The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

Wilder simply shifts all the blame onto the players these days.

That second goal was a free header, but how come there's nobody standing at either goal post?

Strikes me he's only now interested in limiting the damage to his dwindling reputation.

In one of his interviews, he managed to get it in that Moyes had changed the system as the Blades were doing so well; then all his good work was undone by Norwood's suicidal pass...

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Wilder simply shifts all the blame onto the players these days.

That second goal was a free header, but how come there's nobody standing at either goal post?

Strikes me he's only now interested in limiting the damage to his dwindling reputation.

In one of his interviews, he managed to get it in that Moyes had changed the system as the Blades were doing so well; then all his good work was undone by Norwood's suicidal pass...

It’s the:

players

lack of fans

other teams spending more

mistakes

lack of investment in january

injuries

it’s not the:

manager who picks the same failing team

manager who wasted all the cash

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

I’ll tell you what’s embarrassing 

saying stuff like 

“We’ve suffered more than most not having the fans in”

Thats an embarrassing failure to take responsibility by a manager only concerned with his own reputation and not actually saving the team / protecting the players.

You just know that, in any official blunt history in years to come, this season will have an asterisk next to it explaining that it was not a fair season due to having no fans in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Seriously though, did anyone honestly this this coming at the start of the season?

I know they'd struggled a bit since the restart last summer, but they'd easily stayed up and looked capable of establishing themselves as a top flight team for the foreseeable future.

I didn't expect them to be troubling the European places again as they did at times last season, but I didn't see a collapse on this scale coming down the tracks.

What makes it even better is that neither did most United fans. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

Looks like will leave in the summer “ with the clubs blessing”. Relegation clause in his contract?  Bet it’s an undisclosed fee. 

It's only 'undisclosed' when they make a loss on the sale, anything close to breaking even and they will just add on all the additional payments (eg.for Rochdale winning the PL) and spin that

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Seriously though, did anyone honestly this this coming at the start of the season?

I know they'd struggled a bit since the restart last summer, but they'd easily stayed up and looked capable of establishing themselves as a top flight team for the foreseeable future.

I didn't expect them to be troubling the European places again as they did at times last season, but I didn't see a collapse on this scale coming down the tracks.

Almost like us after Xmas 19... makes you wonder if something went off during the first lockdown as they just don't look bothered for the fight

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Absolutely not.

It was pretty clear that they were going to struggle - once the opposites got to grip with them their form soon turned to mush - but I never expected that they'd be so catastrophically bad...and blow over 100m in doing it.

You couldn't make that up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Almost like us after Xmas 19... makes you wonder if something went off during the first lockdown as they just don't look bothered for the fight

IMO it's the usual cautionary Premier League tail.

Humble players loyal to the club and manager replaced by average Joe's earning double their pay.

The manager then turns back to The Humbles and asks them to dig him out of the hole, but he's made his intentions clear.

It's been happening forever - Newcastle in 1996 was a perfect, high profile example. The signing of Asprilla ostracised half of the players responsible for getting them there...I've mentioned on here before but a friend of mine who played in that side was earning less than Asprilla's translator...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Absolutely not.

It was pretty clear that they were going to struggle - once the opposites got to grip with them their form soon turned to mush - but I never expected that they'd be so catastrophically bad...and blow over 100m in doing it.

You couldn't make that up.

In hindsight, I wonder if the root of the issue is the money they've spent?

The players who did so well for them as they climbed up the leagues suddenly found themselves playing alongside new signings whose wages will have dwarfed their own, and that tight-knit group started to fray at the edges?

Their success relied so much on the collective rather than individuals, that as soon as they started chipping away at the group in order to add supposedly more talented individuals, they started to destabilise the very foundations of what got them there in the first place?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

IMO it's the usual cautionary Premier League tail.

Humble players loyal to the club and manager replaced by average Joe's earning double their pay.

The manager then turns back to The Humbles and asks them to dig him out of the hole, but he's made his intentions clear.

It's been happening forever - Newcastle in 1996 was a perfect, high profile example. The signing of Asprilla ostracised half of the players responsible for getting them there...I've mentioned on here before but a friend of mine who played in that side was earning less than Asprilla's translator...

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The players who did so well for them as they climbed up the leagues suddenly found themselves playing alongside new signings whose wages will have dwarfed their own, and that tight-knit group started to fray at the edges?

Their success relied so much on the collective rather than individuals, that as soon as they started chipping away at the group in order to add supposedly more talented individuals, they started to destabilise the very foundations of what got them there in the first place?

Yes, I think you've both pretty much nailed it there.

Let's face it, the team which gained promotion to the PL wasn't made up of great individuals at that level, but it had cohesion and team spirit.

Good in one way, in that Wilder got them up on a relative shoestring, but, as you both say, once that team spirit, momentum and cohesion is lost, the team's in a very exposed position.

There isn't the individual quality there to sustain the club in the division.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

100%

The only way they would have been able to salvage the season would have been to completely overhaul the squad and bomb out the players who got them there. 

Additionally they could have taken a more evolutionary approach - in reality that’s what they tried to do, but paid riches to mediocre players who don’t actually fit their style

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

So if a couple of their stellar signings on big money are still there next season the chances of the humble one repeating previous successes looks pretty slim then? Let us face it they are going to struggle to flog a fair few if them

2nd season syndrome. 

Huddersfield did the exact same. Punched well above their weight and had a great first year by their accounts. But they just couldn't manage a successful squad refresh.
Reading did the same.

Place your bets on Leeds having the same challenge next year.

Edited by BowOwl

4 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

So if a couple of their stellar signings on big money are still there next season the chances of the humble one repeating previous successes looks pretty slim then? Let us face it they are going to struggle to flog a fair few if them

The challenge they’ll have is that they have performed so badly, it won’t be easy to shift them.

Theyll probably be able to get 30m+ for Berge (and they’re already trying to sell him btw) but who in the PL is going to want Ramsdale, Brewster, McBurnie and Mousset?

Whilst they would be potentially excellent players in the Championship you never know how much damage this season has done...and the impact of the relegation related pay cuts

What price they line up with Didzy and Sharpy upfront first game?

• Like 1