The Garry Monk Era is here...

Personally I'm not arsed about whether we play nice attacking football or not. Just care about results. I want 12 points under our belts as soon as possible. Then I want 12 more. Then 12 more etc etc. If we have to play eye bleeding garbage for that to happen then bring it on, I'll celebrate just as wildly as I would if we were playing like a 70s Brazil. 

• Like 3

Since the start of the year @Owlstalk has been a great cheer leader for Monk and that is his opinion which is fine.  It is a forum.

I have a very different view of Monk based on the truly appalling results and performances since Xmas.

Monk breeds conflict because he is a very poor leader and I have to say stupid with it.

In virtually every club in the Premier and EFL Monk would have been fired at lockdown and without doubt at the season end.

Chairman do not keep losers but in Chansiri the inept Monk got lucky.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Owls Loyal said:

Since the start of the year @Owlstalk has been a great cheer leader for Monk and that is his opinion which is fine.  It is a forum.

I have a very different view of Monk based on the truly appalling results and performances since Xmas.

Monk breeds conflict because he is a very poor leader and I have to say stupid with it.

In virtually every club in the Premier and EFL Monk would have been fired at lockdown and without doubt at the season end.

So your not impressed?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Owls Loyal said:

Don't you think there were extraordinary mitigating circumstances last season at all?

Owlstalk Shop

49 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 10.26.24.jpg

Now he has his own coaching and management set up finally in place, and the flushing out of the squad is happening and new hungry exciting players are coming to the club we are now properly entering the Garry Monk Era.

What do you think it will bring with it?

I think personally we will start to see exciting attacking football again with wing backs, crosses, counter attacks, and plenty of goals. I think it's a really exciting time and the points deduction no longer worries me  (after the initial shock/horror set in I can now see moves from the club to really go for it)

I think we'll do well under this new regime and I think the new coaching staff will really motivate this new group to do well.

I also think we will finally really start to see a happier and more successful Garry Monk who has been backed by the chairman and who is going to do much better now he can get the tired old faces out of the club and some fresh positive attitudes coming in to challenge the players who are remaining.

It's clear Garry Monk wants to create a team we can be proud of, who work their butts off to represent us in the Sheffield Wednesday shirt and he's promised us that he will create a real team to take pride in.

I'm looking forward to it

The Garry Monk era is finally beginning and it's already looking very exciting indeed

Relegation 

• Like 1

Just now, Plonk said:

Yes. I know that I’ve been around a long time, and was meant a bit tongue in cheek. Yes different opinions, accept that. But personally, and I’m not alone, I’m finding it really hard to find much to be positive about. So when starts shouting “ look isn’t everything brilliant”, I can’t help but say no it’s not. 

You are not on your own mate, there is precious little to be positive about to be honest.

We start our season on minus points for the first time in our history (and who knows what could happen the season after seeing as our accounts still haven'e been submitted), we have signed an injured Centre Half who by all accounts won't be missed by Wigan, an unproven youngster who has never played a senior league game, and a player who is often injured and scored 10 goals in his entire career. All 3 could turn out to be inspired signings, equally all 3 if failures would hardly be a surprise. We have 1 forward in the squad, who runs like Mr Burns, has the strength of Olive Oil and the confidence of Moleman off the Simpsons.

So, no, not exactly too much to be positive about. Now sign 3 strikers, plus Murphy, a defensive midfielder and a commanding Centre Half - then we can talk about positivity.

• Like 5

I hope he is a success as I am a Wednesdayite and want us to do well, very well. 

The only evidence we have on Monk at Hillsborough does not breed the optimism that a lot seem to have. We haven’t even had a proper warm up match yet. 

A threadbare squad and a few new voices behind the scenes doesn’t float my boat. 

Sincerely hope I am wrong, which won’t be for the first time. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't you think there were extraordinary mitigating circumstances last season at all?

I suspect that our three great Managers in Big Jack, Sgt Wilko and Big Ron would all have done just fine without their own group of coaches.

I saw a team under Monk that was poorly organised, lacked fight or fluidity and constantly gave away late goals.

I can see why Swansea, Boro and Brum got rid of Monk so quickly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

You are not on your own mate, there is precious little to be positive about to be honest.

We start our season on minus points for the first time in our history (and who knows what could happen the season after seeing as our accounts still haven'e been submitted), we have signed an injured Centre Half who by all accounts won't be missed by Wigan, an unproven youngster who has never played a senior league game, and a player who is often injured and scored 10 goals in his entire career. All 3 could turn out to be inspired signings, equally all 3 if failures would hardly be a surprise. We have 1 forward in the squad, who runs like Mr Burns, has the strength of Olive Oil and the confidence of Moleman off the Simpsons.

