Eddie Howe anyone?

I would be surprised to see any young manager with success on their CV turn up at Hillsborough these days.  If it’s a Howe type manager we’re going for then will have to take a leap of faith and appoint someone promising but unproven.

If Monk was to leave, I would quite like to see a management team put in place, with an older head (McCarthy or Holloway?) ultimately handing over to a younger assistant.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

If Eddie Howe becomes Wednesday manager I will show my bare arse on the Town Hall Steps.

How will that help?

If Eddie Howe becomes Wednesday manager I will....

Cheer

Buy a season ticket

Buy an Eddie Howe club towel

Sponsor a player

Not sure how mooning will help?

Edited by Rev Owl
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

I would quite like to see a management team put in place, with an older head (McCarthy or Holloway?) ultimately handing over to a younger assistant.

Genuine question - has this ever happened?

And if it has, has it been done successfully?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grandad

I can definitely see him swapping a £42m parachute payment with a squad full of experienced Premiership players - for a transfer budget of £350k and a squad full of nobodies

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Must be some cases of promotion from within working out well (Bob Paisley didn’t do too badly), but can’t think of any examples where a team was put in place specifically to achieve this.

No doubt there's plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong (clash of egos?) but nothing ventured nothing gained.  It might help give us the stability required to rebuild the club, making the most of both an experienced head (to help steady the ship) and younger talent to take us forward from there.  Let’s be honest, recent appointments haven’t been particularly successful, and whilst I have some sympathy with Monk, I have little confidence he can turn things round. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Mourinho as assistant to Bobby Robson at Barcelona is the closest I can think of although learning the trade rather than taking over the reins

Not sure how he turned out 🤔

Edited by Baldrick

9 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Mourinho as assistant to Bobby Robson at Barcelona is the closest I can think of although learning the trade rather than taking over the reins

Not sure how he turned out 🤔

Think mourinho worked as a translator under robson and wasn’t anything to do with coaching staff. 

5 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Think mourinho worked as a translator under robson and wasn’t anything to do with coaching staff. 

Started as a translator at Porto with him but then at Barcelona worked as assistant with him and later Van Gaal (according to Wikipedia anyway!) 

2 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Most overated manager in the history of football

You're right.

This last decade I also took control and managed a small seaside town with a a population of 180,000 people. We had a stadium holding just over 10,000.

We were one game off going out of the football league. The next 10 years I took a team of league 2 footballs up through the divisions and achieved 3 promotions. Then had 5 seasons in the premier league briniging record hundreds of millions of pounds of revenue into the clue, not to mention the positive economic effect of had on the town.

Had a top half from finish, a couple of midtable finishes also. Signed lower league players and helped coach them into international regulars. Was then able to attract and sign international footballers to my small seaside club. 

I thought I’d done a good job, but if the realist says I’m overrated just like Eddie Howe then so be it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What he has done with Bournemouth is remarkable, will be quite a few Premier clubs keeping an eye on his availability.

The cheating, dirty, vile, nauseating, scum neighbours, should be thinking about him. 

What? Thinking that it's good they already have a manager better than Eddie Howe?

36 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

You're right.

This last decade I also took control and managed a small seaside town with a a population of 180,000 people. We had a stadium holding just over 10,000.

We were one game off going out of the football league. The next 10 years I took a team of league 2 footballs up through the divisions and achieved 3 promotions. Then had 5 seasons in the premier league briniging record hundreds of millions of pounds of revenue into the clue, not to mention the positive economic effect of had on the town.

Had a top half from finish, a couple of midtable finishes also. Signed lower league players and helped coach them into international regulars. Was then able to attract and sign international footballers to my small seaside club. 

I thought I’d done a good job, but if the realist says I’m overrated just like Eddie Howe then so be it.

What seaside town was it that you managed.?

lol

• Haha 1