Still no spectators

2 hours ago, Manwë said:

But Wetherspoons alone has had cover 32m customers since the lockdown, that's 10m people than attend games in a typical PL season and double what attend Championship games in a typical season.

1000 people outdoors in a 39000 stadium?  Big no no.

Stop talking sense. 

You do realise you are talking about Boris Johnson. 

Full Pubs fine - 1/4 full stadia not

Explain that one?!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Manwë said:

On that basis it would be loss making, but those season ticket holders therefore are due a full refund for not being able to watch a game at all.

Secondly, the 1000 is/was a trial number, but having spoken with a Gloucester RFC fan, their 1000 was all housed in one stand with just a few overspilling into an adjacent stand.  For their 16000 capacity Kingsholm, they could realistically have had approx 4 times the amount and still maintained social distancing of 2m.  GRFC had issues that Wednesday (or any professional club) don't have, which is GRFC have two stands that are terraced and so harder to adhere to fixed positions.

My gripe was, that of today

1 - Clubs won't be allowed to continue their trials of 1000 in  huge outdoor spaces.

2 - Pubs are to remain open, albeit, closing at 10pm instead of 11/midnight and are in typically indoor spaces.

There doesn't seem to be a coherence in their response.  

Difficult to argue against that. I get the comparison with pubs and am finding it difficult to understand the significant difference that a 10pm closing time will have.

I suppose pubs get a regular income stream from their socially distanced customers that football clubs at our level will not.The overhead costs to opening a stadium up to a few thousand people may well outweigh what revenue this will bring in but it could be argued that clubs should at least have the option of whether to do this - as you say it is an outdoor space and if they can socially distance as much/more than pubs do then surely the risk would be less.

17 minutes ago, Manwë said:

On that basis it would be loss making, but those season ticket holders therefore are due a full refund for not being able to watch a game at all.

Secondly, the 1000 is/was a trial number, but having spoken with a Gloucester RFC fan, their 1000 was all housed in one stand with just a few overspilling into an adjacent stand.  For their 16000 capacity Kingsholm, they could realistically have had approx 4 times the amount and still maintained social distancing of 2m.  GRFC had issues that Wednesday (or any professional club) don't have, which is GRFC have two stands that are terraced and so harder to adhere to fixed positions.

My gripe was, that of today

1 - Clubs won't be allowed to continue their trials of 1000 in  huge outdoor spaces.

2 - Pubs are to remain open, albeit, closing at 10pm instead of 11/midnight and are in typically indoor spaces.

There doesn't seem to be a coherence in their response.  

Totally agree,and in a wider sense outside football,the number of people just  anecdotally i have been told are 'at risk of redundancy' now is frightening,are you going to be shouting 'YIPEE' i haven't got Covid.....,but i have no job,house being repossessed,(probable) relationship issues/breakups..mental health issues, endless  where does it end FFS?...Obviously football is included,(lack of money,smaller squads.no matchday income..)

• Like 1

Probably wishful thinking but I hope the enforced having no fans in stadiums really hammers home to the people who run the game, how important the fans are.

Football is naff without fans and is currently broken with a completely uneven playing field.

If they EFL had any brains, they'd use this time to be having a look at how they operate and making sustainable changes for the better.

Still baffles me that clubs get rewarded for relegation and the rest of us in this league have limits on what we can spend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

I think it's less about people sitting outside in a stadium and more to do with how people get there and what happens when 30000 descend into pubs pre and post game. How do you get everyone to and from Hillsborough on the trams safely for example. Also getting thousands of people through turnstiles whilst socially distanced is very difficult.

I agree, I wasn't contemplating such numbers though. But, I think maybe 25% capacity over all 4 stands for home supporters is realistic, subject to staggering entry and exit time.

You make a good point about trams, public transport etc though, hadn't considered that. 

The parallel I was making between football and supermarkets though I think is valid. I'd consider a football ground to be a safer environment. 

That said, if someone covered the clubs costs, they would forgive supporter attendance in the short term and TV access an adequate, if not perfect, short term solution to follow our clubs. 

1 hour ago, striker said:

While I have been very cautious and as one in the shielded group, with what we know about the virus now, do think football is a safer environment than Tesco, for example.

Being outside, plenty of opportunity to enforce social distancing, closure of food concessions, makes it a reasonably safe environment. Contrast that with supermarkets; inside, no social distancing, no limits on numbers and hundreds of people touching food etc. 

Football is probably an equal risk of going to Tesco.
The difference is people need to go food shopping while football is not a necessity. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Football is probably an equal risk of going to Tesco.
The difference is people need to go food shopping while football is not a necessity. 

Fair Point, although delivery widely available. Shouldn't also excuse lack of social distancing at supermarkets and no restriction on numbers though, just because of necessity. 

Anyway, enough of that, this is a football forum, off over to Tescotalk to have a moan on there lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

While I have been very cautious and as one in the shielded group, with what we know about the virus now, do think football is a safer environment than Tesco, for example.

Being outside, plenty of opportunity to enforce social distancing, closure of food concessions, makes it a reasonably safe environment. Contrast that with supermarkets; inside, no social distancing, no limits on numbers and hundreds of people touching food etc. 

yeah, but you are sat right next to each other and literally breathing right over the person in front of you for at least 90 mins

3 hours ago, striker said:

I think if we turn up in tweed carrying a shot gun and take a couple of pot shots at the pigeons on the north stand roof we can have 20,000 in hillsborough. The laws the same for everyone isn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Difficult to argue against that. I get the comparison with pubs and am finding it difficult to understand the significant difference that a 10pm closing time will have.

I did read that the Government know that making closing time 10pm and not 11pm it will only have a marginal difference last best.
It is more about a warning that the Government could close pubs all together if people don't start obeying the guidelines more.

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I did read that the Government know that making closing time 10pm and not 11pm it will only have a marginal difference last best.
It is more about a warning that the Government could close pubs all together if people don't start obeying the guidelines more.

Late on at night young uns get a bit laary after a few beers and social distancing goes out of window.

On another note tonight's game between Orient and Tottenham has just been called of because a number of Orient players have tested positive for virus.

Suppose in an ideal world, football would resume as normal and they'd be offers galore to entice back or grow the paying fan base.

As a casual fan, previous season ticket holder...it would probably take afew offers to get me hooked again. Whether it be a £10 to £20 ticket voucher through the post or a ticket package to suit me....

Kinda got comfortable without going. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

I think if we turn up in tweed carrying a shot gun and take a couple of pot shots at the pigeons on the north stand roof we can have 20,000 in hillsborough. The laws the same for everyone isn’t it?

And even if we do go into full national lockdown just say you were testing your eyesight on our new signings and it's no worries.

It’s times like this the break even for all clubs from league one to conference north/south needs addressing by the PL. The money is there and without those clubs unearthing gems for the big boys then they suffer too. Pandemic should all stick together tbh. Imagine (idealistically and unrealistic I admit) each prem side puts in 1m each that would go a long way to sustain some of the lower sides