Premier League offer £50million bail out to lower league clubs

15 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

From a purely selfish, business point of view, he may have a point. But in any other sense this is utterly contemptible and demonstrates quite clearly how interested the elite (and most of the media sycophants) are in clubs lower down the pyramid. Someone should remind him where City were not so long ago and to get a bit of perspective and community spirit. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I agree with everything you say, but the question still applies, there will always be another club ready in to jump into the vacuum or it could even been a shortcut to a European League, which again I would think would only have a short term lifespan. 

But why would Club A who have looked after their financial dealings be happy to prop up Club B who haven't?  

club b have probably been very prudent but don’t get the same income without fans. Club a overspend but get a load of tv money so they don’t need the fans.

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

That's the law of the capitalist jungle why does it suddenly change when it comes to football?

As I said earlier. Because whilst football is purely capitalist (or is it, how many are profitable?!), there is also a sim biotic relationship between clubs and players at the top and the wider pyramid which must be worth a minor percentage of that huge tv cheque they get paid. This doesn’t apply elsewhere in business.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

As I said earlier. Because whilst football is purely capitalist (or is it, how many are profitable?!), there is also a sim biotic relationship between clubs and players at the top and the wider pyramid which must be worth a minor percentage of that huge tv cheque they get paid. This doesn’t apply elsewhere in business.

I agree with that but as I said another club will spring up and fill the vacuum.

I can't see how one company (club) can be forced to support another just doesn't happen anywhere else.  

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

I agree with that but as I said another club will spring up and fill the vacuum.

I can't see how one company (club) can be forced to support another just doesn't happen anywhere else.  

No other club can spring up any time soon if there are no fans permitted to watch EFL games. 

13 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

True but they can take the  TV contract money

But my point is that why should one company be forced to support another? 

Morally I agree with you but in the world of business there are no morals.

If the tv contract money was there then the issue is solved and the EPL have done their bit.

They won’t be forced, but there will be a vote presumably. There is a moral aspect but in my view there is a business supply chain in place that needs to be retained and that is what they get for their money. Clubs to buy talent from, nurture their talent and find homes for the ones they discard.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

In the United States, a strange and pathetic country in many important respects, sports teams and players do negotiate a set of rules to split the revenues that levels out some so that teams  in  Oklahoma City and New York City can compete on an approximately level playing field, the players get a guaranteed share of the revenues, and everyone makes money. It is not rocket science. It is a failure of imagination and character that the overlords of British football can’t or won’t figure out a way to organize that is better than the current arrangement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

In the United States, a strange and pathetic country in many important respects, sports teams and players do negotiate a set of rules to split the revenues that levels out some so that teams  in  Oklahoma City and New York City can compete on an approximately level playing field, the players get a guaranteed share of the revenues, and everyone makes money. It is not rocket science. It is a failure of imagination and character that the overlords of British football can’t or won’t figure out a way to organize that is better than the current arrangement.

Yeah its always surprised me that, you would have thought the USA would have our system and vice versa.

I watch an American Football fan on Youtube who has got in to our football and he was blown away by the idea of promotion and regulation.   Thought it was a brilliant idea and would stop sterile games towards the end of the season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Yeah its always surprised me that, you would have thought the USA would have our system and vice versa.

I watch an American Football fan on Youtube who has got in to our football and he was blown away by the idea of promotion and regulation.   Thought it was a brilliant idea and would stop sterile games towards the end of the season

Why on earth we Americans cannot see the superiority of promotion/relegation I will never understand. Would clean up acrimony in college athletics in a second.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

That's the thing it is a business not a charity. Might be harsh but companies have a right to look after themselves first

You have a very narrow view of things I am happy you are not running things or probably there would be a lot more people un employed.

Take SWFC, we go out of business as what you are saying could happen, we put all out staff at the club without a job, we have to then stop trading with all the companies we use which could mean them folding too, then there is the ancillary company such as the local shops, pubs, restaurant that need the match day trade to survive they also go out of business making all their staff unemployed to.

1 football club going bust could cost the job of 1,000's of people then think what will happen if 20-30 clubs go bust. Because this is not football club going into administration and reforming under a new name, they have no income they cease to exist.

But as long as the premier league can spend their millions on wages and £1.2b on transfer fees this window alone. As some one told me the £50m they offer is the figure they have saved in failure payment because West Brom and Fulham got promoted this season.

As the chairman of one of the league two club said yesterday the £56m for Dias spent by Man City this transfer window would have kept every club in league two trading for a year, to them it is their very existence to Man City it is just one player.

