GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

24 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I’d say if we are not out of the bottom 3 by 1/12 then DC should be considering who he could bring in. 
This squad is capable of clawing back 12 points from some the dross in this league.
December sees us with an opportunity to take a lot of points. A lot on here say it’s a tough month, spin it round and look at it positively.

Regarding tactics, I’m of the view there’s not really a plan B. 
Thats mainly because there is no target man (like Fletcher), who can hold up the ball and allow the team to get up the pitch in numbers.

I would hope that if DC is backing Monk 100%, as he has by bringing in his back room team, he’ll bring in someone like Zohore. I’ve been a big critic of DC but got a feeling he’ll deliver on this.

Abd as for getting rid of Monk, I’m for anything that improves the club. Not sacking him for the sake of it, because we’re getting a pedigree replacement / rocking horse turd.

Fair enough mate, I agree with a lot of that and the idea of looking elsewhere if we are not out of the bottom 3 or at least in touching distance of 21st by 1st December is reasonable.

I understand why Monk wants to push a defined way of playing and like how the team used the same formation when the squad was completely rotated for the cup games but it needs to start bearing fruit soon and his preference to playing Harris on the wrong side and Reach in a position he doesn't look at all comfortable with is strange in my opinion. As was dropping Rhodes after two league games, one of which he had scored in and we had not been defeated - the way we played without a reognised striker at Walsall was evidence that didn't work and as you say a proper striker is a must.  

We’re all entitled to our opinions and no doubt we all love the club and want it to be successful, but I’ve seen nothing so far to suggest Monk is capable of delivering results and performances on a consistent basis. I just don’t believe in him but would love to be proven wrong.

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough mate, I agree with a lot of that and the idea of looking elsewhere if we are not out of the bottom 3 or at least in touching distance of 21st by 1st December is reasonable..  

We'll have played 14 games before December.

In the past five Championship seasons, you'd have needed an average of 13 points to be clear of the bottom three after 14 games.

Taking that as an indicator of what we'd need and adding our 12 point deduction, we'd need 25 points from our opening 14 matches to be clear of the bottom three by the start of December.

That's 1.79 points per game. Enough for 82 points across a season. Nigh on automatic promotion form.

That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

In the past five Championship seasons, you'd have needed an average of 13 points to be clear of the bottom three after 14 games.

Taking that as an indicator of what we'd need and adding our 12 point deduction, we'd need 25 points from our opening 14 matches to be clear of the bottom three by the start of December.

That's 1.79 points per game. Enough for 82 points across a season. Nigh on automatic promotion form.

My feeling going into this season is we should be aiming to be within touching distance of safety, I.e. 3 points off 21st by Christmas.  I think that’s a realistic aim and gives us a chance to stay up this season. 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I can't argue with the maths. But from a financial perspective this season some clubs cannot afford to buy in the kind of player to sustain themselves in this league. Covid presents a challenge that most clubs have not faced before. We are luckier than most in that respect. 

As usual after 3 games, some teams haven't even registered a point yet, the managerial merry go-round will start soon. I'm sure the chairmen at Derby and Cardiff will be already looking at alternatives, but for us  it's not a time to panic, - because our primary aim is simple - get to 21st and keep looking upwards. I fully agree with @hirstyboywonder and others have said regarding home form which needs to be turned round - or we will sink and Monk would rightly suffer. 

14 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You're the second poster who's alluded to this now.

Other than what happened here last season, what's so bad about Monk's second halves of seasons?

l said not very good at second Half’s. Second half of last season, second half of Watford and Bristol city games.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm not standing blindly behind him

I'm using my common to know he was dealt a terrible hand, and deserves a chance to see what he can do without his hands tied behind his back

So you think he can build a team and get it to gel in two months

It would be some achievement that

I think that the excuses people have made for Garry (didn’t have his own coaching staff, didn’t have his own players, had 2 or 3 bad apples in the squad) are not sufficient to excuse some of the pathetic performances after Christmas.

The effort, selections and tactics should have been better.

I feel some managers would never turn teams out showing that level of effort, it just wouldn’t be acceptable.

It is going to take a good run for me to get over that. I don’t like seeing or hearing him at the moment (particularly every time he talks about the ‘process’).

15 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Yeah, glad your not running my business. How many games will be DCs decision, but fail to get the results and he will be sacked.

Had you fully followed my comments in this thread, you would have to acknowledge I didn’t say that.

As for running your business, I only employ / retain people who pay attention.

• Haha 1

Guest Therealrealist
12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Good to see everyone getting behind the manager

Wether we get behind himbor not

.it will have zero affect on performances and results..it dosnt matter what the fans think or say..he just needs to win more games than he loses and fans will be happy

40 minutes ago, Sumi Shimamoto said:

I think that the excuses people have made for Garry (didn’t have his own coaching staff, didn’t have his own players, had 2 or 3 bad apples in the squad) are not sufficient to excuse some of the pathetic performances after Christmas.

The effort, selections and tactics should have been better.

I feel some managers would never turn teams out showing that level of effort, it just wouldn’t be acceptable.

It is going to take a good run for me to get over that. I don’t like seeing or hearing him at the moment (particularly every time he talks about the ‘process’).

Yes I agree he is playing for time, transition, process etc

He is totally out of his depth with   this job.

• Haha 1

On 01/10/2020 at 09:56, hasthagotanycheese said:

Okay, I'll bite.

Dear Monk "In" Rabble

We in the mob are concerned that our current manager has no proven track record of success at any of the number of clubs that he has managed. Add to this the absolutely woeful form that he oversaw since the start of the year (2nd worst in the league). Average (at best) managers dont suddenly become Brian Clough overnight. In addition to that there are a number of better managers currently out of work and available, one even has the same initials.

That said, DC has clearly backed his man and we recognise the need to pull together for the better of the club. Our powder will indeed be kept dry until results & performances go south under the current occupant of the Hillsborough hotseat.

Yours Sincerely - The Monk "Out" Mob

PS: Note to members - next meeting is on Saturday Morning at 6 am in Grenoside Woods (after the Dogging fraternity have gone home) for a 5 mile run to Wharncliffe Crags & back. Please dont forget your Ginger Wigs.

This!

With the addition that I will be delighted to be proved wrong. 

I do like a lot of what has gone on. I like the new signings, particularly Paterson. We are not an attractive proposition for players this season so Monk must be doing something to attract them. I like the Unity principle even if Mr Monk's refusal to pronounce the word correctly makes my skin crawl.

As yer man says above, average managers don't suddenly become great ones and we need someone with the potential to be great, but right here and now, Monk is the guy in the hot seat and I want him to succeed.

Edited by George
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Of course all those in this thread slating Monk are 'right behind the lads'

Facts are facts though and they prove Monk to be terrible.

It wasn't the 'Monk Out Mob' that started the thread. It was the 'Monk In Mob sparking negativity.

We have no option but to be behind Monk to be honest. Doesn't mean I think he's good at his job or I like his approach. But whilst he's in charge I still want him to win every match. 

• Like 2