The Garry Monk Era is here...

2 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

We have been crying out for a change in faces and we now have it. As far as I'm concerned Monk's tenure starts now. He inherited a sheetshow when he started, poorly motivated, greedy, injured, unfit, unsettled players which have in the main gone. 

Best of luck to him and the new, hopefully hungry men. 

So that was the squad he took over from potato head yeah? So last summer you were really pessimistic and really happy now? Would be interesting to look back at posts from last summer before Bruce left

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

But that post is like when everyone is starving to death and big brother comes on to report record harvests. 

It really isn't

It's just a viewpoint that differs from yours

Different views

So in this thread opinions from all sides are being expressed

Hardly 'North Korea' is it?

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

No one. 

For the record the North Korea thing started in the first place because I wouldn't let Sheff United fans on the site, and they couldn't read the non-football section where we discuss Sheffield United unless they were registered and logged in.

So it's a Sheffield United fans thing 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

21 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Still needs 4-5 quality players to succeed

I'd be happy with 2-3 at this stage. 

If not, as I'm writing this I fear these numbers could be scorelines.

Brown and Dunkley will be big players this season, along with Bannan as always. The striker selection is, as always, the big decision which still needs to be made. 

• Like 2

He was the new ginger messiah when we were third, an appalling run since in the midst of a squad breaking apart, an inherited backroom team, covid and EFL charges makes him the worst manager in our history  apparently.

While I appreciate stats can be used to support those who take that view, has had more to deal with than most other managers in mitigation. I think he looks much more comfortable now, the club seems to be working to a plan, players have a smile on their face and we are trying to recruit the right type of players. 

I expect us to play as a team this season (rather than a collection of individual, sometimes looking like strangers to each other), solid shape, high press, similar to how we set up vs QPR away. 

He has a clean slate for me, I'm cautiously optimistic but hopeful he succeeds for the sake of the club. 

• Like 9

I am on board 

Bruce said it would take 4or 5 transfer windows to change things 

that was without not possibly knowing about the EFL stuff and Covid 

Monk and his team have got their work cut out but by building like we are doing Is the way 

and to stay up whilst doing it will be a result 

and next season we go again with a exiting new group 

Edited by hugeowl
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

So that was the squad he took over from potato head yeah? So last summer you were really pessimistic and really happy now? Would be interesting to look back at posts from last summer before Bruce left

You seem angry Plonk. The trouble is that the job at SWFC has not been an easy one under what I can best describe as haphazard leadership from DC. Unless we can get a big name like Bruce to lead us now (not going to happen), the big time charlies will run the show which is what I believe happened outside of Bruce's short tenure.

No one is saying Monk is perfect for us but beggars cant be choosers and he deserves a chance with his own backroom team and his own signings after shipping out players who were at my kindest on the gravy train IMO.

Dare to dream, backs to the wall and fight. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

For the record the North Korea thing started in the first place because I wouldn't let Sheff United fans on the site, and they couldn't read the non-football section where we discuss Sheffield United unless they were registered and logged in.

So it's a Sheffield United fans thing 👍

Yes. I know that I’ve been around a long time, and was meant a bit tongue in cheek. Yes different opinions, accept that. But personally, and I’m not alone, I’m finding it really hard to find much to be positive about. So when starts shouting “ look isn’t everything brilliant”, I can’t help but say no it’s not. 

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

Yes. I know that I’ve been around a long time, and was meant a bit tongue in cheek. Yes different opinions, accept that. But personally, and I’m not alone, I’m finding it really hard to find much to be positive about. So when starts shouting “ look isn’t everything brilliant”, I can’t help but say no it’s not. 

You don’t need to tell us quite so often though.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

That's totally fine mate - all opinions are welcome! 👍

I'm excited by the new era and the new season

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

You seem angry Plonk. The trouble is that the job at SWFC has not been an easy one under what I can best describe as haphazard leadership from DC. Unless we can get a big name like Bruce to lead us now (not going to happen), the big time charlies will run the show which is what I believe happened outside of Bruce's short tenure.

No one is saying Monk is perfect for us but beggars cant be choosers and he deserves a chance with his own backroom team and his own signings after shipping out players who were at my kindest on the gravy train IMO.

Dare to dream, backs to the wall and fight. 

Not angry at all mate. In fact I’ve never been less angry in my life. I just don’t like the rewriting of history that’s currently going on. Last summer in Portugal on pre season me and the lads I travel with were all really looking forward to the season. I think most of us thought the play offs were a reasonable bet? I talk to the same lads now and everyone is worrying if we can stay up. How have things changed so badly? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Agree. 

Unfortunately all i can see for the 'Monk Era' is a continuation of relegation form, Chansiri acting too late and ultimately relegation.

The OP post of attacking football will not happen under monk he doesnt play that way.

Monk Out

He has spend the last few months playing with two wingers at wingback. He is trying to be more attacking. But that's not easy to do with such a terrible defence. Which is why I think he has made that a priority. That and more creativity from midfield.

• Like 1