23 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You have a very narrow view of things I am happy you are not running things or probably there would be a lot more people un employed.

Take SWFC, we go out of business as what you are saying could happen, we put all out staff at the club without a job, we have to then stop trading with all the companies we use which could mean them folding too, then there is the ancillary company such as the local shops, pubs, restaurant that need the match day trade to survive they also go out of business making all their staff unemployed to.

1 football club going bust could cost the job of 1,000's of people then think what will happen if 20-30 clubs go bust. Because this is not football club going into administration and reforming under a new name, they have no income they cease to exist.

But as long as the premier league can spend their millions on wages and £1.2b on transfer fees this window alone. As some one told me the £50m they offer is the figure they have saved in failure payment because West Brom and Fulham got promoted this season.

As the chairman of one of the league two club said yesterday the £56m for Dias spent by Man City this transfer window would have kept every club in league two trading for a year, to them it is their very existence to Man City it is just one player.

Ok, well worded response. I am not disagreeing with the possible impact although, if we did go out of business. I am sure someone would pick it up as 20k + fans is attractive once Covid has ended.

It would be great if the PL did bale out the EFL but it is not their responsibility to do so. Football should not be treated as a special case over other industries.

On 06/10/2020 at 15:09, Inspector Lestrade said:

Should Tesco be bailing out the local corner shop?  

Maybe not, but Tesco might be expected to pay their taxes and costs just as the corner shop does.

I haven't seen Tesco accounts but Amazon, Google and Facebook all sell stuff but I'll bet that their tax/NI bills are nothing like in proportion to Grenville's on the street corner.

It's a little known fact that HMRC have discretionary powers which basically means that they receive what the multinationals want to give them (after discussing the topic over an agreeable business lunch, of course).

Once you are above a certain size then money begats more money whilst your competitors remain small.

2 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Maybe not, but Tesco might be expected to pay their taxes and costs just as the corner shop does.

I haven't seen Tesco accounts but Amazon, Google and Facebook all sell stuff but I'll bet that their tax/NI bills are nothing like in proportion to Grenville's on the street corner.

It's a little known fact that HMRC have discretionary powers which basically means that they receive what the multinationals want to give them (after discussing the topic over an agreeable business lunch, of course).

Once you are above a certain size then money begats more money whilst your competitors remain small.

Yep I did know that or certainly heard that before.  Hopefully its not true and these massive multinational companies willingly pay their taxes as billed if only for the honour of been allowed access to our markets.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2020 at 14:48, DJMortimer said:

Just to emphasise this disparity you refer to, in the 28 seasons of the Premier League, the major trophies have gone like this...

BIG SIX      THE REST

Premier League               26                 2  (one since 1995)

(runners up)               24                 4  (none since 1997)

(third place)               23                 5  (none since 2003)

FA Cup                             25                 3                        

League Cup                     19                 9  (two since 2004)

Thanks for this. Wow!!!! 

Surely this calls for a super league for them to go into or a promotion relegation format so the PL can be a bit more open. 

Looking at above it is damning evidence that football outside the top 6 seems pointless. 

Would be interesting to see the stats on the 28 seasons previous to PL. 

I've said before the way the football tier should work is that the reported £180m Premier money from Sky etc.. should be reduced to £150m.

The remaining £30m per club = £600m should be distributed pro-rata amongst the leagues below.

Oh and this way they could also scrap parachute payments.

20 minutes ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

Thanks for this. Wow!!!! 

Surely this calls for a super league for them to go into or a promotion relegation format so the PL can be a bit more open. 

Looking at above it is damning evidence that football outside the top 6 seems pointless. 

Would be interesting to see the stats on the 28 seasons previous to PL. 

1992/3 - 2019/20                                                  1964/5 - 1991/2

BIG SIX      THE REST                                            BIG SIX      THE REST

League Champions               26                 2  (one since 1995)                             18                10

(runners up)                    24                 4  (none since 1997)                           14                14

(third place)                    23                 5  (none since 2003)                           13                15

FA Cup                                   25                 3                                                         22                6   

League Cup                           19                 9  (two since 2004)                             13                15

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

1992/3 - 2019/20                                                  1964/5 - 1991/2

BIG SIX      THE REST                                            BIG SIX      THE REST

League Champions               26                 2  (one since 1995)                             18                10

(runners up)                    24                 4  (none since 1997)                           14                14

(third place)                    23                 5  (none since 2003)                           13                15

FA Cup                                   25                 3                                                         22                6   

League Cup                           19                 9  (two since 2004)                             13                15

Christ. What's the point in even bothering?! 

Fat cats getting fatter.

• Like 1