Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

Very droll - however Sam is one of the best players at the club so given the context my comment stands

 

Sorry - I couldn't resist!

 

:duntmatter:

 

When fit, he's our best defensive midfielder, but...

 

a) he's not that good in the context of the Championship as a whole

b) you can't build a team around him, as he can't take part in all the training sessions with his teammates and you never know when he'll next break down 

c) Monk (and Luhukay's) decision not to play him may actually have more to do with his behaviour than his football - we simply don't know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm....so he bemoans coaches insisting that he trains, yet says he himself is dissatisfied if he doesn't and his depression spirals. I also recall interviews he's given in the past insisting he was in better shape physically and mentally than ever for being pushed to train. I remember him praising Stuart Gray at the time for allowing Sam to train as he saw fit because "no-one knows his body better than he does". I'm not so sure you do, Sam. Love your committed playing style on the pitch, but you're a walking talking contradiction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

Still our best defensive midfielder. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

 

It depends IMO on how good the player is. Hutchinson might not train every day but he’s miles better than Pelupessy who more than likely does? Another example of Monk being totally out of his depth.


Or maybe another example of what Monk has actually inherited 

 

People were fine when Bruce suggested that he would need at least 4 transfer windows to sort the squad out. That’s exactly how bad things are. Monk hasn’t even been afforded a preseason yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Miffed said:


Or maybe another example of what Monk has actually inherited 

 

People were fine when Bruce suggested that he would need at least 4 transfer windows to sort the squad out. That’s exactly how bad things are. Monk hasn’t even been afforded a preseason yet. 

 

Because Bruce has pedigree. All Monk has is a track record where things inevitably turn to sh!t as we’ve already seen here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

He's not gone yet Neil - I can be pedantic as well lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Personally I’m a big fan of Hutchinson. The type of player I like to see in the team, for me we look a better side when he’s playing. Very sad how things have turned out. SH and people like Westwood seem big personalities, some managers don’t like that and can’t handle that, they prefer weak minded players that don’t speak their mind. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Very droll - however Sam is one of the best players at the club so given the context my comment stands

 

I thought some dope would do that when I mentioned King & McGrath

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Personally I’m a big fan of Hutchinson. The type of player I like to see in the team, for me we look a better side when he’s playing. Very sad how things have turned out. SH and people like Westwood seem big personalities, some managers don’t like that and can’t handle that, they prefer weak minded players that don’t speak their mind. 


Or, purely playing devils advocate, there’s something else going on. Luhukay also dropped both players from the first team. 
 

Shame we may never find out what the actual problem is with Westwood / Hutch. 
 

For me this team needs tearing up and starting again because it would appear there is something fundamentally wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

The start of a new era, at last, of players who can play more than half a season.

(Put's tin hat on and heads for the shelter).

 

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

 

He'd made 23 appearances this season before Monk gave him the elbow.

 

 

And he appeared in 21/23 games last season after Jos departed.

 

2 hours ago, sMacLean said:

Having said that in footballing terms he has looked a yard off against most midfields the last couple of years and think that accounts for so many of his bookings for late challenges. The aggression and bite just covers for it.

 

18 yellow cards 0 reds in the last 3 seasons.

Compared to Barry Bannan's 29 yellows.

Edited by Tommy Crawshaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Monk just wants players to be at the training ground every day, maybe from a tactical or moral point of view, rather than being at home half the time. Perhaps it means that physical training can be tailored to the individual, and they dont all have to push as hard as Fletch apparently does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A policy of only playing players who train every session may or may not be a wise one. Laying it down as a principle seems pretty dumb.

 

If you have the quality and number of players elsewhere in the squad to make it work, perhaps ok.

 

If not - and we manifestly haven't - then it's not so clever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I thought some dope would do that when I mentioned King & McGrath

 

'some dope'?

 

812141459_DownVote1.gif.783b8a0d7a628f22e15c5d6d21ddf18c.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Should have been replaced a few seasons back 

Part of the players who never was good enough to get us promoted but club and some fans just couldn't let go

For the wages Sam gets we can get someone/two players who can offer much more and something our midfield lacks and thats goals 

That feels like it's been put on Google Translate from Welsh, but I must say I wouldn't mind a squad performing at 2015-16 and 16-17 levels.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My view on his footballing ability is that he would walk in to any team in the Championship.

 

However just to add to the contradiction issue.....I'm sure I read a quote from him somewhere saying that the new manager made him train everyday which was the right thing for him and that previous regime's molly codling him didn't do him any good!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Miffed said:


Or, purely playing devils advocate, there’s something else going on. Luhukay also dropped both players from the first team. 
 

Shame we may never find out what the actual problem is with Westwood / Hutch. 
 

For me this team needs tearing up and starting again because it would appear there is something fundamentally wrong. 


we need a strong manager to sort this club out on the pitch, someone like Bruce would have been perfect. Is Monk that man, I really don’t know. From an outside point of view I think Monk comes across as a stubborn manager that can rub people up the wrong way. I do believe he deserves the summer to rebuild and get his own staff in as well as players before he is fairly judged though. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

 


This is a bit contradictory to his other interview I saw today

 

In the Youtube video in the other thread he says that he had to train every day to fend off his depression, and that if he didn't train every single day without fail then the depression hit him hard.



 

New thread:

 

Contradiction in owlstalk shocker.

 

In other news...

 

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:


we need a strong manager to sort this club out on the pitch, someone like Bruce would have been perfect. Is Monk that man, I really don’t know. From an outside point of view I think Monk comes across as a stubborn manager that can rub people up the wrong way. I do believe he deserves the summer to rebuild and get his own staff in as well as players before he is fairly judged though. 

He generally looks like he's got the monk on which is pretty fitting really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...