Dejphon Chansiri - Sheffield Wednesday Chairman - Thread

Just now, REDOWL said:

Thanks for this KivoOwl. A comprehensive assessment of Chansiri's lamentable tenure of our SWFC. A total disconnect from us the fans which couldn't have been bettered by anyone.

Thats the thing as well. 

We were never valued. We were never part of the journey. We were viewed as customers and blamed directly for bad signings and for players being nervous and not being able to play at Hillsborough. Then, in between the blame, we've just been ignored and treat with silence. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 09.18.58.jpg

Thought we'd have a thread about the Chairman to discuss his performance as our chairman, his plan, strategy, achievements, and how he's set up the football club for success this season.

If we're going to be discussing the success of the football club then Chansiri is the figurehead, the leader, the overall decision maker at Sheffield Wednesday

So how do you think he's done this season?

When he came I said I would 'give' him 5 years to learn about the football business.

So, now i have to say he seems incapable of learning and so i would not lose any sleep if he sold up and left.

I think he should listen to his family for sake of both their health, physical and financial.

Guest wilyfox
7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF

That's like saying you need to wait for Atdhe Nuhiu to retire before judging his performance as a player

Stop chatting nonsense and let the thread ride mate

If you don't want to contribute that's fine - just leave the thread

Not the same at all. I can call out pre-judgement if I like. Let that ride. Or is it only talk allowed by you in a designated thread of your choosing?

Guest Grandad

Ive not read others thoughts first so this may mirror them

I think Chansiri fell out of love with Wednesday on the day of the Norwich home game in November 2018. The home defeat of 4-0.

After that defeat some fans had a go at him outside the ground. Thats when the massaging of his ego largely stoppped and he disappeared to Thailand - not returning until a few days before the Fans Forum a few days before Christmas - still insisting he would keep Jos. The Fans Forum was a stormy one - despite him getting a standing ovation for insisting that anybody who thought United had better players didnt understand football.

The appointment of Bruce probably gave him renewed impetus and he will certainly have enjoyed the return of the feel-good factor that Bruces appointment saw return.

Followed by the massive disappointment when he walked.

I feel sorry for Chansiri. If I was a betting man - I'd hazard a guess he probably thought that £200m was easily enough to get us in the Premiership. And it should have done - in the right hands. It very nearly did. But I wouldnt be surprised 

But since those days the mismanagement has been horrendous - and hes clearly been taken for a ride by some of the people that he uses for advice.

I feel sorry for him. 

32 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Lots I've missed out as I couldn't be arsed to update it for a while.

Jan 2015 -    First involvement - the signing of Sergiu Bus, Marnick Vermijl and Filipe Melo.
Apr 2015 -    Chief buddhist 'blessed' the ground.
May 2015 -    Three 'advisors' appointed - Glenn Roeder, Paul Senior and Adam Pearson. All three left within weeks.
Jun 2015 -    Signed Darrly Lachman, Marco Matias, Lewis Price, Lewis McGugan, Rhoys Wiggins, Modou Sougou
Jul 2015 -    Season ticket prices - cheapest Kop adult up from £360 to £395
May 2016 -    Losses of £11m announced
May 2016 -    Average price of cheapest POTG ticket over 15/16 season - up from £23.57 to £31.11
Jan 2016 -    Club badge of 40+ years changed. Fans not consulted
Jun 2016 -    Signed Jake Kean, Almen Abdi, Urby Emanuelson, Morgan Fox
Jul 2016 -    Lewis McGugan frozen out
Jul 2016 -    Stripes ditched from the shirt. Fans not consulted. Replica kits not for sale until after season has started.
Jul 2016 -    Season ticket prices - cheapest Kop adult up from £395 to £415
Jul 2016 -    Membership price up from £30 to £50
Aug 2016 -    Bizarre squad numbering announced
Sep 2016 -    Golden elephants placed outside of South Stand for good luck
Oct 2016 -    Two minutes silence for the recently deceased King of Thailand
Nov 2016 -    Puts CHANSIRI in place of SWFC on the North Stand seats
May 2017 -    Losses of £20m announced
May 2017 -    Average price of cheapest POTG ticket over 15/16 season - up from £31.11 to £33.26
Jun 2017 -    Signed Jordan Rhodes, George Boyd, Joost van Aken, Joey Pelupessy
Jul 2017 -    Season ticket prices - cheapest Kop adult up from £415 to £455
Jul 2017 -    George Hirst frozen out. Leaves for free
Jul 2017 -    Replica kits not for sale until after season has started
Aug 2017 -    Club1867 announced. A bronze plaque for £1,500, with a 'free' 3-year season ticket upon promotion to PL
Aug 2017 -    DTaxis and Elev8 announced as kit sponsors
Sep 2017 -    Cakeball
Jan 2018 -    Jos Luhukay appointed manager
Jan 2018 -    Katrien Meire appointed CEO
Feb 2018 -    Fans polled regarding ticket prices and squad investment. 70% voted for ticket prices and squad investment to stay at current levels, 30% voted for lower ticket prices and promotion of youth players
Mar 2018 -    Losses of £21m announced
Apr 2018 -    Sean Clare frozen out over contract dispute. Leaves for free
Jul 2018 -    Membership price up from £50 to £90
Jul 2018 -    Replica kits not for sale until after season has started
Aug 2018 -    No pre-season player signings for first time since pre-WWII. Youth players promoted into the first team squad
Aug 2018 -    Banned BBC Radio Sheffield from covering games, charging fans £4.50 a month to sign up to club radio instead
Aug 2018 -    Fans told that a transfer embargo has been lifted, having not been told we were in one to start with
Feb 2019 -    Katrien Meire leaves the club
Jul 2019 -    Profit of £2.5m announced, helped by the sale of the ground to Chansiri for £60m
Nov 2019 -    Charged by EFL over ground sale being included in the wrong set of accounts in order to escape P&S rules
Jan 2020 -    Unveiling of 10 year season tickets
Jul 2020 -    Finished 16th in Championship, three places lower than when Chansiri took over

