The Garry Monk Era is here...

48 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

I agree. The players we had last season have not done anything since our promotion push, in fact season upon season they have been worse. Last season was a hard one because it was just the manager with out his coaches. 

If it fails now and the players put top effort in every game ,then that is garrys fault. But he has my backing at the moment

But the players from last season are all still at the club we have only signed 3 players so 8 of the starting 11 at least, will have been at the club last year.

We need new ideas, new impetuous with the squad, I hope the new coaches bring it because under Monk and Bullen the team was awful, under prepared, unable to do the basics, the amount of time the starting 11 was changed at half time or shortly after clearly showed this.

We now have no Fletcher, no Murphy, no Fessi, no Nuihu where are the goals coming from - midfield have scored very little without Reach and Lee playing well and we have Rhodes up front a man that last season the manager did not even pick for the match day squad on 19 of 40 occasions now with a scoring record of 1 game out of 46 last season (though only playing 16 games), he is going to fire us to safety in the league.

I pray for my club Monk and his staff get it right but if they don't instead of DC leaving it as late as possible he need to get rid quick and bring in someone who can create a siege mentality to the team to get us up to 4th bottom and safe. There are a few manager out there that we need but may not want because of the style of play, but under the football we got post Xmas from Monk I would have been happy to have a Megson, Pulis style team working for each other and grinding out results and playing for the shirt and the fans.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Bag for life - always mention that she is at home when they ask you at the check out if you need a bag or have you brought a bag. Quickly followed by; oh, you mean a carrier.

B Boom !

My missus nagged me for doing nothing during lockdown.

Why don’t you do something she said...would you make me a bird table she said.... and when I did she went off on one because I only put her in as fourth. 

• Haha 7

34 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not sure whether Monk is up to the job, but I hope he can. First off, we need to stop all this nonsense about him needing 5 windows. Yeah Bruce said it too, any manager would, it gives them longevity in the job. Longevity of course can be good, but not many managers will get two and a half years to turn things around. Certainly, I don’t expect us to be the finished article by the end of this window, but we need to be well on the way. The idea of 5 windows, might be appropriate if we did what most clubs do, and keep improving the squad gradually each window. We have chosen though to do it in a more dramatic fashion, by having a big clear out, something Monk himself has been a big cheerleader for. We haven’t done this because those players were blocking the path of others coming through, we’ve done it because the manager wanted to clear the decks to bring his own players in. He’s put that pressure on himself, so now he has to deliver. Where did he think those replacements were going to come from? 
As I see it, he has his staff now, and not before time, he should know what’s needed, and he’s already created the space, and freed up the funds to bring in the players who will improve us

But what if it was true?You are right in the current 'nuclear' environment managers have to work in,it is unlikely they would get that lenth of time,in most Clubs without showing significant progress.However most on here accept Bruces ability,why Q this?

When i saw that quote,to me it meant Bruce was looking to make wholesale changes,not tinkering around the edges,or 'fine tuning'....

With staggered contract endings,and Players here with years left on existing contracts,& difficult to move on,i think 5 'windows' or '4' was both accurate,& a reasonable timescale.

I think the squad would have run out of steam too,under Bruce,had he stayed.

Edited by parajack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Not angry at all mate. In fact I’ve never been less angry in my life. I just don’t like the rewriting of history that’s currently going on. Last summer in Portugal on pre season me and the lads I travel with were all really looking forward to the season. I think most of us thought the play offs were a reasonable bet? I talk to the same lads now and everyone is worrying if we can stay up. How have things changed so badly? 

Minus Fletcher and 12 points would do it? 

I have been a big critic of Monk and wanted him sacked

However now he has back up staff in place i am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and judge him on what happens next, rather than what has happened

Pleased with signings we have made but as everyone knows, including Monk i would assume, we do need more, especially forwards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Realism.

There will be a positivity to the whole club, when he gets the sack.

DC said it would be difficult to change the team completely around but was hoping Monk could do it before the 4th transfer window...then for the following two years we can have a real go at promotionlol

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, prowl said:

I hope you are right. I'm not sure we will be the attacking force you envisage, certainly not at this stage. Much depends on how recruitment goes between now and the end of the window.

I'd say it's an encouraging start but it could go either way. I'll take that at this stage, onwards and upwards.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-08-27 at 10.26.24.jpg

Now he has his own coaching and management set up finally in place, and the flushing out of the squad is happening and new hungry exciting players are coming to the club we are now properly entering the Garry Monk Era.

What do you think it will bring with it?

I think personally we will start to see exciting attacking football again with wing backs, crosses, counter attacks, and plenty of goals. I think it's a really exciting time and the points deduction no longer worries me  (after the initial shock/horror set in I can now see moves from the club to really go for it)

I think we'll do well under this new regime and I think the new coaching staff will really motivate this new group to do well.

