THE EFL HEARING THREAD

3 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Can anyone explain what penalty we have avoided (so far) by selling the ground?  Would we have been back in embargo, subject to a points deduction or possibly both?  Just trying to understand how we have benefited to date by our questionable accounting treatment of the sale.

FFP breach would have been 12 points I think without the ground sale 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

But we could find someone better who wants to run the club in a more sustainable way, and have better relationships with fans, and not hoard players

etc etc etc

He took us in a direction we have never travelled and it nearly paid off. As I have said all along some of his decisions are very ill informed and ill thought out.

I totally agree that we should have moved players on at times but if we had sold our better players when we were knocking on the door there would have been uproar amongst the fanbase 

Genuine question as I know very little about the ins and outs of running a business, but in the case of a sole owner are there legal protections that prevent the owner from winding up the company themselves in order to cut losses?

For reference I’m not suggesting Chansiri would even contemplate such a thing, but I’m interested in the actual legal possibilities for a company owner. 

Just now, dr. benway said:

Genuine question as I know very little about the ins and outs of running a business, but in the case of a sole owner are there legal protections that prevent the owner from winding up the company themselves in order to cut losses?

For reference I’m not suggesting Chansiri would even contemplate such a thing, but I’m interested in the actual legal possibilities for a company owner. 

There is legislation in place yes but there is always the administration route etc.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

He took us in a direction we have never travelled and it nearly paid off. As I have said all along some of his decisions are very ill informed and ill thought out.

I totally agree that we should have moved players on at times but if we had sold our better players when we were knocking on the door there would have been uproar amongst the fanbase 

I think a more accurate summary of his time at the club would be an overall picture, the results, the financial situation, the selling of the ground, the EFL charges. 

That would be a more fair way to view his time here rather than just a couple of points

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

The two things are totally different things

I keep getting told this but I don’t see how it is? Surely the individuals charged for misconduct were the main orchestrators of the original transaction as they were the most senior administrative figures at the club? They’re no longer being charged which suggests they weren’t guilty of the charges they were originally facing?

And before someone turns around and says it may have been down to lack of evidence then that suggests the evidence to go after the club is also not strong enough or doesn’t exist?

Anyway I’m going to try and seek a soak in Jackie’s Jewish Bath and have a good old chuckle at Gibson going from Pulis to Woodgate to Warnock? 😂

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I think a more accurate summary of his time at the club would be an overall picture, the results, the financial situation, the selling of the ground, the EFL charges. 

That would be a more fair way to view his time here rather than just a couple of points

I agree pal but lets be clear also - if he had mired the club with hundreds of millions of debt (Glazers at Man Utd) then I would be singing a very different tune

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Yet Forest, QPR and Brum all got very differing penalties despite all breaking FFP. Only Brum were deducted points which was only 9 points. 

but our punishment would probably be worse because of putting our ground sale in the wrong years accounts? 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

One thing I hate more than anything else being a Sheffield Wednesday fan is when politics, finance and stuff the board/chairman does takes over.

Supporting football should be about supporting the players on the pitch, wanting them to score cracking goals, wanting to keep clean sheets with great tackles and saves.

Not all this nonsense about which club can lose the most money legally, transfer embargoes, selling our ground to ourselves, strange sponsorships 

Can't wait for it all to go back to just being about blue and white stripes and kicking a football

Football needs to hit the reset button and return to being a game for the supporters instead of the out of control greed and parasite  infested disgrace it has become. The governing bodies have no control of what's happening, the premier league rule the roost. 

Football shouldn't be played behind closed doors, yet here we are with the premier league bowing to their paymasters at Sky because of money. 

The game is fooked. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

FFP breach would have been 12 points I think without the ground sale 

So if that’s the case (I’ve no reason to doubt you) we would probably have been relegated without the sale.  It feels like we’re screwed one way or another, just a question of if we’ve managed to kick the can down the road a little by selling the ground.

47 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

People were saying that when Dave Allen was getting the black balloon treatment

We were told nobody would buy us

We were told nobody would put their money into us

It's just fearmongering and is never accurate or realistic

To be fair I don't remember anyone saying this, I was more surprised with our potential that no one actually did, there were a few false dawns back then but it was never totally dismissed.

Guest gizowl

Don't know what the outcome is going to be but I've just been given next seasons fixture list, we are away at Chesterfield on boxing day and the home fixture is Easter Saturday. Well that's something to look forward to :tango:

Just now, toppOwl said:

To be fair I don't remember anyone saying this

I do

Repeatedly

The black balloon campaign got crucified online by people saying that we should keep Dave because nobody else would come, nobody would buy us, nobody would put money in like Dave did etc etc

It was all over the place

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Football needs to hit the reset button and return to being a game for the supporters instead of the out of control greed and parasite  infested disgrace it has become. The governing bodies have no control of what's happening, the premier league rule the roost. 

Football shouldn't be played behind closed doors, yet here we are with the premier league bowing to their paymasters at Sky because of money. 

The game is fooked. 

100% agree, the "Big 6" in the Prem are the governing bodies only concern, everything else is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Love 1