BREAKING - EFL Statement

Guest Grandad

Guest Grandad

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 13.58.21.jpg

If play cannot resume season will end with tables reflecting a Points Per Game - leaving Championship as it is.

The EFL Board met yesterday to consider the feedback and subsequent implications of last week’s divisional Club meetings, as the League continues to address the many complex financial and operational matters resulting out of the COVID-19 crisis, including how the 2019/20 campaign is concluded.

The various proposals and counter proposals received from Clubs have been reviewed and, as a result, the Board has finalised the draft framework that would be adopted into EFL Regulations, in the event that a division is to make the decision to curtail its season as League Two indicated last Friday. 

Clubs are now required to give the matter further consideration, before the Board formally proposes the appropriate Regulation changes, which will then be voted on by all Clubs. 

The recommended framework is as follows: 

1. Resuming the 2019/20 season with the existing format remains the most appropriate course of action from a sporting integrity perspective, but the Board accepts there are circumstances that may lead to curtailment (as has been demonstrated with League Two) or a situation subsequently transpires whereby the season is unable to conclude.  

2. This means that, in the event of an early curtailment:  

a. Final divisional placings should be determined on unweighted points per game (if required).
b. Promotion and relegation should be retained. 
c. Play-Offs should be played in all circumstances but should not be extended (beyond four teams).  

3. If a scenario arises whereby the Play-Offs cannot be played, the EFL Board will determine the appropriate course of action.

4. The Board considers that the majority required to curtail the 2019/20 season in any division should be 51%. Determining whether or not to curtail the season is a decision for each division to take.  

5. The principle of relegation across all three divisions is integral to the integrity of the pyramid, from the Premier League down to the National League, provided we have assurances that the National League will start season 2020/21 (i.e. the relegated Club in League Two has somewhere to play). 

6. Any regulatory solution should be relevant and specific to the current challenges posed by the COVID-19 outbreak and reach a conclusion that is clear and effective with the impact and justifications easy for all stakeholders to understand. 

EFL Chair, Rick Parry, said: 

“In the event that a divisional decision is made to curtail the 2019/20 season, the EFL Board is recommending that the League adopts the original framework with the amendments as identified, as there is a strong desire to remain as faithful as possible to the Regulations and ensure there is consistency in the approach adopted across the EFL in all divisions. 

“The Board has always acknowledged that a single solution to satisfy all Clubs would always be hard to find, but we are at the point now where strong, definitive action is need for the good of the League and its members.”

Looks to me like there will be 6 clubs at the top voting to end the season 3 clubs at the bottom voting to continue. Those hoping for a play off place will vote to continue. Those near the bottom and in danger of the drop will vote to end the season now.

Clubs will vote with self interest. It could be a close call.

I still don't see how the season can continue.

3 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

It will be interesting to see how clubs vote. I was under the impression that most wanted a resumption of the league but it might just suit many financially and current league position wise to say sod it we vote cancel. 

That’s what I thought. I can’t see clubs in our league voting to end the season unfortunately. Maybe the top 2 but reckon that will be about it. 

5 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

It will be interesting to see how clubs vote. I was under the impression that most wanted a resumption of the league but it might just suit many financially and current league position wise to say sod it we vote cancel. 

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

Looks to me like there will be 6 clubs at the top voting to end the season 3 clubs at the bottom voting to continue. Those hoping for a play off place will vote to continue. Those near the bottom and in danger of the drop will vote to end the season now.

Clubs will vote with self interest. It could be a close call.

I still don't see how the season can continue.

So you'd have to think votes would look something like:

Leeds - End it

WBA - End it

Fulham - Play on

Brentford - End it

Forest - End it

Preston - End it

Bristol City - Play on

Millwall - Play on

Cardiff - Play on

Blackburn - Play on

Swansea - Play on

Derby - Play on

QPR - Play on

Reading - End it

Wednesday - End it

Birmingham - End it

Stoke - End it

Hudds - End it

Boro - End it

Wigan - End it

Hull - End it

Charlton - Play on

Luton - Play on

Barnsley - Play on

So by that count I have Play on = 11, End it = 13.

It's on a knife edge!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just not bothered...

Just now, mattitheowl said:

So you'd have to think votes would look something like:

Leeds - End it

WBA - End it

Fulham - Play on

Brentford - End it

Forest - End it

Preston - End it

Bristol City - Play on

Millwall - Play on

Cardiff - Play on

Blackburn - Play on

Swansea - Play on

Derby - Play on

QPR - Play on

Reading - End it

Wednesday - End it

Birmingham - End it

Stoke - End it

Hudds - End it

Boro - End it

Wigan - End it

Hull - End it

Charlton - Play on

Luton - Play on

Barnsley - Play on

So by that count I have Play on = 11, End it = 13.

It's on a knife edge!

I came to exactly the same result

Not so much what was said but more what was omitted. Grandads post yesterday referred to several clubs considering a path of litigation with Derby and A.N. Other joining them a very real possibility from a differing perspective. 

'Clubs are now required to give the matter further consideration, before the Board formally proposes the appropriate Regulation changes, which will then be voted on by all Clubs.'  

Not critical of chairmen here in anyway but they are being asked cast their single  vote on behalf of half a million fans who have feelings for their clubs and communities. This can not be right ! 

The thing we don't know beyond the "sporting" bit is the financials.  What would clubs lose by not playing out the season and what would it cost them to carry on.  There will be some doing that maths too.  For instance if it costs £2m to finish the season but they get to keep all the sponsor and TV money then it might be worth it.  We don't know those figures.  There's also the contract scenarios to take in to account that throw another spanner in to the works.

I find it hard to see how any Championship team can afford to finish the season!

Just not bothered...

Just now, SouthStand75 said:

We need to continue as if we end on ppg  and get fined then we are down.

Or we continue, the case gets heard, we get a deduction and we go down.

Or we continue, lose 9 players and the manager at the end of June and go down.

Or we continue, keep being sh*t and go down.

Just not bothered...

Just now, modboy said:

100% this

Dunno,  if we get points deduction we’ll probably be down regardless , I don’t see how they get a conclusion before end of this season anyway 

Surely we would need to know if they are going to deduct points this season before we vote. Under this system anymore than 9 and we would be down. 
it would be so Wednesday to vote end it and the next day the EFL dock us 10 points!

How we vote will probably depend on how confident we are of winning the disciplinary case with the EFL.

If we're not confident & feel that a points deduction of more than 9 points is inevitable then we have no option but to vote to carry on & hope we get some points on the table to keep us out of the bottom 3.  If we're confident or think a points deduction will be no more than 9 points then ending the season now would be best for us.