I also think we will finally really start to see a happier and more successful Garry Monk who has been backed by the chairman and who is going to do much better now he can get the tired old faces out of the club and some fresh positive attitudes coming in to challenge the players who are remaining.

It's clear Garry Monk wants to create a team we can be proud of, who work their butts off to represent us in the Sheffield Wednesday shirt and he's promised us that he will create a real team to take pride in.

I'm looking forward to it

The Garry Monk era is finally beginning and it's already looking very exciting indeed

How can we be an attacking force with ONE striker at the club? Laughable! 

Just now, Kagoshimaowl said:

How can we be an attacking force with ONE striker at the club? Laughable! 

Really?

You  REALLY  expect us not to sign any other strikers?

You want us to take you seriously but you are seemingly suggesting that Sheffield Wednesday FC will go into next season with just Jordan Rhodes on the books?

REALLY?

Come on now.... People won't take you seriously if you suggest things like that mate. They'll just think you have some kind of weird agenda

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Kagoshimaowl
Just now, @owlstalk said:

Really?

You want us to take you seriously but you are seemingly suggesting that Sheffield Wednesday FC will go into next season with just Jordan Rhodes on the books?

REALLY?

Come on now.... People won't take you seriously if you suggest things like that mate. They'll just think you have some kind of weird agenda

The season is two weeks away. This situation is ridiculous. I don’t want a striker coming in on the Friday before the game unfit.  We are doomed.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Really?

REALLY?

The season starts in 8 days, quite a tight deadline that.

Really?

REALLY?

Yes - I don't expect us to sign any forwards. In GM's mind we probably need another 5 centre halves.

2 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

The season is two weeks away. This situation is ridiculous. I don’t want a striker coming in on the Friday before the game unfit.  We are doomed.

But you do realise that all other clubs are in the same exact position right?

Every one of them 

Not a single club has completed all their signings yet

It's the same every season mate - clubs continue to sign players after the season has kicked off

The days of buying players and having them all for day one of pre-season training is in the past, over, kaput, no more.

Get with the times!

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

The season starts in 8 days, quite a tight deadline that.

So normally we finish beginning of May and start in August but have had around six weeks and you thing everyone else has done their business lol  Clubs will be signing players until the October deadline. THEN we have a look at our squad and see where we are.

Edited by daveyboy66

13 minutes ago, parajack said:

But what if it was true?You are right in the current 'nuclear' environment managers have to work in,it is unlikely they would get that lenth of time,in most Clubs without showing significant progress.However most on here accept Bruces ability,why Q this?

When i saw that quote,to me it meant Bruce was looking to make wholesale changes,not tinkering around the edges,or 'fine tuning'....

With staggered contract endings,and Players here with years left on existing contracts,& difficult to move on,i think 5 'windows' or '4' was both accurate,& a reasonable timescale.

I think the squad would have run out of steam too,under Bruce,had he stayed.

That's why it was a no brainer for Bruce to leave, he could see the writing on the wall. 

Things were so much better when we had blind optimism under the Three Steve's.

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

But you do realise that all other clubs are in the same exact position right?

Every one of them 

Not a single club has completed all their signings yet

It's the same every season mate - clubs continue to sign players after the season has kicked off

The days of buying players and having them all for day one of pre-season training is in the past, over, kaput, no more.

Get with the times!

lol

No they are not. Are you a bit dim? Nobody has only ONE striker at their club going into the new season except us. I’m mildly happy with the defence and midfield (our keepers are awful but that’s a different conversation) but our attacking options are pathetic and it’s totally his fault for releasing everyone. Nuhiu at least should have been offered a year. Terrible management to leave us in this predicament two weeks before the season starts. Stop ‘Happy Clapping’ and open your eyes. Monk is taking us down!

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

So normally we finish beginning of May and start in August but have had around six weeks and you thing everyone else has done their business lol

Does every other club have just one forward in the squad, a forward that we are stuck with and doesn't even usually make the matchday squad?

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

His body language and the way he spoke the other day seems a more relaxed and confident manner. He still repeats himself, he still repeats himself but I would imagine now that he's got his "friends" as he calls them around him he will have more authority and back up than being a loner amongst a set of players and staff who possibly didn't listen. 

I wasn't keen originally but let's hope he turns things around and gets us up the league. 

I'm quietly confident/hopeful. 

Irony alert lol

Guest Kagoshimaowl
Just now, @owlstalk said:

Stopped reading at this point

Please don't turn threads personal mate

Oh for Pete’s sake. Don’t get all upset. Read the thread and disagree with me. I’m totally right. Our situation is amateurish!