BREAKING - EFL Statement

Guest Grandad

4 hours ago, Owling with laughter said:

What happened to ending it now because some things are more important than money and self interest? 
You know like players and staff health etc.

Just asking because of the vast majority of posts on here slating the Premier League for trying to play on because of “money and self interest”

Seems morality goes out the window when it suits.

Morality left football about 28 years ago. Or sooner.

Whilstever money is involved, peoples welfare won’t necessarily come first.

Try watching The English Game on Netflix. The warning signs were there.

Just void the season, and wipe it from the records and start a fresh in August with all teams in the same division in which  they started this season. Its not rocket science. It would stop all threats of court cases because no team would lose out. 

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, bladeshater said:

If I wasn't sure I wouldn't have posted it

Ah. Didn't realise it was you

Did you see the EFL rules posted?

1 hour ago, Mishowl said:

Who cares what the press say? Why should any club accept relegation, the loss of income and almost certainly having to make staff redundant because other clubs voted for it?

I don’t think you would be saying that if Wednesday were in the bottom three.

Negative press = public pressure = lower stock. So clearly people do care what the press say, some might argue they manipulate everything but that's something for another day. 

Actually, I would say the same if we were bottom 3 and we might be if we do get this points deduction. God forbid. 

Null and void is a poor teams excuse for a get out of jail free card or borne out of lack of sportsmanship. 

If we get relegated by this method the blame lies squarely on our squad, our chairman's decisions and poor fortune.

The framework the EFL have laid out solves the current problem and potential problems in years to come. It doesn't descriminate, those affected are where they are based on sporting merit. You can chose to moan about it or look at it objectively. 

13 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Just void the season, and wipe it from the records and start a fresh in August with all teams in the same division in which  they started this season. Its not rocket science. It would stop all threats of court cases because no team would lose out

Not often you or I disagree S36 Owl but how can you honestly argue that no team would lose out? 

Losers would win and winners would lose. Its the wrong way round. 

6 hours ago, Ian said:

would you rather escape the bottom 3 next season and be in the championship for the season after or start next season in L1, wee wee it and be in the championship for the year after?

Ah yes, its always as simple as saying we will walk it in League 1 at the first attempt isn't it. I wish I could blank out 2003-04 and 2010-11.

3 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

I'm not having a go but you're talking about discussions that are weeks old. The EFL, EPL and FA have ruled out voiding completely, there is no appetite for it at all.

I think we are all aware that there's a strong possibility games will not be able to take place behind closed doors hence why the EFL, in consultation with the FA and EPL have had the diplomatic discussions with clubs and made their decision and statement today.

It will gain 51% plus in all leagues if it came down to it, including the Premier league if their last resort. 

You are right, from what I have seen and heard there is no appetite within the game to void the season.

As has been said previously though, PPG now without any weighting is also unfair. As fans we are all aware of how automatic promotion, play off places and relegation places can change in the last few games, never mind the 9,10,11 games that are remaining for teams in the EFL. Charlton have spent very little time in the bottom 3 and are due to play free falling Hull next.

What is the rush to bring the season to an end when next season wont start on time or have fans in the ground and could well be curtailed by a predicted 2nd wave of the virus in the winter?

Guest Grandad

Often rumoured is that October will be the time fans are allowed back in stadiums

Place this season on hold until fans are allowed in

Complete the 9 games before Christmas, including the full FA Cup programme

Start the next season in March 2021, meaning no games over the toughest winter months

Play on through the summer, conclude the season in November 2021... 

Then do the same the following season, meaning the football season will finish just in time for Qatar World Cup, our players will all be match fit too.

After the World Cup start again in March, and let football become a sport played March to November permanently

We don't have to freeze our nuts off any more then

Go on. Admit it. It's a genius idea

15 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Often rumoured is that October will be the time fans are allowed back in stadiums

Start the next season in March 2021, meaning no games over the toughest winter months

Then do the same the following season, meaning the football season will finish just in time for Qatar World Cup, our players will all be match fit too.

After the World Cup start again in March, and let football become a sport played March to November permanently

I've seen a lot worse in the last few weeks!

Guest Grandad
Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

I've seen a lot worse in the last few weeks!

If you and me can agree - it's GOT to be a good idea mate

:biggrin:

20 minutes ago, Grandad said:

What about Champions League etc

...... I'm thinking ahead here for when we qualify.

• Haha 1

Guest Grandad
5 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

What about Champions League etc

...... I'm thinking ahead here for when we qualify.

Only 1 Champs League fixture in early December then nothing till end Feb

So players still get 10 weeks off

IT WORKS. IT'S GENIUS

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Only 1 Champs League fixture in early December then nothing till end Feb

So players still get 10 weeks off

IT WORKS. IT'S GENIUS

Get your application in for UEFA.

........ tell them you don't have stick fingers, and you're in.

Refuse any reference offers from Blatter or Platini. 

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Just void the season, and wipe it from the records and start a fresh in August with all teams in the same division in which  they started this season. Its not rocket science. It would stop all threats of court cases because no team would lose out. 

Tell Leeds and Coventry that. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You are right, from what I have seen and heard there is no appetite within the game to void the season.

As has been said previously though, PPG now without any weighting is also unfair. As fans we are all aware of how automatic promotion, play off places and relegation places can change in the last few games, never mind the 9,10,11 games that are remaining for teams in the EFL. Charlton have spent very little time in the bottom 3 and are due to play free falling Hull next.

What is the rush to bring the season to an end when next season wont start on time or have fans in the ground and could well be curtailed by a predicted 2nd wave of the virus in the winter?

I think you and I discussed this on another thread without closure. 

To set my position straight when this first broke out in Feb/Mar I said that a global football approach was needed if the worst happened and there would be nothing wrong as such with a break worldwide. In fact that was my preference. 

Since then, almost certainly for differing financial reasons, many leagues and countries have acted independently with little to no collective steer from the games governing bodies.

I remember you asking why we need to remain aligned with Europe. For starters UEFA have asked all domestic leagues to confirm plans for this season by 25th May so that is one source of pressure.

You could argue that's its only the top leagues that needs to be aligned with Europe because that's where most teams come from for European Club competitions and where most international players come from for international tournaments. Our lower leagues therefore need to fit in with that because all our scheduling works around those things and each season relegation and promotions in all leagues affect the premier league and lower leagues below it.

Its a right mess don't get me wrong

I understand that there are many ifs buts and maybes as to how the leagues might have finished but we can't do that. So what's the next best thing? Reward teams that have done well, not those who haven't. PPG is as close as we can get to doing that without playing games.

If you're Charlton do you think the whole world's against us or this could happen to anyone? It would hurt but it could have been anyone. They are there for a reason, because to date, they've been the 3rd worst performing team in the league. I'm much more comfortable relegating teams in this way than denying teams their glory. 

Personally, I'd have liked to see promotions only across the leagues too so teams at the top and bottom win. But it's clear the league are putting a solution together that they can reuse in future years if needed and won't mean they have to be overly creative with things like 6 teams relegated from each league in following seasons. They want this to be the only irregular season. Rightly or wrongly.

Finally, ending the season might mean that bit of extra funding in prize money for clubs that are desperate for it, particularly in the lower leagues. It will prevent the need for clubs to extend contracts just to keep the season going and prevent costs of hosting matches behind closed doors, all making clubs more likely to be able to survive in hibernation until a point a season is started under the new normal.