Sam Hutchinson on 5 Live

4 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Carlos gave free reign to quite a few in terms of training, Hutchinson has been fantastic at this football club overall but there comes a time when you have to move on and that time came for both Sam and the club 

Maybe so, certainly at the end of the season. However, once you have given a player a new contract and he has proved himself to be better than other available options this season then to bin him off with 20 games or so still to play is daft. We won the last time he played and have since won 1 of 10 games. Not saying he would have single handedly turned our results around but not to have the option has been frustrating.  

Turn your sound on/up and listen to this (it's different from the youtube clips)

He talks about the money in football, how many downs there are in football, his father having a heart attack last year, wanting to go back to football, and the Covid19 crisis

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

He's gone...

We know, you've said that, doesn't stop us discussing whether we think that was a wise move.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

We know, you've said that, doesn't stop us discussing whether we think that was a wise move.

We will never know what went on behind the scenes fully so would be unable to give a proper opinion on it

That's the tricky thing with non-football decisions or disciplinary decisions

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

We will never know what went on behind the scenes fully so would be unable to give a proper opinion on it

That's the tricky thing with non-football decisions or disciplinary decisions

Still doesn't stop us having an opinion on whether it was a good move. We were told he was removed for the good of the dressing room. 

The dressing room morale has hardly been high since this move was made. 

He has also put a point forward that he was seemingly expected to train at the same rate as everyone else which raises further debate.

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Turn your sound on/up and listen to this (it's different from the youtube clips)

He talks about the money in football, how many downs there are in football, his father having a heart attack last year, wanting to go back to football, and the Covid19 crisis

It comes from a much longer 40+ minutes interview which is fascinating. He doesn't talk about Wednesday that much, just more about his depression, how it makes him feel and what he does to get through it. 

He does say Paul Smith (physio) was brilliant with him at Wednesday and says that when he gets sent off a lot it's usually because he's in a bad place mentally. He also says that all football clubs should have professionals that players can speak to when they're struggling. 

Was great to see that he's in a good place at the moment with all that's going on. 

The same reaction when Hirst, Waddle and Sheridan's time came to an end at the club too.

It is always hard to replace a legend, but Hutchinson has had his time at the club, having said that, with out his injury problems he would have been a regular in the prem league instead of us.

You cannot build for the future while holding on to the past.

4 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

It comes from a much longer 40+ minutes interview which is fascinating. He doesn't talk about Wednesday that much, just more about his depression, how it makes him feel and what he does to get through it. 

He does say Paul Smith (physio) was brilliant with him at Wednesday and says that when he gets sent off a lot it's usually because he's in a bad place mentally. He also says that all football clubs should have professionals that players can speak to when they're struggling. 

Was great to see that he's in a good place at the moment with all that's going on. 

Suffering from Depression myself I can only offer support to any one who also suffers.

It is like being in a room full of all the people who love and like you, yet you feel so alone, the least thing can push you over the edge.

No one really knows how you feel, some times you put on a brave face, laugh, be funny and yet feel empty and lonely inside, the last thing you want to hear is some one say "snap out of it" " Pull your self together", it is the loneliest illness in the world.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Out of this current squad he would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Imo we look a better team with him in the side. We are such a weak team, we need people with his tenacity and leadership in the side. 

True but 3-5 years younger and fitter.

28 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ah I dunno mate - I'm not privy to that at all.

What do you know?

I am only going on what my eyes tell me. Do you think we now have a close knit squad?

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ah ok..

I thought you were speaking from a position of knowledge or summat

Just offering an opinion, same as you on Francis I suppose!

Happy squads don't tend to go from 3rd place halfway through the season to one of the worst records in the entire country over the next 20 or so games.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I hope I’ve reported his interview accurately; it does seem a bit contradictory to the interview you heard.  With respect to the level of training I was under the impression that Sam couldn’t train full time due to his previous injuries and that understood and managed by the club for the time he’d been with us.  He said things had changed under the ‘new regime’. 

He said in his RS interview on the same subject that getting back into football after stopping through injuries, had saved him. Bottom line is, if he loves the club for resurrecting his career as much as he claims then he should be breaking a ball to fit in. Has fallen out with two successive managers. Not really the antics of a senior pro. Thanks for the memories and good luck with your next club; that is, if any want to take the chance on him.

52 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Just offering an opinion, same as you on Francis I suppose!

Happy squads don't tend to go from 3rd place halfway through the season to one of the worst records in the entire country over the next 20 or so games.

probably not as no one likes being on a losing run ….atkinsons squad got relegated and i'm sure they wernt happy about it but that doesn't mean there was discord in the camp . 

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Out of this current squad he would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Imo we look a better team with him in the side. We are such a weak team, we need people with his tenacity and leadership in the side. 

Agreed, we’ve basically lacked either Hutch or Luongo or (both) in the middle of midfield since Christmas and I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

1 hour ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

He said in his RS interview on the same subject that getting back into football after stopping through injuries, had saved him. Bottom line is, if he loves the club for resurrecting his career as much as he claims then he should be breaking a ball to fit in. Has fallen out with two successive managers. Not really the antics of a senior pro. Thanks for the memories and good luck with your next club; that is, if any want to take the chance on him.

When did he fall out with Bruce or Bullen? 

You can see why he retired from football at a young age if his body couldn’t take daily training. He’d be a big risk for anyone to take on after that admission. You’d have to think the USA would be his best option to continue playing as the standard (although getting much better) is lower and less intense.

Having suffered from depression and anxiety for the past dozen years it’s still not nice to hear this it’s affecting him. Must be hard when all you’ve known as a kid is football.