GARRY MONK THREAD - All posts about the manager in here please

46 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

I’m a Wednesday fan. If monk moves Wednesday forward then fine if he doesn’t he needs to go. I can totally see why people dont rate him. He has been in charge of a few championship clubs but never achieved a promotion despite being allowed to build teams at a couple of them. Not having his own back room staff was difficult last season and there were some signs of improvement and I got excited at times . Conversely there were also some strange team selections and even stranger substitutions and negative play at the start of games - almost like we wanted to get to 0-0 at half time. Now he’s got his staff and is building his squad we will see and so far it has been a mixed bag but mainly positive. But unlike a lot of people on here I don’t stand blindly behind a manager. It will be obvious by Xmas if he has the minerals or not.

I'm not standing blindly behind him

I'm using my common to know he was dealt a terrible hand, and deserves a chance to see what he can do without his hands tied behind his back

So you think he can build a team and get it to gel in two months

It would be some achievement that

• Like 4

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

30 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

So he backs him with the squad and coaching staff - all at cost, then when results are poor, he sacks him straight away. And presumably his back room staff.

And I assume you’ve got a replacement who can guarantee improvement.

For a club under financial pressure, to me, it seems unlikely.

So you think if Monk loses every game he won't be sacked???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm not standing blindly behind him

I'm using my common to know he was dealt a terrible hand, and deserves a chance to see what he can do without his hands tied behind his back

So you think he can build a team and get it to gel in two months

It would be some achievement that

When he came in we were doing OK. He had a pretty much fully fit squad, and he did well results wise until Xmas. So I’m not sure he was dealt such a terrible hand.

As I’ve said before on here, what happened after Xmas I don’t know, but result and performances were unacceptably bad.

He’s been given a chance by DC and I hope he comes good again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

When he came in we were doing OK. He had a pretty much fully fit squad, and he did well results wise until Xmas. So I’m not sure he was dealt such a terrible hand.

As I’ve said before on here, what happened after Xmas I don’t know, but result and performances were unacceptably bad.

He’s been given a chance by DC and I hope he comes good again.

You are right, it wasn't a bad hand. He picked up a team that Bruce was building and would probably have taken to the play offs.

To be fair he came in without proper coaching team which probably told later on.

I hope he gets it right.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

They were both poor second half to seasons, something Monk is becoming good at.

You've not really offered anything in the way of explanation as to why 1.47 points per game with a relatively unfancied Leeds side or finishing 12 points above the relegation zone following a nine point deduction with a Birmingham side who'd only avoided the drop on the final day of the previous season constitute poor half seasons, so we may as well agree to disagree.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You've not really offered anything in the way of explanation as to why 1.47 points per game with a relatively unfancied Leeds side or finishing 12 points above the relegation zone following a nine point deduction with a Birmingham side who'd only avoided the drop on the final day of the previous season constitute poor half seasons, so we may as well agree to disagree.

With 8 games to go Leeds were 11 points clear of 7th place. Leeds finished 7th. That is a collapse of epic proportions, similar to our second half of last season . Guess who the common denominator is?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

With 8 games to go Leeds were 11 points clear of 7th place. Leeds finished 7th. That is a collapse of epic proportions, similar to our second half of last season . Guess who the common denominator is?

Yeah. Leeds were the only team ever to collapse at the end of a season. 
In 150 years of football, Monk is the only ever manager to be associated with that.

Unconscious bias is thriving. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

So he backs him with the squad and coaching staff - all at cost, then when results are poor, he sacks him straight away. And presumably his back room staff.

And I assume you’ve got a replacement who can guarantee improvement.

For a club under financial pressure, to me, it seems unlikely.

How long do you think he will get if we don't start getting wins soon?

How long do you think he should get?

I agree he has received the backing of the owner this summer in terms of the new coaching staff and new players and now that has been the route we have gone down it would be a bit daft to pull the plug on it without giving it a chance.

However, we are playing the same formation as we did in the last 9 games of the previous season and although we have had a fair start, some of the same problems exist. Players are being played out of the position and we are struggling to create clear cut chances.

The next 6 games or so are crucial in clawing back the gap to the rest. Paterson seems like a positive player hopefully he can get in amongst it up top and help us to gain our second home win of 2020 on Saturday. 

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Yeah. Leeds were the only team ever to collapse at the end of a season. 
In 150 years of football, Monk is the only ever manager to be associated with that.

Unconscious bias is thriving. 

But Garry Monk makes a habit of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Yes, they ran out of steam and were beaten to 6th place by Fulham. It happens. Especially when your squad isn't particularly strong.

When you consider the Leeds team Monk inherited from Steve Evans, the fact that he had them even thinking of a playoff place after a net spend of less than a million is impressive. 

