The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

7 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Plenty of people didn't - that is true.  I would be fairly confident that if I spent enough time trawling through this forum and other sources I could find plenty who did.  I'm just saying if we spent all our time on this sort of exercise, the forum would get very dull, very quickly.  

People question each other's statements all the time on here - it's the nature of Owlstalk!

Sorry if you find it dull. I suppose if you'd said, 'Plenty of people didn't - that is true' at the start, it would have saved us both the trouble, as it would have answered my question.

:duntmatter:

I think a lot of us thought that the brains in the premier League would suss out the revolutionary overlapping centre back ploy after about 10 games last season, at which point they would implode ( we also said that about the championship TBF🤦) but they didn't.

So people sort of predicted it, or hoped for it, but it didn't come to fruition until after lockdown..... which is the mystery

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Plenty of people thought that they would get off to the worst start in English football history this season and after 24 games would have 3 wins to their name? You'll have to point them out as they will be in the minority compared to those who thought they would crash and burn last season. 

I’m not saying that either. I’m saying there would have been plenty of people predicting a relegation scrap. 

2 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I’m not saying that either. I’m saying there would have been plenty of people predicting a relegation scrap. 

2 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Anyone with an ounce of common sense and knowledge of football knew what was going to happen this season.  

They got promoted through hard work, team spirit, some interesting tactics and a healthy dose of luck (which all successful teams have).  This carried them to a great season in the PL as they were an unknown quantity.

Second season in the PL they sign a load of players for big money which upsets the team spirit.  After several seasons of running themselves into the ground they come up against teams that now know their tactics and can match, even beat them, for work rate.

How can anyone be surprised that they are struggling?

They aren't currently in a relegation scrap though are they?

A scrap would suggest that they have some fight and a decent chance of getting out of it. They aren't 'struggling' they are doing abysmally, averaging less than 0.5 points per game. Did you see that coming? 

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Ramsdale was sold by Sheffield United to Bournemouth in January 2017 for a fee of around £1M.

In January 2018 Ramsdale went on loan to Chesterfield. In 19 appearances in League Two Ramsdale conceded 33 goals, keeping 2 clean sheets.

Having clearly excelled in League Two, then following January he went on loan to Wimbledon in League One. In 22 games he conceded 31 goals. He did however manage a few more clean sheets this time.

In 2019-20 he became number 1 at Bournemouth who had established themselves as A PL club. IN 37 appearances he conceded 62 goals as Bournemouth were relegated. In his final 20 appearances of the season he kept 1 clean sheet.

This fine record somehow resulted in Sheffield United, the team that sold him for £1M, three seasons ago, now thinking he was worth paying £18.5M for.

In 24 league appearances for Sheffield United he has kept 1 clean sheet, against a team that set up to defend and had a man sent off in the first half. 

He has had about as much success at 'weathering the storm' as any empty crisp packet. 

That is astonishing isn't it! We've made many bad buys recently I know, but paying £18.5m for that record is bizarre.  We would probably have given given them Westwood and Rhodes who couldn't have done worse than Brewster and Ramsdale and they'd have saved 43 million!

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

The mrs's family are all West Ham fans so I often keep an eye on what they're doing. There are some classic quotes from their matchday thread last night.

Before kick-off:

1434654873_Screenshot2021-02-16at13_42_28.png.9f321d3b3fa1e4ae8576dbe7e50bea72.png

862243912_Screenshot2021-02-16at13_42_51.png.791e1068bef38f17b329a35e0d0b2b7f.png

1314549641_Screenshot2021-02-16at13_45_04.png.e5d8df125179dba41b14f2ad84fea791.png

During the game:

2028021963_Screenshot2021-02-16at14_22_13.png.bfc04773b6486ccd709f8fc207602414.png

After full-time:

1625499769_Screenshot2021-02-16at14_22_55.png.e1a9ea0e3814c5105e81cbf6b59e7bd9.png

2117162830_Screenshot2021-02-16at14_26_19.png.2ead8f7787478846070641841caf5288.png

439786710_Screenshot2021-02-16at14_27_23.png.e5c3b40bcc63e708f7b0d599296787eb.png

West Ham are now my favourite PL club lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SiJ said:

It's quite amusing really.

The narrative has switched from plucky underdog, to a hard luck story.

Poor old Cwissy with his ragtag bunch of merry men fighting the Premier League juggernaut. 

Completely ignoring the fact they've spent significant amounts of money on a number of flops.

Going back to that Biggs piece, the final paragraph makes reference to how Cwissy shouldn't be relegated to head coach. Suggestion of a change of structure at the club. Wilder suggested he made recommendations and these were overruled. 

Wonder if Biggsy has looked to help out his mate with a nice spin piece, but has in fact ended up highlighting how crap the recruitment under Wilder has been. Classic Biggs.

Yes, I think you might be right there.

Biggsy and Tufty.

1500x500.png

13 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Could do with the blunts getting a couple of wins soon - don’t want to have all hope extinguished too early

Speak for yourself, they've already ruined it for me by getting into double figures! lol

• Like 3

13 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Seriously though, did anyone honestly this this coming at the start of the season?

I know they'd struggled a bit since the restart last summer, but they'd easily stayed up and looked capable of establishing themselves as a top flight team for the foreseeable future.

I didn't expect them to be troubling the European places again as they did at times last season, but I didn't see a collapse on this scale coming down the tracks.

What makes it even better is that neither did most United fans. 

No, it's been a very pleasant surprise!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

How can anyone be surprised that they are struggling?

Not surprised they are struggling at all.

The real surprise (and delight) is that they are not so much struggling as totally capitulating in virtually every game!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, scram said:

I'd be more than happy if they don't score another goal or get another point tbh

you might be right on the points tally, but surely his Royal humbleness’s injury ravaged (effectively 2 players out more than a month) pashunate humble squad can muster up a couple of 0-0 draws (but without praise for doing so as they’re so humble)