GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't need to

We know it's happening

Same as racists  never post or say out loud that  they're proud racists

Same thing

It happens, it's obvious, but they never admit  it

You didn't answer my question mate. Just one post will do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Like how you erase the first half of last season and any times we play well/win you mean?

He managed into this good situation yes - following that managed us to our worst form ever and worst PPG of any manager. It's not rocket science its facts. Those that want him gone look at the PPG and realise its not good enough. 

I want to win every game and I hate losing. If he is losing with us (look at record) more often than not then he has to go. Its part and parcel of the game. Why should I support the manager when he is evidently failing? Monks job is to win football matches if he doesn't then he should go. His record is shambolic from the turn off the year. 

As mentioned earlier give him ten games and see where we are at then and only based on PPG should he be allowed to stay or go. He should have already run out of chances after the rubbish at the end of last year. 

Comparing the people that may think a change in manager is needed to succeed this year and stay up to  closet racists is just mental! 

6 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Surely you can see the issue with looking at our points haul after only four games, though?

If we win our next game, then our points per game jumps to 1.6 and we'd be looking at finishing the season on 61 points. Just as that wouldn't suggest we were on track for a successful season after only five matches, nor does our current points tally suggest we're doomed after only four games.

We'll have tough runs of games where we struggle for points, and we'll have easier spells where the points roll in more readily. Our opening 4 games against Cardiff, Watford, Bristol City and QPR probably err towards the tougher end of the spectrum, but ultimately it's just too early to tell.

I imagine after a dozen games we'll have a much clearer idea of our prospects for the season ahead.

I think we've shown impressive team shape and organisation in these opening few weeks of the season, and have limited our opponents to only a handful of decent chances. The effort and coherence of the team looks much better than it did for large parts of last season, too.

As for Saturday's game, it was a typical battle between two average Championship sides who largely cancelled each other out and made it a difficult afternoon for each other. 

We weren't great, but we weren't bad either. As I said, it was a typical Championship battle. At the start of the second half, I thought we got on top of them and deserved to take the lead. After bringing on Pelupessy, we looked fairly comfortable in defence and were frustrating QPR's attacking intentions. Hitting them on the break also led to our most clear-cut chance of the game, which Luongo unfortunately spurned.

I thought we defended well with 11 men on the pitch. Unfortunately, we suffered a ridiculous sequence of injuries which saw us reduced to ten men, and the equaliser came in the 96th minute whilst our centrebacks were Odubajo, Paterson and van Aken.

It was intensely frustrating, but sometimes these things conspire against you.

We've made a solid start to the season in our opening four games. To have taken five points from Cardiff, Watford, Bristol City and QPR is better than many on here were predicting and gives us a platform on which to build.

I agree that our strikeforce is a concern, though - without Fletcher last season we looked toothless. I like the energy Windass, Kachunga and Paterson bring, but whether or not the goals will follow remains to be seen. They've barely had any time to form an understanding yet, though. Hopefully with some dedicated time together on the training pitch, that will start to develop and we'll start to see a more effective frontline taking shape.

Completely understand your point of view. I had mentioned allowing 10 games to see where our PPG is at before firing or having blind optimism in him. Basically the jury is out for me and the reason I am not optimistic is he has been a proven failure at our club so far. 

Interesting you saw the QPR game like you did as above. I thought they were there for the taking abnd we should be up and at them. 

If he had a decent season last season maybe I would feel different and be more optimistic heading into this season. But the truth is he is currently worse than Jos. 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Same as racists  never post or say out loud that  they're proud racists

Same thing

It happens, it's obvious, but they never admit  it

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yea that's EXACTLY what I did - and in that context too

facepalm.png

??? Seems like a comparison to me. 

3 minutes ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

Comparing the people that may think a change in manager is needed to succeed this year and stay up to  closet racists is just mental! 

That right there is without doubt the batsh-t craziest thing i've read for an absolute age,...................................madness.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Nope - try again but this time apply some context and some intellect

Aside from this - you ignore the rest of the post and many other posters points of view. Apart from our good start last season which he managed us out of you haven't given any reason to keep him. It's just optimism that isn't backed up by facts. 

Just now, SouthernOwl24 said:

you ignore the rest of the post and many other posters points of view.  

No I don't

I just don't subscribe to joining in with mob mentalities without considering the facts, stats, evidence, extenuating circumstances, barriers to success and other mitigating factors

You jump right in though if you want to be one of the cool kids x

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No I don't

I just don't subscribe to joining in with mob mentalities without considering the facts, stats, evidence, extenuating circumstances, barriers to success and other mitigating factors

Many on here have posted Monk's stats as Wednesday manager, yet you refuse to consider them. 