Well that about covers it.

Sack Monk.....

Guest Grandad
34 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Lots I've missed out as I couldn't be arsed to update it for a while.

Jan 2015 -    First involvement - the signing of Sergiu Bus, Marnick Vermijl and Filipe Melo.
Apr 2015 -    Chief buddhist 'blessed' the ground.
May 2015 -    Three 'advisors' appointed - Glenn Roeder, Paul Senior and Adam Pearson. All three left within weeks.
Jun 2015 -    Signed Darrly Lachman, Marco Matias, Lewis Price, Lewis McGugan, Rhoys Wiggins, Modou Sougou
Jul 2015 -    Season ticket prices - cheapest Kop adult up from £360 to £395
May 2016 -    Losses of £11m announced
May 2016 -    Average price of cheapest POTG ticket over 15/16 season - up from £23.57 to £31.11
Jan 2016 -    Club badge of 40+ years changed. Fans not consulted
Jun 2016 -    Signed Jake Kean, Almen Abdi, Urby Emanuelson, Morgan Fox
Jul 2016 -    Lewis McGugan frozen out
Jul 2016 -    Stripes ditched from the shirt. Fans not consulted. Replica kits not for sale until after season has started.
Jul 2016 -    Season ticket prices - cheapest Kop adult up from £395 to £415
Jul 2016 -    Membership price up from £30 to £50
Aug 2016 -    Bizarre squad numbering announced
Sep 2016 -    Golden elephants placed outside of South Stand for good luck
Oct 2016 -    Two minutes silence for the recently deceased King of Thailand
Nov 2016 -    Puts CHANSIRI in place of SWFC on the North Stand seats
May 2017 -    Losses of £20m announced
May 2017 -    Average price of cheapest POTG ticket over 15/16 season - up from £31.11 to £33.26
Jun 2017 -    Signed Jordan Rhodes, George Boyd, Joost van Aken, Joey Pelupessy
Jul 2017 -    Season ticket prices - cheapest Kop adult up from £415 to £455
Jul 2017 -    George Hirst frozen out. Leaves for free
Jul 2017 -    Replica kits not for sale until after season has started
Aug 2017 -    Club1867 announced. A bronze plaque for £1,500, with a 'free' 3-year season ticket upon promotion to PL
Aug 2017 -    DTaxis and Elev8 announced as kit sponsors
Sep 2017 -    Cakeball
Jan 2018 -    Jos Luhukay appointed manager
Jan 2018 -    Katrien Meire appointed CEO
Feb 2018 -    Fans polled regarding ticket prices and squad investment. 70% voted for ticket prices and squad investment to stay at current levels, 30% voted for lower ticket prices and promotion of youth players
Mar 2018 -    Losses of £21m announced
Apr 2018 -    Sean Clare frozen out over contract dispute. Leaves for free
Jul 2018 -    Membership price up from £50 to £90
Jul 2018 -    Replica kits not for sale until after season has started
Aug 2018 -    No pre-season player signings for first time since pre-WWII. Youth players promoted into the first team squad
Aug 2018 -    Banned BBC Radio Sheffield from covering games, charging fans £4.50 a month to sign up to club radio instead
Aug 2018 -    Fans told that a transfer embargo has been lifted, having not been told we were in one to start with
Feb 2019 -    Katrien Meire leaves the club
Jul 2019 -    Profit of £2.5m announced, helped by the sale of the ground to Chansiri for £60m
Nov 2019 -    Charged by EFL over ground sale being included in the wrong set of accounts in order to escape P&S rules
Jan 2020 -    Unveiling of 10 year season tickets
Jul 2020 -    Finished 16th in Championship, three places lower than when Chansiri took over

This is a great list. But it also misses out great signings for the club like Forestieri, Bannan, wallace.

