Sam Hutchinson on 5 Live

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He often would, yes. He did have a few resources to work with, though!

Again, I don't know the ins and outs of why Hutchinson has fallen out of favour, so I can't take it as evidence of Monk being 'out of his depth'.

I'm not saying this is the case in this instance, but sometimes an individual, no matter how talented, needs moving on for the long-term good of an organisation. I've seen it in my own workplace - the most naturally gifted, incredibly hard-working person I ever worked with ended up picking fights with every member of leadership and management, before training their sights on some of their younger up-and-coming colleagues. By the time they were ushered towards the door, they'd become a totally toxic presence who was dragging their team down with them.

Absolutely spot on. 

Unfortunately, organisations without strong HR can be held to ransom by such individuals. And whilst it is going on, team morale and output are effected. 

I’m not saying it’s the same in  sport, but managers who take on the big personalities can end up worse off.

I applaud those who stand up for what they believe in. McCarthy with Keane, Strauss with Petersen spring to mind. Hutchinson and Monk maybe totally different, it seems like they are only 2 people who know.  Has Monk got similar form at previous clubs ?

Depression Sam, you ought to try supporting Wednesday since getting beat at Wembley by Hull and believe me Sam that took a long time to recover from we have had to endure an endless depression of poor results and below par performances from very well paid players some of whom simply failed on the pitch or who produced long term sick notes.. 

Guest LondonOwl313
41 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Absolutely spot on. 

Unfortunately, organisations without strong HR can be held to ransom by such individuals. And whilst it is going on, team morale and output are effected. 

I’m not saying it’s the same in  sport, but managers who take on the big personalities can end up worse off.

I applaud those who stand up for what they believe in. McCarthy with Keane, Strauss with Petersen spring to mind. Hutchinson and Monk maybe totally different, it seems like they are only 2 people who know.  Has Monk got similar form at previous clubs ?

It is totally different in sport vs most organisations as the players are assets. In most organisations, a lot of individuals are easily replaceable so work ethic becomes an important determinant of overall performance. Some individuals (e.g. relationship managers) could get away with lower time input because the value add is there and the company needs them to bring in revenue. The workers might not like that but the reason it’s allowed to happen is because they’re difficult to replace. If they become replaceable they’re gone.

Its the same in football... certain players have more quality than others so allowances need to be made. If they no longer have more quality or there’s a better replacement they’re out. You can argue either way whether Hutchinson is at that point yet, but reality is he is/was a good player for us with more quality than his competition and that’s why allowances have/should be made.

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hutchinson has GONE

I wish people would understand that simple fact

Been too busy trying to stay alive to keep up with the football. 

Which 6 players have we got left to start next season with?

29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hutchinson has GONE

I wish people would understand that simple fact

I think they have. The issue is whether he should have gone or not. He's history but then so are Trevor Francis, Peter Atherton etc

lol

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Surely training every day is what is required for first team players. If you can only train a couple of times a week then you arnt in condition to play in the team. 

Some players have conditions that prevent this, Ledley King has been mentioned, Paul McGrath another top player. Individual training plans are needed at specific times and to manage specific issues effectively. 

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This is a bit contradictory to his other interview I saw today

In the Youtube video in the other thread he says that he had to train every day to fend off his depression, and that if he didn't train every single day without fail then the depression hit him hard.

Could well be the case that he needs to do some form of training every day when fit enough to do so in order to fend of the depression but not at the same intensity or regime as those that haven't got to manage career threatening knee injuries. Not necessarily a black and white issue.

6 minutes ago, Stoop said:

When he says he needs to train everyday, maybe he means train in the gym with weights etc, not actually football training 

Exactly.

2 very different cases here and by no means am I putting Sheffield Wednesday as the common denominator . However with Chris Kirkland's well documented mental health problems and Hutchinson , It isn’t exactly showing a great reputation for the club in player management and looking after players.

Edited by solo

1 minute ago, solo said:

2 very different cases here and by no means am I putting Sheffield Wednesday as the common denominator . However with Chris Kirkland's well documented mental health problems and Hutchinson , It isn’t exactly showing a great reputation for the club in player management and looking after players.

Kirkland has been on Radio a few times...and said Sheffield Wednesday were brilliant with him

• Like 1

6 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I hope I’ve reported his interview accurately; it does seem a bit contradictory to the interview you heard.  With respect to the level of training I was under the impression that Sam couldn’t train full time due to his previous injuries and that understood and managed by the club for the time he’d been with us.  He said things had changed under the ‘new regime’. 

I heard it and understood it the same as you did

Great interviews, but as others have said there are some contradictions in his story. Great footballer, love his attitude on the pitch, and his mental health journey is inspiring. But his career at S6 has gone a little sour and bizarre.  Sadly I don’t see a way back, and his career here will fizzle out on bad terms. 

Carlos gave free reign to quite a few in terms of training, Hutchinson has been fantastic at this football club overall but there comes a time when you have to move on and that time came for both Sam and the club