THE EFL HEARING THREAD

I genuinely don’t understand how the EFL make life as difficult as it seems to be for financial governance.

I work as a financial accountant for a social housing provider which is hugely regulated and feel the EFL need a brand new approach to their governance and financial reporting in a similar way so that penalties are imposed in the season that the rules are broken to stop clubs gambling in the way that us, Villa, Wolves etc. have done.

Football clubs finances are fairly simple with the following main categories:

Income: Ticket sales, advertising, television revenue.

Outgoings: Player wages, amortisation of player registrations.

I would propose a system where there isn’t a 3 year rolling financial performance rule and each club has to adhere to the financial constraints set out by the EFL every season.

Each club would submit their budget for the season based on the above, giving their predicted profit / loss.

Any budget that takes a club over the allowed wage bill / loss for the season would immediately be flagged for a potential points loss and entered in to an immediate dialogue with the EFL as to how they were going to resolve this, as in player sales in the transfer window etc.

Clubs would then have to submit quarterly financial performance reports to prove that they were sticking to their budget, and discrepancies would again put a club on the flagged list.

By the time the January transfer window is closed, clubs do not have any means of generating a large amount of additional income or reducing the wage bill, so from February of that season the EFL could start handing out penalties based on the information submitted.

Any club that submits false or misleading information would be penalised harder with penalties so as automatic relegation by 1 / 2 divisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t believe for a second that the IDC have heard the case and the EFL are still waiting for a verdict, no way not a chance 

The EFL have lost and have appealed and told everyone no comment until end of appeal 

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, Grandad said:

I think with continued investment into our Academy programme - we would have been seeing results rom that by now.

Its not done Leeds any harm. Or Sheffield United.

I definitely think that as a club we would have been stronger today for it. And I think our fans would have appreciated seeing young lads coming through from the academy. I know weve all enjoyed seeing the progress of the likes of Alex hunt. I think we'd have also seen progress from the likes of George Hirst too - he'd have certainly been out on loan a couple of years ago and playing first team football by now.

So yes (is the short answer). I think the steady progress made would have kept the fans off his back.

Appreciate your considered response to this @nevthelodgemoorowl

Presumably you're still worried that he was a front man for the Triads?

The local journos should push the EFL as hard as possible on this, no reason given for a delay that sees us with no verdict 2 days before end of season ? 

There blatantly lying 

4 minutes ago, akbuk said:

He missed the word isn't out

OK so you think it should have read " there's isn't  ". ?.

I think it should have read  " there isn’t  ".

Meaning he missed 1 word and added an incorrect bit to the previous word.

Just a quick check would have sorted it. 

9 minutes ago, andytrig said:

I genuinely don’t understand how the EFL make life as difficult as it seems to be for financial governance.

I work as a financial accountant for a social housing provider which is hugely regulated and feel the EFL need a brand new approach to their governance and financial reporting in a similar way so that penalties are imposed in the season that the rules are broken to stop clubs gambling in the way that us, Villa, Wolves etc. have done.

I would propose a system where there isn’t a 3 year rolling financial performance rule and each club has to adhere to the financial constraints set out by the EFL every season.

Each club would submit their budget for the season based on the above, giving their predicted profit / loss.

Any budget that takes a club over the allowed wage bill / loss for the season would immediately be flagged for a potential points loss and entered in to an immediate dialogue with the EFL as to how they were going to resolve this, as in player sales in the transfer window etc.

Clubs would then have to submit quarterly financial performance reports to prove that they were sticking to their budget, and discrepancies would again put a club on the flagged list.

By the time the January transfer window is closed, clubs do not have any means of generating a large amount of additional income or reducing the wage bill, so from February of that season the EFL could start handing out penalties based on the information submitted.

Any club that submits false or misleading information would be penalised harder with penalties so as automatic relegation by 1 / 2 divisions.

Everything was going oh so well then you mentioned Dialogue !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Don’t believe for a second that the IDC have heard the case and the EFL are still waiting for a verdict, no way not a chance 

The EFL have lost and have appealed and told everyone no comment until end of appeal 

i'd tweak that

it was said in the press our verdict would be announced with Derby's. I'm hoping they lost our case and are waiting to see if they lose the Derby one too so making an appeal against us less likely to succeed whereas if the win the case against Derby they may have groounds to appeal against us   - basically I don't know and trying to square the circle of why they are waiting to announce :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

The local journos should push the EFL as hard as possible on this, no reason given for a delay that sees us with no verdict 2 days before end of season ? 

There blatantly lying 

100% this. Questions need to be asked. It just Isn’t right we will go in to the last game and chances are not know where we stand. It isn’t fair for us and it isn’t fair on other teams in the relegation fight. 

Just now, steelowl said:

i'd tweak that

it was said in the press our verdict would be announced with Derby's. I'm hoping they lost our case and are waiting to see if they lose the Derby one too so making an appeal against us less likely to succeed whereas if the win the case against Derby they may have groounds to appeal against us   - basically I don't know and trying to square the circle of why they are waiting to announce :unsure:

Are they not 2 very different charges though ?  I don’t see what relevance Derby’s case has to ours to need a joint decision/announcement 

EFL are passing buck here, there’s a reason for the delay and they arnt prepared to tell anyone

I’ll get shouted down and told it’s the Panels fault and not the EFL but wether it is or it isn’t , the Panel are a part of the EFL’s process and someone has to have some accountability here ?    The EFL are responsible for upholding the integrity of the league and governing clubs , what there doing here by letting this run to the end of the season is absolutely out of order for me 

Complete disregard for the fans and clubs all involved with the bottom of this division, going into the final game on Wednesday and not knowing where they stand is an absolute joke 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Are they not 2 very different charges though ?  I don’t see what relevance Derby’s case has to ours to need a joint decision/announcement 

EFL are passing buck here, there’s a reason for the delay and they arnt prepared to tell anyone

tbh I agree but   I havent seen the charge sheet specifics there may be a connection we arent aware of 

tbh it's ridiculous 

4 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Everything was going oh so well then you mentioned Dialogue !

Lol, true. There would need to be vast improvement from both the EFL and the clubs but if the EFL don't want to continue with situations such as the one we are in at the moment, something drastic needs to be done.

15 minutes ago, andytrig said:

Post of the whole thread!

Unfortunately your proposed system is too transparent for the EFL and many clubs to agree to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who says they can’t see why Barnsley etc are a bit annoyed clearly aren’t wired up right 

Put that boot on the other foot and we would be absolutely up in arms and I don’t care if they’ve been poorest side in division and not got enough points,  if points was all it were down to they wouldn’t have a case to be moaning about 

Relegation decided by lawsuits.... Game has gone