18 minutes ago, SouthernOwl24 said:

Completely understand your point of view. I had mentioned allowing 10 games to see where our PPG is at before firing or having blind optimism in him. Basically the jury is out for me and the reason I am not optimistic is he has been a proven failure at our club so far. 

Interesting you saw the QPR game like you did as above. I thought they were there for the taking abnd we should be up and at them. 

If he had a decent season last season maybe I would feel different and be more optimistic heading into this season. But the truth is he is currently worse than Jos. 

Fair comments.

The second half of last season was terrible, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in so far as he was clearly overseeing the slow, painful death of a team which had well truly run its course and needed rebuilding. I doubt we'll ever find out the truth of the matter, but it also appeared to me like something happened behind the scenes which contributed to our form falling off a cliff edge in the new year.

My main concern going into this season is that thanks to our reckless spending in the past, we're having to replace proven quality with hopeful punts in the transfer market, meaning we have a player-for-player weaker squad than we've had in recent seasons. That doesn't mean that we should necessarily expect worse results to follow, though - as we've seen countless times before, a team can often be greater than the sum of its parts.

Whether or not Monk and his coaching team will be able to forge the kind of team spirit needed to overcome our obvious deficiencies in the way that they did at Birmingham remains to be seen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No I don't

YES!!!!!!! I'M COOL AT LAST😛

27 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Many on here have posted Monk's stats as Wednesday manager, yet you refuse to consider them. 

I've never refused to consider them

What I HAVE done however is disregard people who cherry pick stats to try and back up their anti-Monk agenda, who don't take into account any of the good results we've had, don't take into account any mitigating circumstances.

Why?

Because I've got a brain and the 'mob' mentality doesn't sit right with me

I also like to think for myself based on facts and evidence and mitigating circumstances and don't pay any heed to people who just post the same cherry picked stats again and again and again and again and again and again and again in every. single. thread.

Now..

Contrast that with the quality of your posts where you jump into every thread going and repetitively just repeat over and over and over again a small selection of results from Garry Monk's tenure whilst trying to convince everyone that Monk is the anti-christ and the mob should get their burning torches and march him out of town

(whilst at the same time telling us how you 'hope Gary proves me wrong' and 'But I'm still right behind the lads')

I know which camp I'd rather be in and guess what?

You aint' getting me in your tent tonight x

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not wrong about people wanting us to lose so they can spaff themselves and post 'told you so'  about Garry Monk

It's definitely the case

This is absolute drivel I’m afraid mate. 

Nobody wants to see Wednesday lose and this has always been a lazy argument.

It’s just a fact in any walk of life. When you’re not happy with the way things are going - you are likely to vent or moan. When things are going well you just tend to get along with things because there’s nothing to complain about. 

I know you know how it works really, and I admire your positivity. But Wednesday fans are realistic and they see what’s happening on the pitch and they point to the alarming stats. It doesn’t point in Monk’s favour. We’ve been on the slide since January. This reaction is not unjustified or unexpected. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

His record starts from the day he became manager. You can't just erase out the bad bits. 

Why not? no one seems to want to mention being third at Xmas....and the only relevant monk record begins this season...he has brought in his own back room team,some of his own players(though we still have the rump of last seasons failing squad) and a new season to go at...

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You're sooooo naive

Nope. No Wednesdayite on this forum hates Monk that much they’d rather see Wednesday lose than win to say ‘HAHAH TOLD YOU SO’. 

People who come on here and moan about Monk do so because they care and want the best for Sheffield Wednesday. FACT. 

I actively want Monk to prove me wrong. I’m just tired of boring football, negative subs, chopping and changing, dropping points in the last minute, abysmal home form.

When all or some of the above has been happening for almost a year now under the same manager. I can say with confidence he will never turn it around. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

We don't create enough chances, and our forwards are not good enough to convert the few we make.

We are playing Wimbledon-esque football, without the players to do it. Long, direct hoofballs, percentage football from a bygone era, yet with players who can actually play being bypassed.

Players are out of position, and since we insisted on playing 5 at the back (lets not pretend its a 3) our results, performances and football have got even worse.

I think even without a points deduction, we would be in a relegation fight with this manager and his style of football, we are pretty much doomed if we don't win the appeal.

Watch any Premier league match and you will see plenty of the said 'football from a bygone era' quality is just better thats all...long ball game is alive and well..