we’ll win lots of ugly games by a headed goal from a set piece. We won’t concede as many in last few minutes now when the other team bombard us with long balls. 

Next season we lose a lot of the high earners, with Bannan, Reach, Lees, Rhodes, Westwood up in the summer. Even if we recontract one or two from that, it should still be enough to fund that window, where we can hopefully bring in the quality that we miss and build on these solid foundations.

agreed, if we stop up we can go again. 4 of our signings from this summer could leave next summer too. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting how we went from this thread to the ones seen over the last couple of days , when all of these players were heralded as good signings are all now cast-offs and has beens.

Regardless of what people think of DC,   Monk has demonstrated that he simply isnt up to the task.   

Hes been an absolute  disaster.  Sadly, I do not have the foggiest as to how bad it needs to get before he gets sacked.  With no discord in the ground , there isnt really any way to voice discontent.   Social Media perhaps., but i think we know what DC thinks of that.

Perhaps he needs to hear it from Att.