Premier League offer £50million bail out to lower league clubs

45 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Do TESCO buy produce from the local corner shop?.....no, do TESCO  lend their produce to the local shop to develop it?........ again, no

That isn't a valid comparison, it's just a soundbite

Precisely, football isnt like a conventional industry. The foundations of the sport are balanced upon the pyramid structure of which all clubs subscribe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Football has missed a huge opportunity with Covid. They had a chance to reconnect the game with real world. They’ve missed that opportunity and will pay for it for generations. I’m convinced people have, and will continue to walk away from the game. Turkeys have voted for Christmas here.  

It isn't football though - the players & agents currently hold all the cards.

3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

It isn't football though - the players & agents currently hold all the cards.

No they don’t. The owners and TV companies hold all the cards. The players and agents are just hanging on. 

Premier league clubs that in the last month have spent in excess of 1 billion pounds on players have hit the final nail in the coffin of English football.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12090622/premier-league-transfers-spending-breakdown-after-deadline-day

The GREED at the top of the English game is there for all to see. 

Arsenal sack staff on a minimum wage, as they are struggling then spend £45m on one player.

Liverpool use government furlough money while they continue to pay their first team £100,000's a week

Yep £50m between 72 clubs or about £690k each. Which is less than Norwich got last season for finishing last and also a lot less than 6 or 7 teams received this season in failure payments.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 14.47.30.jpg

Steve Parish, the Crystal Palace chairman, spelt out a common view among top-flight clubs in a column in The Sunday Times, saying: “Not one company in any other industry, to my knowledge, is being asked to bail out its competitors. The supermarkets aren’t instructed to help the corner shops. Premier League clubs, while they may have some wealthy shareholders, are not awash with cash.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-offering-grant-of-less-than-50m-to-bail-out-efl-clubs-p8l063hs8?shareToken=9d9840b8f8b7614e5e89be9d445a2f61

TBH. I agree with him, why should they bale out other clubs.

You could argue that government should give them the money as all clubs pay taxes. But that won't happen as there are far worthier causes than a small number of players who even al lower league earn better than most full time workers.

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Premier league clubs that in the last month have spent in excess of 1 billion pounds on players have hit the final nail in the coffin of English football.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12090622/premier-league-transfers-spending-breakdown-after-deadline-day

Arsenal sack staff on a minimum wage, as they are struggling then spend £45m on one player.

Liverpool use government furlough money while they continue to pay their first team £100,000's a week

Yep £50m between 72 clubs or about £690k each. Which is less than Norwich got last season for finishing last and also a lot less than 6 or 7 teams received this season in failure payments.

So just because a business is doing well , why should they give money away. 

Plenty of businesses making plenty of money should they give money to their rivals...

34 minutes ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

I understand what the PL are saying. However, if all 72 league clubs fall away what happens then. The development of players and their academies helping make clubs money also falls away. 

Wages and fee's involved are mental anyway. I wish we had a breakaway league paying normal fee's again and taking it essentially back in time making this a working class sport again. Paying players normal wages and having normal ticket prices - where players pick where they want to play because they want to be a hero and not just always about the £££'s. Will never happen but lockdown and covid has made me and several fans by the sound of it disillusioned with football. 

PL for me as a Wednesday fan isn't a dream necessarily. I know Leicester won it but the chances are around 12/20 clubs up there or anyone promoted from Championship winning this is so minimal. If we stay up for a few years and become solid our highest aim would be what... 10th?? I would much rather the drama of the Championship which is not to say I don't want to go up and enjoy a promotion year but after a while it will become very dull - like Brighton/ Southampton/ West Ham - just making up the numbers. 

There will always be young players available, look at the PL and leagues inn Europe, they find young kids from around the globe.  In an ideal world all clubs would do well but football has never been like that, some poor some rich.

8 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

So just because a business is doing well , why should they give money away. 

Plenty of businesses making plenty of money should they give money to their rivals...

If you think that us or Barnsley are rivals to Man Utd or Chelsea then I think you probably need to get your self check for Covid.

We don't start the season with £100m for finishing last we get £8m a season from sky, we lose gate receipts when games are on the red button or when sky mess with kick off times. But our turnover for the last few years gate receipts have account for 67% of our income for lower league clubs that figures is a lot higher.