Leeds finished that season on 75 points. In the majority of Championship seasons, that would have been enough to reach the playoffs, as the the average needed for sixth spot since the Championship began is 73 points. They missed out in a year where the bar was raised higher than normal.

To focus solely on the final eight games is to ignore the rest of the season which put them in such a strong position to begin with. Does the manager deserve no credit for that?

1.63 points per game across the season; 1.47 points per game in the second half of the season...if he can replicate the same 'disastrous' form here, I'll be delighted!

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes, they ran out of steam and were beaten to 6th place by Fulham. It happens. Especially when your squad isn't particularly strong.

When you consider the Leeds team Monk inherited from Steve Evans, the fact that he had them even thinking of a playoff place after a net spend of less than a million is impressive. 

Leeds finished that season on 75 points. In the majority of Championship seasons, that would have been enough to reach the playoffs, as the the average needed for sixth spot since the Championship began is 73 points. They missed out in a year where the bar was raised higher than normal.

To focus solely on the final eight games is to ignore the rest of the season which put them in such a strong position to begin with. Does the manager deserve no credit for that?

1.63 points per game across the season; 1.47 points per game in the second half of the season...if he can replicate the same 'disastrous' form here, I'll be delighted!

So you agree it was a disastrous end to the season then. We are focusing on this because of your initial question. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ashley8 said:

Unfortunately he will fail and I don't mean as almost every manager does btw. Some of you right now can't see that some can but don't want to see it... It's how much damage is done by that time. There you go the truth as I see it. It's not that I want to hamper his success just I've seen this so many times before.... hate it hate me whatever we all want success it's just so far NOTHING has increased my faith in him. I wish it had and before you talk about the first few results remember it's a long season and in a few months they won't mean much unfortunately.  Saying all the results made me think okay... prove me wrong.... but the signings SO FAR..... are not improving the squad past our squad last year that's over all. 

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Oh sorry,did you say something?..

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

So you agree it was a disastrous end to the season then. We are focusing on this because of your initial question. 

No, I don't.

Surely the rest of what I've posted makes that clear?

:duntmatter:

You're ignoring all wider context to simply restate your blinkered interpretation.

My initial question was about the second half of seasons under Monk. If the second half of his season at Leeds were so bad, they wouldn't have ended up with 75 points.

There's little point us continuing - we clearly don't see it the same way. You'll keep telling me it was a disaster; I'll keep telling you it wasn't, ad nauseum.

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How long do you think he will get if we don't start getting wins soon?

How long do you think he should get?

I agree he has received the backing of the owner this summer in terms of the new coaching staff and new players and now that has been the route we have gone down it would be a bit daft to pull the plug on it without giving it a chance.

However, we are playing the same formation as we did in the last 9 games of the previous season and although we have had a fair start, some of the same problems exist. Players are being played out of the position and we are struggling to create clear cut chances.

The next 6 games or so are crucial in clawing back the gap to the rest. Paterson seems like a positive player hopefully he can get in amongst it up top and help us to gain our second home win of 2020 on Saturday. 

I’d say if we are not out of the bottom 3 by 1/12 then DC should be considering who he could bring in. 
This squad is capable of clawing back 12 points from some the dross in this league.
December sees us with an opportunity to take a lot of points. A lot on here say it’s a tough month, spin it round and look at it positively.

Regarding tactics, I’m of the view there’s not really a plan B. 
Thats mainly because there is no target man (like Fletcher), who can hold up the ball and allow the team to get up the pitch in numbers.

I would hope that if DC is backing Monk 100%, as he has by bringing in his back room team, he’ll bring in someone like Zohore. I’ve been a big critic of DC but got a feeling he’ll deliver on this.

Abd as for getting rid of Monk, I’m for anything that improves the club. Not sacking him for the sake of it, because we’re getting a pedigree replacement / rocking horse turd.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I’d say if we are not out of the bottom 3 by 1/12 then DC should be considering who he could bring in. 
This squad is capable of clawing back 12 points from some the dross in this league.
December sees us with an opportunity to take a lot of points. A lot on here say it’s a tough month, spin it round and look at it positively.

Regarding tactics, I’m of the view there’s not really a plan B. 
Thats mainly because there is no target man (like Fletcher), who can hold up the ball and allow the team to get up the pitch in numbers.

I would hope that if DC is backing Monk 100%, as he has by bringing in his back room team, he’ll bring in someone like Zohore. I’ve been a big critic of DC but got a feeling he’ll deliver on this.

Abd as for getting rid of Monk, I’m for anything that improves the club. Not sacking him for the sake of it, because we’re getting a pedigree replacement / rocking horse turd.

Problem is however good or bad results are in the coming months, Chansiri's record suggests that Monk will still be here all season...