Still no spectators

Hard to see a return to the matches anytime soon....For many the match day has been a part of their lives for decades.Looking forward to it,meeting up with mates in the pub beforehand,watching the game and maybe the same again afterwards...Dont know how the Championship(& lower league) clubs long term,are going to cope with this...Fans ? well we have had to find our football where we can...Hows everyone coping? is your 'telly' football fix doing it? 

But Wetherspoons alone has had cover 32m customers since the lockdown, that's 10m people than attend games in a typical PL season and double what attend Championship games in a typical season.

1000 people outdoors in a 39000 stadium?  Big no no.

• Like 1

Just now, Manwë said:

But Wetherspoons alone has had cover 32m customers since the lockdown, that's 10m people than attend games in a typical PL season and double what attend Championship games in a typical season.

1000 people outdoors in a 39000 stadium?  Big no no.

Clubs wouldn't make much money if at all on 1,000 people.
Think I read about test cases of 1,000 people at cricket and clubs said they had to employ twice as many stewards to supervise the new rules and ended up losing money.

While I have been very cautious and as one in the shielded group, with what we know about the virus now, do think football is a safer environment than Tesco, for example.

Being outside, plenty of opportunity to enforce social distancing, closure of food concessions, makes it a reasonably safe environment. Contrast that with supermarkets; inside, no social distancing, no limits on numbers and hundreds of people touching food etc. 

• Like 2

I live in Kent so only get to a couple of home games and maybe 5 aways a season.

A mate (big 6 supporter) and I both bought season tickets for our local lower league team, been 3 times this season and going again tonight (unless the rules change), the football's not great, but the occasion is.

Biggest problem is they play in red - doesn't seem right wanting a team in red to do well...

Give it a go - go local lower league.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Clubs wouldn't make much money if at all on 1,000 people.
Think I read about test cases of 1,000 people at cricket and clubs said they had to employ twice as many stewards to supervise the new rules and ended up losing money.

Agree with this.

In our case, if we were to let 1,000 fans in for the next game then those 1,000 would all be season ticket holders so no extra income in terms of ticket sales. Would we be allowed to open catering and even if we were, what percentage of those 1,000 would utilise it? Can't see that being profitable. Then, as you say we would have the associated costs of opening up the stands, paying stewards etc. 

On this basis it would surely be loss-making to open up to such restrictive numbers. 

I went to watch my local team, Pontefract Collieries, play on Saturday with my daughters, and watched former owl Nathan Modeste score a let equalisers for them.

Really enjoyed it but the social distancing was lax. Despite there being only 250 people in the ground and there being plenty of space, at least 2/3 were standing in big groups in specific places in the ground. Social distancing was easy to achieve (and we indeed did stick to it) but most people just didn't bother.

And there in lies the problem. Clubs need fans to get back in but in my, admitedly limited, experience the fans didn't make any attempt to make it safe. And its not just the fans. There were club officials there who were constantly moving people from the seated areas if they sat in the wrong row (because apparently hazard tape and big signs was too hard for said fans to follow). But when the game kicked off the same officials then went and stood in the very same crowded areas.

If anything, it is the clubs with all seater stadiums, who generally don't need to income as desperately, who have the best chance of successfully bringing back fans safely.

30 minutes ago, striker said:

While I have been very cautious and as one in the shielded group, with what we know about the virus now, do think football is a safer environment than Tesco, for example.

Being outside, plenty of opportunity to enforce social distancing, closure of food concessions, makes it a reasonably safe environment. Contrast that with supermarkets; inside, no social distancing, no limits on numbers and hundreds of people touching food etc. 

I think it's less about people sitting outside in a stadium and more to do with how people get there and what happens when 30000 descend into pubs pre and post game. How do you get everyone to and from Hillsborough on the trams safely for example. Also getting thousands of people through turnstiles whilst socially distanced is very difficult.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Agree with this.

In our case, if we were to let 1,000 fans in for the next game then those 1,000 would all be season ticket holders so no extra income in terms of ticket sales. Would we be allowed to open catering and even if we were, what percentage of those 1,000 would utilise it? Can't see that being profitable. Then, as you say we would have the associated costs of opening up the stands, paying stewards etc. 

On this basis it would surely be loss-making to open up to such restrictive numbers. 

On that basis it would be loss making, but those season ticket holders therefore are due a full refund for not being able to watch a game at all.

Secondly, the 1000 is/was a trial number, but having spoken with a Gloucester RFC fan, their 1000 was all housed in one stand with just a few overspilling into an adjacent stand.  For their 16000 capacity Kingsholm, they could realistically have had approx 4 times the amount and still maintained social distancing of 2m.  GRFC had issues that Wednesday (or any professional club) don't have, which is GRFC have two stands that are terraced and so harder to adhere to fixed positions.

My gripe was, that of today

1 - Clubs won't be allowed to continue their trials of 1000 in  huge outdoor spaces.

2 - Pubs are to remain open, albeit, closing at 10pm instead of 11/midnight and are in typically indoor spaces.

There doesn't seem to be a coherence in their response.  

Edited by Manwë
  • Like 1