GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

13 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

When he came in we were doing OK. He had a pretty much fully fit squad, and he did well results wise until Xmas. So I’m not sure he was dealt such a terrible hand.

As I’ve said before on here, what happened after Xmas I don’t know, but result and performances were unacceptably bad.

He’s been given a chance by DC and I hope he comes good again.

You're not sure he was dealt a terrible hand?

He just recently signed his first player, over 12 months after joining

He just recently brought in his own staff 12 months after joining

The dressing room was full of under achieving has beens

Some sat on the treatment table on terrific wages

I think that's a pretty terrible hand

Monk has the minerals to sort it

• Like 4

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, Sumi Shimamoto said:

I think that the excuses people have made for Garry (didn’t have his own coaching staff, didn’t have his own players, had 2 or 3 bad apples in the squad) are not sufficient to excuse some of the pathetic performances after Christmas.

The effort, selections and tactics should have been better.

I feel some managers would never turn teams out showing that level of effort, it just wouldn’t be acceptable.

It is going to take a good run for me to get over that. I don’t like seeing or hearing him at the moment (particularly every time he talks about the ‘process’).

Perhaps you should turn your attention to the players who thought it was okay to show that level of effort

Once players go out on the pitch, they are responsible for their own performance

The fact you admit some players showed poor level of performance, is down to the player, no one else, the player

It's about time some people stopped defending these overpaid charlatans

Monk has seen we have players with bad attitudes, he's driving them out

Forget the results, look at the level of performance, especially the workrate

Monk has got them working hard, if he's given the funds to add some real quality to the squad, we can achieve things

• Like 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, Therealrealist said:

Wether we get behind himbor not

.it will have zero affect on performances and results..it dosnt matter what the fans think or say..he just needs to win more games than he loses and fans will be happy

Do you honestly believe that tripe? They all read social media and it’s been documented a fair few read Owlstalk. Negativity doesn’t help with performance, in any profession not just football 

43 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

NOTE

Whenever anyone posts "I will be delighted to be proved wrong" that always means 'I hope we get relegated so I can post 'told you so'

No it doesn't ya big meany.

(But you clearly didn't mean it because you didn't finish with FACT in capital letters)

Edited by George
  • Haha 1

I've been a bit out of the loop recently what with other stuff going on; I've barely been on Owlstalk and haven't listened to more than ten minutes of Football Heaven in the last three weeks. Are people really calling for Monk to go after one defeat?

I'm not his biggest fan but that's fecking ridiculous.

Just now, George said:

I've been a bit out of the loop recently what with other stuff going on; I've barely been on Owlstalk and haven't listened to more than ten minutes of Football Heaven in the last three weeks. Are people really calling for Monk to go after one defeat?

They were just waiting for the first defeat to unleash their ignorant hater bile

Owlstalk Shop

28 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They were just waiting for the first defeat to unleash their ignorant hater bile

That's ******** ridiculous. 

I'm no Monk fan. A quick look at my posts will tell you I thought he was the wrong appointment, I don't like the bloke and last season was bloody awful. 

But this year, he told us what the plan was, he has stuck to it, the team are following it and it's working. Whilst all that remains the case a change would be suicide. 

We are in enough trouble already without going back to square one now. 

Besides, by calling for his head after one defeat people make themselves look daft. If they are right then we will lose a few more and they can vent then without looking like colossal cockwombles. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, George said:

People are not calling for him to go after 1 game but equally since the turn of the year we have won just 5 league games of 24 games picking up 21 points out of 72. A record that would probably get any other manager the sack in any league in the world.

This season we need at least 60 points which is 20 wins out of 46 to stay in the league. Fans will give Monk some time but his past record being so poor, if things do not improve quickly and we start picking up wins and points more regularly we can not afford to let this drift too long.  

My personal view is he has 10 games to get positive, if not then we need to be looking for a new manager. He achieves that then we look where we are end of November if we are still adrift of 4th bottom by quite a few wins then Monk has to be replaced. Because in December we have 8 games or 24 points to play that come in quick succession. With a new manager we could get the new manager bounce we could pick up a lot of points very quickly, but equally if the team is not performing under Monk and DC does not get rid, we could get to January that far drift we are effectively relegated.

I am all for giving Monk a chance but equally we need to split the season into sections, if he does not achieve certain goals at certain times, we have to get rid to give the new man the maximum amount of time to keep us up. the club is too badly run currently, if we get relegated it would probably finish us off and in the current financial climate we might never recover.  

3 minutes ago, George said:

That's ******** ridiculous. 

I'm no Monk fan. A quick look at my posts will tell you I thought he was the wrong appointment, I don't like the bloke and last season was bloody awful. 

But this year, he told us what the plan was, he has stuck to it, the team are following it and it's working. Whilst all that remains the case a change would be suicide. 

We are in enough trouble already without going back to square one now. 

Besides, by calling for his head after one defeat people make themselves look daft. If they are right then we will lose a few more and they can vent then without looking like colossal cockwombles. 

100%

They're just nutters mate

Owlstalk Shop

I was speaking to a current professional player (never played for wednesday) last week.  He said it was well known about a handful of players ruling the dressing room at wednesday.   To be fair he is a friend of  monk  so he was sympathetic towards him.   He told me that those players had caused Monk a few issues in training early on and thats why he got them out of first team training.  Also that the coaching team he had last year was very poor and the chairman is insane.

Nothing we don't know I suppose but kind of confirming what I had been guessing for a while.

I just think Monk needs a fair crack this year.  

Edited by Savo

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Perhaps you should turn your attention to the players who thought it was okay to show that level of effort

Once players go out on the pitch, they are responsible for their own performance

The fact you admit some players showed poor level of performance, is down to the player, no one else, the player

It's about time some people stopped defending these overpaid charlatans

Monk has seen we have players with bad attitudes, he's driving them out

Forget the results, look at the level of performance, especially the workrate

Monk has got them working hard, if he's given the funds to add some real quality to the squad, we can achieve things

Both the players and manager need attention regarding that level of effort, but I have formed the opinion that Garry should've been able to better 'manage' the players and achieve a better level of effort.

Surely motivating players is part of his role.

Do you think it was an impossible situation, unavoidable to turn out some truly pathetic performances and that other managers would have done the same?

He has been able to clear out (which was going to happen anyway) and recruit players of his choosing (within financial constraints) which presumably he feels he can actually 'manage', so we will see how he gets on.