GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

Just now, Savo said:

Really,  I was expecting more comments along the lines of 'tell us something we didn't know'.

Just don't see how you can judge Monk properly just yet when he hasn't had his own staff or any of his own players.   

Baffles me sometimes.  Where do you think we are in the football world where you think we can attract a better manager?   We either take a chance on a lower league manager or a random foreigner which are both lotteries.   Monk is a steady manager at this level,  he's still young and at the minute the players seem to be fighting for him.  Give him a chance and see what happens. 

Monk was out of a job after falling out with a few chairmen on the bounce. He was the Keiran Westwood of the manager world. The press conference when we appointed him was an absolute shocker - as low key as a Leonard Cohen song. We needed a manager - he needed a job and that was as far as it seemed to go.

But we appointed him and he's the manager now so we have to give him a proper shot at it. 

Just now, rickygoo said:

Monk was out of a job after falling out with a few chairmen on the bounce. He was the Keiran Westwood of the manager world. The press conference when we appointed him was an absolute shocker - as low key as a Leonard Cohen song. We needed a manager - he needed a job and that was as far as it seemed to go.

But we appointed him and he's the manager now so we have to give him a proper shot at it. 

I agree he has a reputation,  but an ok record at this level.  Nothing spectacular but nothing terrible either.   We weren't going to get anyone any better, unless we took a risk on the Cowley's,  but that was a gamble.

Give him a go and get behind him.  THe players are putting a shift in for him at the minute.  IF that changes and we are struggling at xmas then it maybe time for change.  

Just now, Savo said:

I agree he has a reputation,  but an ok record at this level.  Nothing spectacular but nothing terrible either.   We weren't going to get anyone any better, unless we took a risk on the Cowley's,  but that was a gamble.

Give him a go and get behind him.  THe players are putting a shift in for him at the minute.  IF that changes and we are struggling at xmas then it maybe time for change.  

I can't get behind him. They won't let me. 

24 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Hang on...................................I liked Leonard Cohen..............................One of Us Cannot Be Wrong

Monk has said before he sees Neil Warnock as a mentor.... his idea of bringing in loads of grafters up front is no good if none score enough goals. You can have one running round who doesn't score many but disrupts their defence but you need a goal scorer next to them. All run and no finishing won't work .

Also following Warnock means horrible style (he has managed that quite often) BUT the main thing with Warnock is he ALL man management. Not a tactical genius. Plays hard working lump it football. I hate that style BUT he has been successful with it. Monk has shown he has terrible man management skills so won't replicate any of Warnock success. 

Anyone thinking Monk can be successful is neededing his new team to take over everything for him..... he proved he can't do it. He also makes catastrophic substitutions.... 

4 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

Monk has said before he sees Neil Warnock as a mentor.... his idea of bringing in loads of grafters up front is no good if none score enough goals. You can have one running round who doesn't score many but disrupts their defence but you need a goal scorer next to them. All run and no finishing won't work .

Also following Warnock means horrible style (he has managed that quite often) BUT the main thing with Warnock is he ALL man management. Not a tactical genius. Plays hard working lump it football. I hate that style BUT he has been successful with it. Monk has shown he has terrible man management skills so won't replicate any of Warnock success. 

Anyone thinking Monk can be successful is neededing his new team to take over everything for him..... he proved he can't do it. He also makes catastrophic substitutions.... 

Your whole entire post was built around a fairytale

Owlstalk Shop

I would get the ‘Monk Out’ notion if we hadn’t cleared out the old guard and persevered with them, if he had kept Bullen and Weaver in the first team set up, and if he hadn’t put an emphasis on a professional environment within the club which was severely lacking 

He’s cleared out the old guard, brought in players who have passion and who want to play for the club and has brought in an experienced backroom staff.

He has a clear ethos of how he wants us to set up and has installed a positive and professional camp, which you were all crying out for.

Multiple players have come out in praise of him and for what he has implemented.

Now with that all in mind, how on earth will a change of manager do anything, at all? 

I don’t want to hear about the 2nd half of last season, there were clearly multiple fires that needed to be put out. That’s scrapped from history IMO 

There is just zero logic in axing him, and I thought most on here would have the capacity to understand that 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

I would get the ‘Monk Out’ notion if we hadn’t cleared out the old guard and persevered with them, if he had kept Bullen and Weaver in the first team set up, and if he hadn’t put an emphasis on a professional environment within the club which was severely lacking 

He’s cleared out the old guard, brought in players who have passion and who want to play for the club and has brought in an experienced backroom staff.

He has a clear ethos of how he wants us to set up and has installed a positive and professional camp, which you were all crying out for.

Multiple players have come out in praise of him and for what he has implemented.

Now with that all in mind, how on earth will a change of manager do anything, at all? 

I don’t want to hear about the 2nd half of last season, there were clearly multiple fires that needed to be put out. That’s scrapped from history IMO 

There is just zero logic in axing him, and I thought most on here would have the capacity to understand that 

Players in praising boss shock.

Yep I agree it's like Labour and Corbyn. We're stuck with him until he, most likely, crashes and burns. We're too far gone to back out just yet.  Fingers crossed. 

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Yep I agree it's like Labour and Corbyn. We're stuck with him until he, most likely, crashes and burns. We're too far gone to back out just yet.  Fingers crossed. 

Fan in suggesting a manager will eventually fail and get sacked shock

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, rickygoo said:

But nothing drew them to comment on him, as there asked about the match. They made a point to comment.

I don’t look at it as “sticking with someone” when they have tried to install the right things. You give it time to hopefully blossom into something good 

8 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

He's not got a tan and wore a flat cap like King Carlos did and is a bit of a character.

12 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

But nothing drew them to comment on him, as there asked about the match. They made a point to comment.

I don’t look at it as “sticking with someone” when they have tried to install the right things. You give it time to hopefully blossom into something good 

I do - I've even said if we're showing signs of progress but get relegated there are reasons to stick with him as the 12 points isn't down to him. I'm not in the Monk out mob at all. I'm in the (Whats So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding mob when it comes to players I've enjoyed watching. 

11 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We'll have played 14 games before December.

In the past five Championship seasons, you'd have needed an average of 13 points to be clear of the bottom three after 14 games.

Taking that as an indicator of what we'd need and adding our 12 point deduction, we'd need 25 points from our opening 14 matches to be clear of the bottom three by the start of December.

That's 1.79 points per game. Enough for 82 points across a season. Nigh on automatic promotion form.

That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Last season Luton in 21st place had 14 points from 17 games so to be in touching of that we would need 11, so in total we would need to have picked up 23 points from 17 games to be in that position.

That works out at 1.35 points per game and is equal to 62 points over 46 games. Anything less than 62 points would give us less than 50 points with our deduction at the end of the season, anything less than that and we are in big relegation trouble.

Game 17 of the league season is scheduled for 08/12/2020 so may 1st of December was one or two weeks early but if we are not in touching distance of safety by the second week in December then we will be in trouble and not on target.

Given that every season since and including Stuart Gray's last season in charge we have finished more than 12 points above the relegation zone - apart from last season under Monk - I would expect this to be achieved as we are said to have gotten rid of 'wasters' and have a young, hungry, mobile team with a fresh and forward thinking coaching set up.