Breaking- Premier league re structure

Plans being put together to reduce the number of teams to 18.

Thoughts? Another sign of elite level football greed? The article doesn’t have much detail but the implications will obviously be massive and who knows how it will impact other teams.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/premier-leagues-major-clubs-propose-shrinking-top-flight-of-english-football-in-major-shake-up-12101628

My in laws are Brighton season ticket holders, and the other day they were saying how they don’t think they should have to help out the EFL clubs.  Brighton FFS.  A team who has been in the EFL for 95% of their club history.   Just shows you what happens when you are in the PL, same happened to Bolton before.  The PL has created a monster and an unbalanced football pyramid.  Let’s see how the big boys like it when it’s like Scotland and every other game you play is against the same team. 

• Like 9

Just now, Southie_Owl said:

My in laws are Brighton season ticket holders, and the other day they were saying how they don’t think they should have to help out the EFL clubs.  Brighton FFS.  A team who has been in the EFL for 95% of their club history.   Just shows you what happens when you are in the PL, same happened to Bolton before.  

Our club and fans would be the exact same mate

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Our club and fans would be the exact same mate

Yes hence i said “just shows you what happens when you are in the PL”.  Teams forget where they’ve come from and where they will return in the next few years - then they will be loving the PL parachute payments and hand outs 

Edited by Southie_Owl
  • Like 5

The FA will be given £100 million as a gift 

it’s such a corrupt league 

the foundation of the football pyramid is being trampled on for nothing more than greed 

the history and heritage is being wiped out of the game by this new culture 

to be honest I wouldn’t be against a 3-4 division league structure breaking away like the we already have 

let the premier league be it’s own 10-20 trans and let’s get our game back 

no VAR domestic club cup competitions 

places for European comps granted 

effectively the championship becomes the the Premier league and they can have the power league No promotion or relegation or a one up one down process maybe even the championship winner being invited to the power league at the end of their successful campaign which they have the right to decline 

I feel sorry for teams that would just qualify to remain in it that wouldn’t be involved in the rest of the uks football let them be isolated in greed 

Christ we could have our own uk cup including Scottish and Welsh teams be the new FA cup see if the magic applies wider 

one thing we would need is a better formed and regulated governing body then those half wits EFL who already think they are god 

but let’s get our football back 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, fpowl said:

The FA will be given £100 million as a gift 

it’s such a corrupt league 

the foundation of the football pyramid is being trampled on for nothing more than greed 

the history and heritage is being wiped out of the game by this new culture 

to be honest I wouldn’t be against a 3-4 division league structure breaking away like the we already have 

let the premier league be it’s own 10-20 trans and let’s get our game back 

no VAR domestic club cup competitions 

places for European comps granted 

effectively the championship becomes the the Premier league and they can have the power league No promotion or relegation or a one up one down process maybe even the championship winner being invited to the power league at the end of their successful campaign which they have the right to decline 

I feel sorry for teams that would just qualify to remain in it that wouldn’t be involved in the rest of the uks football let them be isolated in greed 

Christ we could have our own uk cup including Scottish and Welsh teams be the new FA cup see if the magic applies wider 

one thing we would need is a better formed and regulated governing body then those half wits EFL who already think they are god 

but let’s get our football back 

A 'gift'? 

Why not just call it what it is, a bung? 

fizz knows what the 'big teams' would do as soon as they have their little club of nine permanent members that get to call all the shots.  None of them will ever be allowed to get relegated, that seems certain. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

A 'gift'? 

Why not just call it what it is, a bung? 

fizz knows what the 'big teams' would do as soon as they have their little club of nine permanent members that get to call all the shots.  None of them will ever be allowed to get relegated, that seems certain. 

I do think the ultimate aim is for the PL to be a closed shop with no relegation in their chase to keep more money for themselves.    They fail to recognise that promotion and relegation is what keeps football fresh and interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

My in laws are Brighton season ticket holders, and the other day they were saying how they don’t think they should have to help out the EFL clubs.  Brighton FFS.  A team who has been in the EFL for 95% of their club history.   Just shows you what happens when you are in the PL, same happened to Bolton before.  The PL has created a monster and an unbalanced football pyramid.  Let’s see how the big boys like it when it’s like Scotland and every other game you play is against the same team. 

A Newcastle fan said exactly the same to me two days ago. He'd seen that article in The Sun about how wealthy all Championship owners are, so apparently no EFL clubs need any help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I do think the ultimate aim is for the PL to be a closed shop with no relegation in their chase to keep more money for themselves.    They fail to recognise that promotion and relegation is what keeps football fresh and interesting. 

I think this reorganisation will allow them to rig it to have 'the best of both worlds'.  Promotion and relegation for the 'second class' Premiership clubs and if one of the Super Special Nine ever get in trouble, a quick vote for another 'reorganisation' to save them. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1