So, no, not exactly too much to be positive about. Now sign 3 strikers, plus Murphy, a defensive midfielder and a commanding Centre Half - then we can talk about positivity.

I bet you’re one of them that tuts everytime they pay for a plastic bag at Tesco.

57 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 10.26.24.jpg

Now he has his own coaching and management set up finally in place, and the flushing out of the squad is happening and new hungry exciting players are coming to the club we are now properly entering the Garry Monk Era.

What do you think it will bring with it?

I think personally we will start to see exciting attacking football again with wing backs, crosses, counter attacks, and plenty of goals. I think it's a really exciting time and the points deduction no longer worries me  (after the initial shock/horror set in I can now see moves from the club to really go for it)

I think we'll do well under this new regime and I think the new coaching staff will really motivate this new group to do well.

I also think we will finally really start to see a happier and more successful Garry Monk who has been backed by the chairman and who is going to do much better now he can get the tired old faces out of the club and some fresh positive attitudes coming in to challenge the players who are remaining.

It's clear Garry Monk wants to create a team we can be proud of, who work their butts off to represent us in the Sheffield Wednesday shirt and he's promised us that he will create a real team to take pride in.

I'm looking forward to it

The Garry Monk era is finally beginning and it's already looking very exciting indeed

I agree. The players we had last season have not done anything since our promotion push, in fact season upon season they have been worse. Last season was a hard one because it was just the manager with out his coaches. 

If it fails now and the players put top effort in every game ,then that is garrys fault. But he has my backing at the moment

• Like 1

1 minute ago, royalowlisback said:

This^^^

Period at the moment reminds me of the period of the early 200's where we had an equally hapless Chairman who spunked loads of cash on over the hill players who were then replaced by a collection who would struggle to get into another side. May as well start sandpapering my scrotum now as a warm up to the pleasure this season is going to bring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Not angry at all mate. In fact I’ve never been less angry in my life. I just don’t like the rewriting of history that’s currently going on. Last summer in Portugal on pre season me and the lads I travel with were all really looking forward to the season. I think most of us thought the play offs were a reasonable bet? I talk to the same lads now and everyone is worrying if we can stay up. How have things changed so badly? 

I think deep down we all feel a bit like that but the buck stops with the steward of the club, not Monk. If it were an attractive place to manage, we would have more higher profile managers like Bruce banging on the door. 

It is what it is and for me, we've sort of hit a bit of a rock bottom in getting that points penalty. The squad we have had for the last 4 or 5 years was so tired and damaged through failure, there was little excitement for me and you kind of knew what to expect, a team that showed little character or mental strength. We are walking into a bit of an unknown and I guess you can embrace it or be afraid of it. 

I like many others are used to being let down as a Wednesday fan but at least this time there is some hope that it will at least be different. The last 3 years have bored me to tears and frustrated me beyond belief, particularly the man in charge - DC. If he is loosening the reins and allowing a change of tact that, at least, is a good thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

This^^^

Period at the moment reminds me of the period of the early 200's where we had an equally hapless Chairman who spunked loads of cash on over the hill players who were then replaced by a collection who would struggle to get into another side. May as well start sandpapering my scrotum now as a warm up to the pleasure this season is going to bring.

Make sure you buy a good quality sandpaper set though, don't want them tearing 1st time you use them (the sandpaper or the scrotum).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, William 1867 said:

We will soon see Monk for what he is and what most of us already know that he's a poor manager and out of his depth.

Monk out.

I don't think it goes much deeper than -12 to start with.  He's not a poor manager IMO - no manager would have succeeded last season.  He's a typical Championship manager who needs a break or two - so let's help him along the way - it doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Not angry at all mate. In fact I’ve never been less angry in my life. I just don’t like the rewriting of history that’s currently going on. Last summer in Portugal on pre season me and the lads I travel with were all really looking forward to the season. I think most of us thought the play offs were a reasonable bet? I talk to the same lads now and everyone is worrying if we can stay up. How have things changed so badly? 

When thinks haven't been going well people expect them to deteriorate, when things are going great people become more positive and they expect them to get even better.

Other than that some peoeple always think negatively, others look on things positively. Not everyone obviously some take a reasoned and balanced view. The truth is no one knows the future.

Wen you are at the top there's only one way you can go.