Without the footballing world helping each other probably in the region of 20-30 clubs at least will fold. Of the current England team for the next international about 10 of them started at an EFL club and probably the rest of them have either made their league debut or spent sometime on loan here. 

Thanks to the GREED of the premier league a lot of these teams could well cease to exist after over 100+ year of history.

• Like 4

PL would do nothing to save clubs, they do not care if lower league clubs fold and would be happy to continue with only the PL

I sadly think we will see how really concerned they are over the coming months, clubs will very sadly fold.

• Like 2

They've had it too good for too long. It's bent as a nine bob bit. The obscene money they pay for players sales and wages has filtered down to the lower leagues, how could it not.?

You'd think this incomparable world crisis would have made the PL clubs look at things differently but obviously not when you see the crazy amounts are still being paid as we speak. It's truly disgusting. 

They assume they're invincible I suppose, like Mr Trump. 

Non PL team supporters, like myself, could make them less invincible by talking away our Sky subscriptions. 

It wouldn't be a killing blow but it might well be the card that makes the rotten house wobble. 

• Like 2

The very same top clubs showed how much they cared for the Football League; smaller clubs, history and tradition, when they threatened to break away and out of pure greed brought about the rebranding of the old top flight and the old European competitions in the first place back in the early 90s.

The average fan and football in general have been paying the price ever since, football showed how much it cared for its fans by carrying on without it's fans. It showed how much it cared for the fans and the roots of the game, with ridiculous ticket prices; ridiculous kick off times and an unfair disparity between the haves and have nots.

Football died as a working man's game and lost its sense of reality and it's competitiveness when the Premier League was formed. The top clubs have for years been hoping for more TV money and a European or World Super League. Parachute payments and P&S, show that they just care about themselves and they'd practically prefer a closed shop. As far as I'm concerned, football isn't the same game I grew up with and loved as a kid. Football is so far out of touch with reality and a business not a sport, that it will ultimately destroy itself, it's proud history, traditions and roots just for a bigger slice of the pie and an unfair advantage over the smaller clubs.

Football is dead and as been for a long time, the pandemic should have been managed better and a connection with its fans and communities could have been strengthened, instead as ever football thinks firstly like a business, and just cares about TV and money. Which is exactly what ruined football in the first place back in the early 90s.

• Like 4

Peanuts , tell you what Mr parish , here at the EFl we have spoken to the FA , here  Is our counter offer. Keep the £50 million. No promotion from EFl, no taking your shitty bottom three. No premier league players in England teams   . No entry to league cup or FA cup.

Oh and in future no EFL

player can sign for a premier league club and EFL can’t sign any of your overpaid rejects. 

Oh  and before you start thinking you could make that work. What happens to the 14 clubs that are left and your shitty league when the big six fizz off and form a European super league in two years time? 

I can answer that for you Palace will go bust yet again, you short sighted two hat now guck off! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Should Tesco be bailing out the local corner shop?  

Why would the local corner shop need bailing out? they've done rather well through the lockdown.

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Haven't they improved grounds?

Improved the matchday experience?

Massively improved fan violence?

Eradicated racist chants to a large degree?

Brought in some of the best players that the world has ever seen?

Given fans the excitement of buying expensive players?

Improved the skill and ability of players?

Racked up the entertainment level?

lol

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Exactly....

What should happen is the PL should be scrapped and all the clubs in England brought back together again under the umbrella of the EFL. One league, one family with monies distributed more evenly, not the divided 2 league system we have now.  But it won't happen.

By the way £50 million is the amount the PL will save by not having to pay Fulham and West Brom. parachute payments this season.

2 hours ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

I wish we had a breakaway league paying normal fee's again and taking it essentially back in time making this a working class sport again. Paying players normal wages and having normal ticket prices - where players pick where they want to play because they want to be a hero and not just always about the £££'s. Will never happen

You dont need to wish for it, just go to watch lower division football, it's the same thing. Any 'breakaway' with normal wages etc etc would end up being of that standard as not too many players share your vision of working for peanuts. Most would rather be a millionaire than a hero and who can blame them.