Sam Hutchinson on 5 Live

Just listening to a discussion on depression in football on radio 5 and they played a brief interview with Sam Hutchinson. He mentioned that it was only football that made him depressed and that the only managers that knew how to understand his depression were Ancelotti and Carlos.  

He also mentioned that he had to take anti inflammatories every day because the new regime at Wednesday insisted on players training every day to play in the team. He went on to say the anti inflammatories increased his depression and that training every day was the wrong thing for his body. Also mentioned he probably shouldn’t be mentioning this as he was now looking for a new club.

Only a brief interview but quite enlightening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Just listening to a discussion on depression in football on radio 5 and they played a brief interview with Sam Hutchinson. He mentioned that it was only football that made him depressed and that the only managers that knew how to understand his depression were Ancelotti and Carlos.  

He also mentioned that he had to take anti inflammatories every day because the new regime at Wednesday insisted on players training every day to play in the team. He went on to say the anti inflammatories increased his depression and that training every day was the wrong thing for his body. Also mentioned he probably shouldn’t be mentioning this as he was now looking for a new club.

The start of a new era, at last, of players who can play more than half a season.

(Put's tin hat on and heads for the shelter).

2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

The start of a new era, at last, of players who can play more than half a season.

(Put's tin hat on and heads for the shelter).

He'd made 23 appearances this season before Monk gave him the elbow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

He also mentioned that he had to take anti inflammatories every day because the new regime at Wednesday insisted on players training every day to play in the team. He went on to say the anti inflammatories increased his depression and that training every day was the wrong thing for his body.

This is a bit contradictory to his other interview I saw today

In the Youtube video in the other thread he says that he had to train every day to fend off his depression, and that if he didn't train every single day without fail then the depression hit him hard.

Owlstalk Shop

Depression is a tough battle so definitely give him plaudits for fighting back against it and getting his career resumed.

Having said that in footballing terms he has looked a yard off against most midfields the last couple of years and think that accounts for so many of his bookings for late challenges. The aggression and bite just covers for it.

Championship level is too high for a combative midfielder who can't naturally train daily.

Still think he'd have been better abandoning midfield and being a CB. Far less strain and easier to manage as Ledley King found. Can see him being a great CB in League One for a few years.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

In the Youtube video in the other thread he says that he had to train every day to fend off his depression, and that if he didn't train every single day without fail then the depression hit him hard.

Really? Well that muddies the waters doesn't it? I can now go back to having absolutely no idea what his situation is again then. But if he's capable of giving two interviews in such a short space of time that appear to be so mutually exclusive, you have to wonder what is going on in his head.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I hope I’ve reported his interview accurately; it does seem a bit contradictory to the interview you heard.  With respect to the level of training I was under the impression that Sam couldn’t train full time due to his previous injuries and that understood and managed by the club for the time he’d been with us.  He said things had changed under the ‘new regime’. 

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Really? Well that muddies the waters doesn't it? I can now go back to having absolutely no idea what his situation is again then. But if he's capable of giving two interviews in such a short space of time that appear to be so mutually exclusive, you have to wonder what is going on in his head.

Ive not read or seen his other interview in full but I did watch the video in the other thread where I saw him say with his own lips that he had to train every single day without fail etc

Owlstalk Shop

33 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ive not read or seen his other interview in full but I did watch the video in the other thread where I saw him say with his own lips that he had to train every single day without fail etc

Maybe there's a difference between full on training like the rest of the team and the level of training his body can cope with.

9 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Surely training every day is what is required for first team players. If you can only train a couple of times a week then you arnt in condition to play in the team. 

Depends on the individual I guess. 

27 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Surely training every day is what is required for first team players. If you can only train a couple of times a week then you arnt in condition to play in the team. 

Different times but some good stories

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/five-footballers-that-played-without-being-able-to-train-king-woodgate-mcgrath/

• Thanks 1

The above stories are a bit contradictory.

He told me he loved training every day, his knees have always been fine, and the only time he suffered with depression was when he was dropped to the bench when he wanted to fight for promotion with Sheffield Wednesday.

He also said Jos Luhukay was a fruitcake, liar, and trouble causer.

😇😇😇