Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

TheEnchanter

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

How on earth does Kepa keep getting picked? Mistake after mistake for as long as I can remember. Same with De Gea. How do they get away with it?

Remember when Karius dropped a clanger in the CL final. He was taken straight out of the firing line and sent out on loan 

probably doesn’t help that Kepa cost so much. They desperately need to replace him though. 

3 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Even with before the red card, Chelsea looked fearful of Liverpool and slow. Disappointing to see that they can't even give Liverpool a game despite all the money they've spent. 

Correct, might as well have a go like Leeds did last weekend than that pathetic first half from Chelsea, Liverpool weren't playing great but Chelsea seemed scared to get forward in numbers, they had one good break and instead of shooting (I think it was Kante) he turned round and within seconds ball was back in Chelsea's own half.

I've watched some good entertaining games this weekend, Everton v WBA, Man U v Palace, Arsenal v West Ham, Saints v Spurs and Leicester v Burnley but Chelsea v Liverpool was worst one I've watched, even Coventry v QPR on Friday night was far better to watch.

2 hours ago, scram said:

Chelsea enquired about Ben Foster earlier in pre-season

Would have been a good deal for a year - for both player and club

Why didn't it go any further?

Thin Foster struggled to live up to the pressure and expectation at times at Old Trafford and admitted as much but he has been consistently good for a few seasons now. 

He has got a few relegations on his CV but often still got plaudits from fans and team mates in those poor seasons for his clubs. Possibly deserves anther chance at a club with more potential than those he has been at since Man Utd but does he have the desire and intense focus for it?  

I'm not completely sold on Lampard tbh. 

His teams play some decent football, but I think they have some real defensive issues and I don't think that's just down to personnel...though having a Kepa as your goalkeeper isn't going to help things. 

Last season they were often awful in the transition and there were quite a few games I watched where I got the impression that they didn't really want to defend; almost hoping that they would be able to blow away the opposition with some pretty, attacking football. 

They've spent an awful lot of money, but appear to have signed a number of players who will be operating in similar areas of the pitch - Wener, Havertz, Ziyech etc. You've then got Pulisic returning back from injury, who looks like a fantastic player. 

Early days, but that was all very comfortable for Liverpool and I suspect they would have won anyway, even if Chelsea didn't get a man sent off. 

Keepers are bigger superstars these days or at least going for higher prices; but they seem to be getting worse.  The number of clangers these supposed top players make is unreal.

Do they compare to the likes of P Schmeichel, De Goey, Van Der Saar, Seaman, Cech, etc. Are keepers getting worse? 

4 hours ago, Rogers said:

Keepers are bigger superstars these days or at least going for higher prices; but they seem to be getting worse.  The number of clangers these supposed top players make is unreal.

Do they compare to the likes of P Schmeichel, De Goey, Van Der Saar, Seaman, Cech, etc. Are keepers getting worse? 

I suppose that’s in part due to them being asked to play it out from the back far more nowadays. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SiJ said:

I'm not completely sold on Lampard tbh. 

His teams play some decent football, but I think they have some real defensive issues and I don't think that's just down to personnel...though having a Kepa as your goalkeeper isn't going to help things. 

Last season they were often awful in the transition and there were quite a few games I watched where I got the impression that they didn't really want to defend; almost hoping that they would be able to blow away the opposition with some pretty, attacking football. 

They've spent an awful lot of money, but appear to have signed a number of players who will be operating in similar areas of the pitch - Wener, Havertz, Ziyech etc. You've then got Pulisic returning back from injury, who looks like a fantastic player. 

Early days, but that was all very comfortable for Liverpool and I suspect they would have won anyway, even if Chelsea didn't get a man sent off. 

You do wonder how much time Lampard will be given at Chelsea now they can splash the cash again — club legend or not, they don’t have much patience with managers unless they’re winning everything in sight 

Edited by beswetherick

On 19/09/2020 at 13:56, TheEnchanter said:

West Brom are crap. 

we still haven’t finished our summer business and we’re all aware we’re in for a struggle.

Games against Everton and Leicester will not define our season - thankfully there’s enough average sides at the bottom. Hopefully with a Gallagher, Ivanovic and a forward that it’s enough to give us a chance

the club have confirmed that in this Covid world - without the income of supporters - that they will not be gambling our future on survival.

it will be another case of Norwich last season in using the monies of the PL to secure our future - especially with no external investment from a benefactor.

It’s bloody frustrating but that’s the world we’re in.

Edited by Liam_Baggies