THE EFL HEARING THREAD

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

You haven't answered the question. 

What was his business plan? What was the ultimate aim for sheffield Wednesday football club. Note: aim for the club. Not for Milan.

His aim was to put the club on a sound financial footing while making us a more saleable asset

To make us a more saleable asset he had to establish year on year progress and deliver a strong playing squad to do it.

He delivered both

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

He would have sold it to the first one who plonked the dosh in his bank account.

Don't spoil it. I'm reminiscing with tinted glasses on about how altruistic and progressive our previous owners have been as opposed to nasty DC. 

This right here is what is wrong with people nowadays. People need something to stand for, something to define them otherwise they feel lost. 

Guest Grandad
Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Chansiri has pulled the wool over a lot of Wednesdayites eyes. Super businessman though. 

Just now, Grandad said:

His aim was to put the club on a sound financial footing while making us a more saleable asset

To make us a more saleable asset he had to establish year on year progress and deliver a strong playing squad to do it.

He delivered both

The two are generally mutually exclusive. His time here was limited. Do you think this approach could have gone on forever without the inevitable backlash against perceived lack of investment?

2 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

Don't spoil it. I'm reminiscing with tinted glasses on about how altruistic and progressive our previous owners have been as opposed to nasty DC. 

This right here is what is wrong with people nowadays. People need something to stand for, something to define them otherwise they feel lost. 

Yeah, sorry forgot about that.  Altruistic...  

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

D7F4991F-8FCE-4E9B-98AD-D3CDB801D32A.jpeg

Great shirt.  I seemed to remember the Azerbaijan billboards all around Hillsborough for the majority of the season, even after the deal went sour.  Now that's great business!

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, Spondon Owl said:

The two are generally mutually exclusive. His time here was limited. Do you think this approach could have gone on forever without the inevitable backlash against perceived lack of investment?

I think with continued investment into our Academy programme - we would have been seeing results rom that by now.

Its not done Leeds any harm. Or Sheffield United.

I definitely think that as a club we would have been stronger today for it. And I think our fans would have appreciated seeing young lads coming through from the academy. I know weve all enjoyed seeing the progress of the likes of Alex hunt. I think we'd have also seen progress from the likes of George Hirst too - he'd have certainly been out on loan a couple of years ago and playing first team football by now.

So yes (is the short answer). I think the steady progress made would have kept the fans off his back.

The specific circumstances which allowed MM to buy the club were probably, save for what The Prince achieved @ the pigs, is the only real way of making money on a non-PL club.

Due to effective admin, he was able to pick-off the Co-op; directors and other share holders for a modest investment. He was the only game in town at the time and fair play to him - it was a mutually agreeable arrangement which resulted in us wiping off the £25m debt strangle-hold from the 2000 relegation, and getting back in the Championship.

He was getting desperate towards the end of his tenure, as we were losing £6m/year, which was eating into his value. He sold at the right time and made off with a few £ms but perhaps not as much as he had expected/hoped for.

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yep he did too. But Mandaric would have sold us to anyone who stumped up.

Wasn’t it the rumour that it was actually Mandaric who got DC in contact with the likes of Doyen? 

I'd imagine that was more likely Pini Zahavi - who had provided some funds to Mandaric.

Pini Zahavi and Doyens upper echelons were certainly in touch - whether friendly or not is another question

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

Automatic relegation sets a huge example, anyone else who breaks the rules (and they will) would have to be treat the same 

Maybe that's what the EFL want, to stop others thinking about doing bogus  stadium sales.