GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

Very much on the fence. 

Let's be honest, his record is absolute bobbins, but then there are some mitigating factors - an ageing squad with some questionable egos, not having his own coaching staff and so forth. 

Still - some of our performances were beyond embarrassing last season and he has to take his fair share of responsibility for that. 

He's now got his own players (have to say, the recruitment has been solid) and his own coaching staff. We've made a reasonable enough start, albeit I still have some nagging doubts about us - namely, our lack of ability to take/fashion good chances and whether he sets us up in a way which means we can win games at home. 

Big game tomorrow for Monk imo. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Savo said:

I was speaking to a current professional player (never played for wednesday) last week.  He said it was well known about a handful of players ruling the dressing room at wednesday.   To be fair he is a friend of  monk  so he was sympathetic towards him.   He told me that those players had caused Monk a few issues in training early on and thats why he got them out of first team training.  Also that the coaching team he had last year was very poor and the chairman is insane.

Nothing we don't know I suppose but kind of confirming what I had been guessing for a while.

I just think Monk needs a fair crack this year.  

That doesn’t fit the narrative though mate, Monks clueless and has no idea how to manage a football club, remember that 

Being serious you could tell from his early interviews he was holding back on letting some home truths slip 

The SWFC media department, and indeed the local journalists have been full on pushing the message of things having changed.

It feels a little forced a lot of the time—and yet, beyond the message, I'd say the performances have clearly exhibited a sea-change in how we play. Still the 3-5-2 from the back-end of last season, but the aggressive pressing to win the ball back when we're out of possession has been great to see. And it's in this that it's most obvious that however much talk there is, from what we've seen on the pitch this season, the players have bought into how Monk's instructing them to play. That's really important.

So, as for Monk, I'd say his stated plan is beginning to work, in my opinion. We're not quite there, but the added attributes that Paterson ought to bring should help shift us further towards making it work, although I think we still need another forward and possibly another wing-back too.

My disbelief in Monk's abilities as a manager pertain to last season and what was, in my view, his reckless decisions once the EFL charge had been announced last December.

I think he assumed we'd be hit with the point deduction that season, and recognizing that promotion would almost certainly be ruled-out, he decided to expedite the changes he'd otherwise have had to wait to make during the summer. You can well understand the thinking behind this, and see the advantages of using a season that's written-off as an extended preparatory for making positive changes for the following season.

I guess he figured that even with a points-deduction, given how many points we'd already accrued, we were in little danger of relegation. But one way or another the situation really blew up in his face, and our form and performances took an incredible nosedive. Though his goal was future-focused and certainly well-intended, his management of the actual process of this change seems to have been far too impatient and therefore irresponsible.

Whatever he felt about the likes of Hutchinson, Westwood and any of the other players he knew he wanted to move on, the pragmatic thing would surely have been to use these players while the need existed (and it certainly existed last season). But we weren't relegated (though would've been had the points been deducted last season), so he got massively got away with one there.

In this regard though, there's a definite sense in which this criticism belongs to the past because it's specific to a problem that won't repeat itself whilstever he's the manager, namely of how a manager goes about changing a squad from how he inherited it to how he wants it to be and getting whatever ‘control’ over it that he feels he needs. Since he seems to have done that now, he won't need to do it again.

So it's something of a clean slate, I suppose, and as I say, I've been impressed with aspects of our performances this season, and since those aspects are consistent with what Monk's said he wants to do, I'm finding myself beginning to be persuaded by his capability to manage us going forward.

But it's just a start and it has to continue. These next four or five fixtures are huge in so far as they'll tell us whether Monk's actually going to get this right. They won't technically make or break the season, but I think with the points-deduction in mind, they will make or break whether it'll be Monk that can be the one to take us forward.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Savo said:

I was speaking to a current professional player (never played for wednesday) last week.  He said it was well known about a handful of players ruling the dressing room at wednesday.   To be fair he is a friend of  monk  so he was sympathetic towards him.   He told me that those players had caused Monk a few issues in training early on and thats why he got them out of first team training.  Also that the coaching team he had last year was very poor and the chairman is insane.

Nothing we don't know I suppose but kind of confirming what I had been guessing for a while.

I just think Monk needs a fair crack this year.  

It could be there are/were difficult players and Monk is a bit poo. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. But I agree we should give him bit of time. 

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, two senior pros (Hutchinson and Westwood) were binned off by two managers. 

Make of that what you will, but it doesn't look great. 

And not binned off by Gray, Carlos, Bullen and Bruce - quite the opposite in fact. Complicated business.  Gray and Bruce v Monk and Jos. Tough call. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Whatever he felt about the likes of Hutchinson, Westwood and any of the other players he knew he wanted to move on, the pragmatic thing would surely have been to use these players while the need existed (and it certainly existed last season). But we weren't relegated (though would've been had the points been deducted last season), so he got massively got away with one there. 

= HE WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, The_Limit_Owl said:

It really is, go look it up, we charge the same as the majority of clubs, it's all spawned from the pricing for Bristol City fans at S6 first game of season 2016 (or whenever it was) and the media frenzy it caused, since then our POTG pricing, the actual POTG pricing, it's the same as all other Championship clubs.

The myth is bandied about the angrymads and the stayaways as a stick to beat DC with.

Don't believe the myth!

lol

I look forward to seeing your proof. 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

And not binned off by Gray, Carlos, Bullen and Bruce - quite the opposite in fact. Complicated business.  Gray and Bruce v Monk and Jos. Tough call. 

Gray - the fans wanted rid of him
Carlos - Ruined the club
Bullen - the fans were frothing at the mouth to get rid of him
Bruce - did a massive dirty on us and ran off

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Gray - the fans wanted rid of him
Carlos - Ruined the club
Bullen - the fans were frothing at the mouth to get rid of him
Bruce - did a massive dirty on us and ran off

Jos was poo

Monk is poo

It's been a good run. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Bull shine!

Really,  I was expecting more comments along the lines of 'tell us something we didn't know'.

Just don't see how you can judge Monk properly just yet when he hasn't had his own staff or any of his own players.   

Baffles me sometimes.  Where do you think we are in the football world where you think we can attract a better manager?   We either take a chance on a lower league manager or a random foreigner which are both lotteries.   Monk is a steady manager at this level,  he's still young and at the minute the players seem to be fighting for him.  Give him a chance and see what happens. 

• Like 1