GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

Well Put.

I dont understand why we should keep quiet p1ssing i the wind or not. We have a valid argument and for the most part we are all behind the team. 

Hate the fact if we think Monk should go its because we want to say I' I told you so' when SWFC suffer. 

No - its because we want to survive and get better -  that's why we want him gone. 

Although this year willing to see how the season unrolls first before casting judgement. 

They all want this blind optimism following the rubbish we watched over the last 9 months. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

Hate the fact if we think Monk should go its because we want to say I' I told you so' when SWFC suffer. 

No - its because we want to survive and get better -  that's why we want him gone. 

Although this year willing to see how the season unrolls first before casting judgement. 

They all want this blind optimism following the rubbish we watched over the last 9 months. 

Can't argue with that^^^

• Like 1

Unfortunately he will fail and I don't mean as almost every manager does btw. Some of you right now can't see that some can but don't want to see it... It's how much damage is done by that time. There you go the truth as I see it. It's not that I want to hamper his success just I've seen this so many times before.... hate it hate me whatever we all want success it's just so far NOTHING has increased my faith in him. I wish it had and before you talk about the first few results remember it's a long season and in a few months they won't mean much unfortunately.  Saying all the results made me think okay... prove me wrong.... but the signings SO FAR..... are not improving the squad past our squad last year that's over all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

Currently on 4 points after 3 games. Over a season we end up on 61/62 points minus the 12 leaving us with 49/50 points which could point to relegation.

The -12 isn't his fault and relegation even from a level start doesn't always mean the sack - look at BFR. What matters is the general direction of travel - especially with the handicap we have. 

I don't like Monk much to be honest but he is our manager and so should be given a fair crack of the whip with his own staff and players. Last year's slump doesn't bode well so I'm not expecting a great deal but they were in different circumstances and we have to give managers a bit of time to prove themselves. 

Having said that I haven't watched the games this season - I can't be bothered with football at the moment - so I have no idea how we've been playing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What about the first half of last season though?

Great first half. Without recycling this again and again but key players were dropped which followed poor results. Jos Luhukay also did same which also led to a downturn in results. 

If you were a good manager you would keep these 'key' players in and around the team whether the face fit or not. For example - if I owned a business I would keep my top sales person even if i hated them until a suitable replacement was found. GM did not do this. 

Monk's direct decision to drop them was a poor managerial choice when we were doing fantastic. 

There are other factors such as the points deduction but we all knew about this in September 19 when we were doing well so cant be used as an excuse. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The -12 isn't his fault and relegation even from a level start doesn't always mean the sack - look at BFR. What matters is the general direction of travel - especially with the handicap we have. 

I don't like Monk much to be honest but he is our manager and so should be given a fair crack of the whip with his own staff and players. Last year's slump doesn't bode well so I'm not expecting a great deal but they were in different circumstances and we have to give managers a bit of time to prove themselves. 

Having said that I haven't watched the games this season - I can't be bothered with football at the moment - so I have no idea how we've been playing. 

The fact is that we do have -12 and we need a team to over perform. Do I think he is capable of it? No from what I have seen so far.

It is not Monks fault no but it is a circumstance we need to navigate around and I do not believe he can. 

The mess the club was was unbelievable. We were walking a tight rope with financial regulations in wages were so high, they put us into trouble before anything else happened. 

If penalty is held we start agin so financial pressure eased although in last two years wage bill has fallen substantially as alot of dead wood has been shifted. An indication of the mess we were in is the calibre of clubs the players who have left Wednesday have gone to in last to years and yet some were arguing we should have tried to hold onto some of them. 

Clearly there were problems at the club and you could see that in performances in second half of last year. Who ever was in charge during this period would find it difficult and to be fair Monk has conducted himself well during this difficult time.

We are not able to shell out huge transfer fees so we have to have a team of 100% grafters, the ability to bu fancy dans is no longer possible. From what I have seen buying policy has been sensible and we should end up with a hard working unit which grinds out results.

I think monk should go 

I'm not in no mob cus I'm not 5 years old 

It's not point scoring or I told you so 

Anyone who thinks that is just pathetic 

I want the best for Sheffield Wednesday 

IMO monk isn't the best for Sheffield Wednesday 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

I think monk should go 

I'm not in no mob cus I'm not 5 years old 

It's not point scoring or I told you so 

Anyone who thinks that is just pathetic 

I want the best for Sheffield Wednesday 

IMO monk isn't the best for Sheffield Wednesday 

No mate that’s not how it works. 