If youre going to produce a comprehensive list it has to be fair

If we sleep walk into next season then I can see it being my last to be honest. I’ve supported the club through thin and thinner, but I can’t remember a time where I’ve had so littler belief of everyone at the club. From chairman to the players. There’s literally no one I can get behind. They take me and my fellow fans for granted right now, with very little appreciation shown for our continued financial support we provide.

Edited by bigdan2003
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Thats the thing as well. 

We were never valued. We were never part of the journey. We were viewed as customers and blamed directly for bad signings and for players being nervous and not being able to play at Hillsborough. Then, in between the blame, we've just been ignored and treat with silence. 

The only good thing to come out of the lockdown is putting the ‘it’s the fans fault’ myth to bed. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

If we sleep walk into next season then I can see it being my last to be honest. I’ve supported the club through thin and thinner, but I can’t remember a time where I’ve had so littler belief of everyone at the club. From chairman to the players. There’s literally no one I can get behind. They take me and my fellow fans for granted right now, with very little appreciation shown for our continued financial support we provide.

Ditto........

Guest Grandad
5 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Apparently the money the fans pay "doesnt cover anything" - so you (nor I) will be missed

7 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Ive not read others thoughts first so this may mirror them

I think Chansiri fell out of love with Wednesday on the day of the Norwich home game in November 2018. The home defeat of 4-0.

After that defeat some fans had a go at him outside the ground. Thats when the massaging of his ego largely stoppped and he disappeared to Thailand - not returning until a few days before the Fans Forum a few days before Christmas - still insisting he would keep Jos. The Fans Forum was a stormy one - despite him getting a standing ovation for insisting that anybody who thought United had better players didnt understand football.

The appointment of Bruce probably gave him renewed impetus and he will certainly have enjoyed the return of the feel-good factor that Bruces appointment saw return.

Followed by the massive disappointment when he walked.

I feel sorry for Chansiri. If I was a betting man - I'd hazard a guess he probably thought that £200m was easily enough to get us in the Premiership. And it should have done - in the right hands. It very nearly did. But I wouldnt be surprised 

But since those days the mismanagement has been horrendous - and hes clearly been taken for a ride by some of the people that he uses for advice.

I feel sorry for him. 

I do accept that he has been taken for a ride but at no point has he shown any interest in drawing in the input of others or in proceeding with a sense of unity. When one of his first actions was to essentially lose us all of our corporate sponsors then you get an insight into his own style of working. 

• Like 2

the club had the potential to really connect with the fans (customers) but they have treated us with disdain.

Its a shame as clubs can be rubbish on the field but if fans feel "ownership" then they will forgive many things that arent right (inc performances).  There is only so much goodwill most fans will give and we saw that with dropping attendances/people walking out of the stadium mid match post xmas.

The corona lockdown gave the club a real chance to make a positive impact on Sheffield (look at what Rashford has done at Man U) but they just appear to have hidden away (apart from showing youtube videos which reminded us of when we were actually good).

Re ownership i do doubt who actually has the final say as surely if you have "invested" 200m+ into a club you wouldnt just sit back and accept what has happened since Bruce left. 

11 minutes ago, Grandad said:

This is a great list. But it also misses out great signings for the club like Forestieri, Bannan, wallace.

If youre going to produce a comprehensive list it has to be fair

And getting to a playoff final.

10 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

There's this weird sense of arrogance or perhaps it is now indifference from the club.

That in someway what they are producing is acceptable or that they dont really care enough to change it.

Guest Grandad

When did he sack all the physios? And replace them with physios who weren't qualified to enter the field of play - and so we had to have separate matchday physios too?

2 minutes ago, modboy said:

the club had the potential to really connect with the fans (customers) but they have treated us with disdain.

Its a shame as clubs can be rubbish on the field but if fans feel "ownership" then they will forgive many things that arent right (inc performances).  There is only so much goodwill most fans will give and we saw that with dropping attendances/people walking out of the stadium mid match post xmas.

The corona lockdown gave the club a real chance to make a positive impact on Sheffield (look at what Rashford has done at Man U) but they just appear to have hidden away (apart from showing youtube videos which reminded us of when we were actually good).

Re ownership i do doubt who actually has the final say as surely if you have "invested" 200m+ into a club you wouldnt just sit back and accept what has happened since Bruce left. 

Sad fact is, it appears that this is exactly what's happening.