Premier League offer £50million bail out to lower league clubs

51 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

"Premier League clubs, while they may have some wealthy shareholders, are not awash with cash.”

*checks recent transfer fees being paid by billionaire chairmen to multimillionaire players and multimillionaire agents*

Hmmmmmmm

Well it’s kinda true isn’t it. There’s business money generated through revenue streams, and then there’s personal money.

Like DC for example, he’ll spend £1-2m out of his pocket if he thinks there’s value in it, but as a club we’re skint 

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Do Tescos pay solidarity payments to the corner shop? 

Do the corner shops get parachute payments from Tescos if they have to downsize? 

Does Tescos actively recruit staff from the corner shop and pay them a transfer fee when doing so? 

Do corner shops get promoted to the same level as Tescos and then relegated?

What Parrish is trying to say is: *we are in the Prem and we don't give a poo about the rest of you. Cheers.* 

Interestingly, I've read one of the many stipulations attached to said funding is theyll be no promotion or relegation if the PL or Champ do not complete 75 percent of their season. Wonder which clubs were pushing for that then? 

Morally you are right but when did morals come in to play in business?

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Morally you are right but when did morals come in to play in business?

There is none.

I just wish Steve Parrish would keep his trap shut.

We all know what's going on here.

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I don't see what that has to with it, they are a separate entity why should one club be responsible for another club?

Morally I can see and support your view but why is football somehow different to all other businesses? 

The TESCO comparison doesn't work, it's just a lazy analogy..... football clubs trade with each other and occasionally work together (eg. Loans) for the benefit of both clubs, I don't see that in retail

• Like 1

Just now, SiJ said:

There is none.

I just wish Steve Parrish would keep his trap shut.

We all know what's going on here.

Yep what a surprise he is looking after his own interests and its something the "smaller clubs " in the Premier have been looking for, for sometime to pull up the drawbridge and have a closed shop, will be interesting how a free enterprising supporting government would view that.

10 minutes ago, vulva said:

Let’s not forget that the ‘English’ Premier League is dominated by foreign players, owners and managers, and is funded by foreign money. It’s effectively an NFL style franchise. 

Exactly this. Many of the football club owners will never heard of clubs like Swindon, Barnet or Mansfield.
They didn't get mega rich by giving money away.

I think I read that League One and Two clubs were talking about a wage cap which to me is a sensible.

Average League 1 player is on £4,700 per week
Average League 2 Player on £1,200 per week
These figures are far too high.

47 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Haven't they improved grounds?

Improved the matchday experience?

Massively improved fan violence?

Eradicated racist chants to a large degree?

Brought in some of the best players that the world has ever seen?

Given fans the excitement of buying expensive players?

Improved the skill and ability of players?

Racked up the entertainment level?

And made millionaires out of many ordinary players, slimy agents, overpriced tickets, brought in the unfair parachute payments that totally distorts the concept of a level playing field in the Championship................  

There's a starter for ten. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Bang on

To me that highlights that your opinion of The Premier League, FFP, bailouts, fairness in football, helping out clubs in the lower leagues etc etc changes depending on whether you are IN the Premier League

How many of us would be crying out for Chansiri and others to help out Middlesborough and Barnsley if WE were in the Premier League?

Success changes opinion

I certainly wouldnt expect Barnsley to be getting anything seeing as their owners are worth about £9B. No idea what Gibson is worth nowadays but he's been considered exceptionally wealthy in the past.

It should depend on the relative wealth of the club and IF they need it. Salford City have an ownership group that doesnt need help, they should be allowed to bankroll their club to keep them going, like our owner should.

Plus Chansiri should be saying that we dont want our cut as long as the EFL rescind the points deduction. If they dont then we should be pleading poverty seeing as they have said we didnt have the means to spend what we did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRADDO said:

And made millionaires out of many ordinary players, slimy agents, overpriced tickets, brought in the unfair parachute payments that totally distorts the concept of a level playing field in the Championship................  

There's a starter for ten. 

So making millionaires out of working class lads is wrong? Letting some of them escape the drudgery of low paid jobs etc.

The other three I'll give you but would you take the game back fifty years?  To what it was?  

I'm aware that a lot of the problems are their own doing but it's worth remembering that PL clubs lost a combined £600m last year. 

What we are saying is that loss making businesses should bail out other businesses that make a bigger loss because a)they have higher revenue and b) they have richer owners. 

On that basis, we should be bailing out some other championship clubs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, londonowl said:

I'm aware that a lot of the problems are their own doing but it's worth remembering that PL clubs lost a combined £600m last year. 

What we are saying is that loss making businesses should bail out other businesses that make a bigger loss because a)they have higher revenue and b) they have richer owners. 

On that basis, we should be bailing out some other championship clubs.

and the reason why they lost £600million, transfer fees and wages and agents fees, their own doing, they all have the income to make money but they choose not to, nearly all league 1 and 2 teams are not choosing to lose money, they have no choice this season

10 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Still rankles with me that we were docked 12 points because our owner spent too much money, but now they're asking him to spend money to keep us going. And he'll be asked for a lot more between now and tbe end of this corona stuff. I'm sure it rankles with him too. 

It rankles me that he can't spend money yet teams coming down are given a chuffin party bag full of money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So making millionaires out of working class lads is wrong? Letting some of them escape the drudgery of low paid jobs etc.

The other three I'll give you but would you take the game back fifty years?  To what it was?  

No, I wouldn't want to go back 50 years. There have been positive improvements for sure. However, the financial pyramid is so imbalanced in favour of the Premier league it's unbelievable. I also don't find many Premier league fixtures as particularly attractive. Burnley V Brighton for example. It's so overhyped and the rewards for these clubs far exceed the entertainment they produce imo. 

• Like 2

I understand what the PL are saying. However, if all 72 league clubs fall away what happens then. The development of players and their academies helping make clubs money also falls away. 

Wages and fee's involved are mental anyway. I wish we had a breakaway league paying normal fee's again and taking it essentially back in time making this a working class sport again. Paying players normal wages and having normal ticket prices - where players pick where they want to play because they want to be a hero and not just always about the £££'s. Will never happen but lockdown and covid has made me and several fans by the sound of it disillusioned with football. 

PL for me as a Wednesday fan isn't a dream necessarily. I know Leicester won it but the chances are around 12/20 clubs up there or anyone promoted from Championship winning this is so minimal. If we stay up for a few years and become solid our highest aim would be what... 10th?? I would much rather the drama of the Championship which is not to say I don't want to go up and enjoy a promotion year but after a while it will become very dull - like Brighton/ Southampton/ West Ham - just making up the numbers. 

• Like 1