If you don’t take the moral high ground then you don’t want what’s best for Wednesday.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

No mate that’s not how it works. 

If you don’t take the moral high ground then you don’t want what’s best for Wednesday.

I didn't take the moral high ground. I didn't imply anything about any type of OwlsTalker.  I was just pointing out that it's futile to call for Monk to go at this point in time because everything indicates that Mr Chansiri is backing him.  You'll just send yourself crackers if you keep on asserting that Monk isn't good enough and, therefore, should go.     

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I honestly believe that ALL clubs  should be banned from ever sacking a manager mid-season

They should be forced to stick with their chosen manager from the start of a season to the end of it

And the manager shouldn't be allowed to say bolllloxe to this, I'm off.

:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

This just isn't true though is it. Monk has one of the worst PPG of any SWFC manager EVER!!! Think he is on par or even worse than Jos. Were hardly being irrational wanting him gone. 

Last season I was fully in the 'Monk out' mob. Whoever was in the MONK IN mob at this time needs checking. 

However DC has backed him and it seems that maybe I could be proven wrong at this time as the team seem concentrated. Looking at the PPG this season We would end up on 61/62 points which again is worrying with the -12 as well meaning 49/50 points looking to relegation. In the current state we would be on 0 points by end of game 9 - this is not good enough to compete IMO. 

Basically the jury is out for me still but I will keep my mouth shut on him until the season develops more. 

You're in the "Monk in" mob then ?  

3 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Out of interest, who are the better managers out there that would realistically tick all the boxes for the Monk out brigade.

Required CV

Premier league winner ( minimum 2)

Champions league winner

FA cup winner

League cup winner

German league winner

Italian league winner

Spanish league winner

Must play Westwood

Must win every game

Must score min of 9 goals per game ( especially at home)

Must concede 0 While playing a 1-1-9 formation.

Must never play badly

Must only play the players the brigade says must play.

Must Be able to bring in a 40 goal a season striker for £12.50

I’m struggling to be fair😎

Whoa!!! Who said anything about brigades?!! I'm talking about mobs not brigades.  Start your own thread if you want to talk about brigades!!

5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm a Monk fan

Time will tell if Monk is a success or not

But for supporters to have called for his sacking, when he's just completed his first year without his coaching staff, and without being allowed to purchase a single player

It's just unbelievable

Give the man a chance, we've had a losing culture at this football club for 20 years, that won't be changed overnight

Spot on Hoot!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

For me Monk has 10 games to get into positive numbers or he is gone, if we are in the bottom 3 come Xmas he is gone to give the new man who ever that be 20 games to keep us up.

By Christmas, we'll have played 20 league matches.

Given that the average number of points required to be clear of the bottom three after 20 games in the past six Championship seasons is 19, we'd need to achieve 31 points from our first 20 matches once you factor in our points deduction.

However, over the past six Championship seasons, 44 points is the average needed to stay up, meaning we probably need to average 1.3 points per game to ensure we stay up despite our points deduction. Although we'd be on track to avoid relegation, this would see us sat on 14 points at Christmas, and almost certainly still in the bottom three.

Would you really want to sack our manager if he had us on track to overcome our points deduction and stay up by the end of the season, though?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

By Christmas, we'll have played 20 league matches.

Given that the average number of points required to be clear of the bottom three after 20 games in the past six Championship seasons is 19, we'd need to achieve 31 points from our first 20 matches once you factor in our points deduction.

However, over the past six Championship seasons, 44 points is the average needed to stay up, meaning we probably need to average 1.3 points per game to ensure we stay up despite our points deduction. Although we'd be on track to avoid relegation, this would see us sat on 14 points at Christmas, and almost certainly still in the bottom three.

Would you really want to sack our manager if he had us on track to overcome our points deduction and stay up by the end of the season, though?

Would we go down say if we averaged 1.2 points per game?

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

Of course if we go down we could well not come back for quite a few years. We would lose at least £10m from the drop in tv money and other incomes. We would have to get rid of 90% of the first team due to the league salary caps in 

Any relegated team can honour contracts already in place at the divisional.average.

Edited by Nero