The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The challenge they’ll have is that they have performed so badly, it won’t be easy to shift them.

Theyll probably be able to get 30m+ for Berge (and they’re already trying to sell him btw) but who in the PL is going to want Ramsdale, Brewster, McBurnie and Mousset?

Whilst they would be potentially excellent players in the Championship you never know how much damage this season has done...and the impact of the relegation related pay cuts

What price they line up with Didzy and Sharpy upfront first game?

Absolutely my point and they are still paying for them next season and beyond....didzy and sharpey...'i selected them for their championship experience, they have X goals at this level and Billy understands the club' said (the manager) after their 0-0 draw at Blackburn in the season opener

19 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

So if a couple of their stellar signings on big money are still there next season the chances of the humble one repeating previous successes looks pretty slim then? Let us face it they are going to struggle to flog a fair few if them

Even if they were able to shift all of their big-money post-promotion signings (which I doubt they'd manage), the damage may have been done insofar as the players who got them promoted in the first place are no longer the same tight-knit unit they were prior to all this, and of course their motivation to win promotion may have been dulled by the knowledge of what awaits them again should they get there.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Do they bomb out the lot of them and look to rebuild from scratch? Rely on individuals who should be good enough in the Championship but at the expense of team cohesion, perhaps? 

What a pickle, eh?

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Even if they were able to shift all of their big-money post-promotion signings (which I doubt they'd manage), the damage may have been done insofar as the players who got them promoted in the first place are no longer the same tight-knit unit they were prior to all this, and of course their motivation to win promotion may have been dulled by the knowledge of what awaits them again should they get there.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Do they bomb out the lot of them and look to rebuild from scratch? Rely on individuals who should be good enough in the Championship but at the expense of team cohesion, perhaps? 

What a pickle, eh?

Big pickle for them... especially as they will presumably be paid less next season due to relegation clauses?

Also worth pointing out that the majority of their players that have come up with them from the pub league are all now late 20s or older. 

If any PL team goes in for them then they’ll 100% have their heads turned by one last shot at the big time (and the big money) — to be fair, that goes for all of their players really

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Seriously though, did anyone honestly this this coming at the start of the season?

I know they'd struggled a bit since the restart last summer, but they'd easily stayed up and looked capable of establishing themselves as a top flight team for the foreseeable future.

I didn't expect them to be troubling the European places again as they did at times last season, but I didn't see a collapse on this scale coming down the tracks.

What makes it even better is that neither did most United fans. 

Saw it last season and got ridiculed for it

Sure they punched well above their weight last season but it was still a really poor squad

It happens

2 minutes ago, scram said:

Saw it last season and got ridiculed for it

Sure they punched well above their weight last season but it was still a really poor squad

It happens

You predicted them being bottom of the league when they were doing well last season?

Fair play if that's the case.

Who ridiculed you for it, though?

I didn't predict them doing this badly but I said they would struggle and suffer second season syndrome

Most people who bought into the wilder myth laughed at me

You know,  the ones saying things like "Bayern Munich need a manager let's hope they appoint wilder..."

12 minutes ago, scram said:

I didn't predict them doing this badly but I said they would struggle and suffer second season syndrome

Most people who bought into the wilder myth laughed at me

You know,  the ones saying things like "Bayern Munich need a manager let's hope they appoint wilder..."

Yeah, I think a lot of football fans foresaw a season of relative struggle compared to the highs of last season, but the way they've folded like a house of cards has been beyond even our most optimistic predictions, hasn't it?

I thought they might have been on the peripheries of the relegation mix, but not in serious danger of going down, similar to Brighton this season. But then the signings they've made have been so horrendous in both a footballing and financial sense, that they've contrived to throw away most of what made them effective in the first place.

It will be interesting to watch Wilder try to turn things back around, assuming he's still there next season.

PS - Nobody seriously suggested Wilder for the Bayern Munich job, did they!?

20 minutes ago, scram said:

I did predict they would get relegated in the first season though

I think most United fans thought the same, in all honesty.

Their squad was nowhere near as strong as the results suggested, and a season of valiant but ultimately unsuccessful struggle against the drop would probably have been accepted by the majority.

Then they go and raise their expectations, dream of European football, spend £120m on new players...and wind up bottom of the league and practically relegated before winter's through.

In hindsight, although last season was difficult to sit through as a Wednesday fan, it's teed up their fall from grace so perfectly that I wouldn't change a thing about it.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

That’s my second choice, I’d rather them suffer an inevitable false dawn 

Think they've just had their false dawn mate. The optimism they created through that little run beating third division teams has well and truly evaporated after last night and they are suffering. They're no longer as sure as they were that they'll be promoted by Chrismas next season. Just praying they lose to Chelsea in the cup now. 

Anyone with an ounce of common sense and knowledge of football knew what was going to happen this season.  

They got promoted through hard work, team spirit, some interesting tactics and a healthy dose of luck (which all successful teams have).  This carried them to a great season in the PL as they were an unknown quantity.

Second season in the PL they sign a load of players for big money which upsets the team spirit.  After several seasons of running themselves into the ground they come up against teams that now know their tactics and can match, even beat them, for work rate.

How can anyone be surprised that they are struggling?

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think most United fans thought the same, in all honesty.

Their squad was nowhere near as strong as the results suggested, and a season of valiant but ultimately unsuccessful struggle against the drop would probably have been accepted by the majority.

Then they go and raise their expectations, dream of European football, spend £120m on new players...and wind up bottom of the league and practically relegated before winter's through.

In hindsight, although last season was difficult to sit through as a Wednesday fan, it's teed up their fall from grace so perfectly that I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Said this before that this is their problem, they expected to be relegated so bought better quality championship players to bounce back, bit like West brom did.

When it was obvious that they would stay up they had to buy better players, players better than they had been scouting, they then seem to have panicked and spent a fortune on any players that they could get within their wages structure.... look how that has played out

They would have been no worse if they hadn't spent the £130m + and ironically with a better chance of getting promoted next season....but don't challenge Wilders spending

• Like 1