BREAKING - EFL Statement

Guest Grandad

19 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

All this means nothing to us until we find out what’s happening with the points deduction. Whatever the result of that I want that resolved before next season starts. I’d genuinely rather be in league one than start next season with a 12 point hit. It’d be soul destroying. 

If we go down we'll be the next Bolton.  Chansiri doesn't want to be throwing more money at a team even further away from the premier league.  The taps would be turned off and we'd be cast adrift.  It would be like last time but 10x worse!

• Haha 2

Just not bothered...

There is a question of timing here, there won’t be a decision on any punishment till at least first week in July and by then all votes and will be in and assuming over 51% vote to end season the EFL will have already calculated the season’s “new” table and consequently we will be safe from relegation and even if the decision is brought forward or the new table hasn’t been constructed by then if we get docked enough points to relegate us we are within our rights to launch an appeal, which no doubt take another few months to be heard. However crunch time will come if we then lose that appeal 

Think then more likely to start next season with points deduction

Charlton have only been in the bottom 3 for one week all season and they’d be relegated under these plans. And they were scheduled to play Hull in their next game who are only 2 points ahead of them.

Any estimates of much Wednesday would lose in season ticket refunds and TV revenue if the season is finished?

1 hour ago, prowl said:

Looks to me like there will be 6 clubs at the top voting to end the season 3 clubs at the bottom voting to continue. Those hoping for a play off place will vote to continue. Those near the bottom and in danger of the drop will vote to end the season now.

Clubs will vote with self interest. It could be a close call.

I still don't see how the season can continue.

About sums it up, of course clubs will looking after their own interests.  I wouldn't realistically expect anything else.

The season won't finish in full.

The choice is finish now, or limp through another three or four games until things become untenable.

So possible a few votes will depend a little on what the next few games are for a club.

The 11 - 13 estimates above look sensible but I think possibly overweight the yes votes. Derby for example are realistically too far away, especially if points are deducted.

43 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I’m the opposite. If we get a deduction I would rather it be next season, as long as it’s not 21 points plus. At least that way with a new squad etc it will give us a fighting chance of getting out the bottom 3. 

would you rather escape the bottom 3 next season and be in the championship for the season after or start next season in L1, wee wee it and be in the championship for the year after?

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I’m still expecting legal action from some clubs. It’s inevitable. As I’ve said before a match doesn’t get completed then it gets re-played at a later date. Should be the same for a season. In this case it just becomes next season. PPG is just like D&L in cricket and that gets lambasted by some.

Unweighted PPG is the exact opposite of DLS in cricket.

I'd be more in favour of some sort of weighted DLS table than an unweighted one

Hi guys, Newcastle fan here from the Ashley thread.

I thought I’d let you know that the rules state that any points deducted after March would be applied to the following season. I think when Birmingham were deducted points a few years ago they moved to clarify the situation. Some fans thought a points deduction late in a season for clubs who had nothing to play for wasn’t a punishment and allowed them to get away with whatever they did.

In saying this I think with the situation as it is at the minute, the league are quite a while away from making a decision about deducting points from anyone.

On top of that, I’m not convinced they will deduct you points.

The EFL are about to face a few clubs going to the wall which will damage their product, they aren’t about to make it harder for the clubs who do survive by handing out points deductions on FFP matters when they are likely going to have to relax FFP and financing rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Spot on - null and void it across the piece stops whingeing and legal actions if all leagues in the EFL and the PL get a majority to do this

You don't think there will be legal action from Leeds and West Brom if it is null and void?

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

You don't think there will be legal action from Leeds and West Brom if it is null and void?

The PL has to agree to promotion and relegation first - if they don’t well no one is going anywhere no matter what the EFL says. The easiest way and I think the one most clubs would accept is the voiding is the season and start afresh next 

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Or we continue, the case gets heard, we get a deduction and we go down.

Or we continue, lose 9 players and the manager at the end of June and go down.

Or we continue, keep being sh*t and go down.

39 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

If we go down we'll be the next Bolton.  Chansiri doesn't want to be throwing more money at a team even further away from the premier league.  The taps would be turned off and we'd be cast adrift.  It would be like last time but 10x worse!

I bet you're reyt popular at parties lol 

10 minutes ago, Ian said:

Unweighted PPG is the exact opposite of DLS in cricket.

I'd be more in favour of some sort of weighted DLS table than an unweighted one

TBH I’m not really sure how either work. I’ve seen how some tables would look after PPG and there isn’t much difference in how they look now. All it seems to do is account for the game in hand some teams may have?

13 minutes ago, Ian said:

would you rather escape the bottom 3 next season and be in the championship for the season after or start next season in L1, wee wee it and be in the championship for the year after?

Yeah I remember talk of P*ssing the league the last 2 times were relegated to it...

10 minutes ago, bigchrisfgb said:

Hi guys, Newcastle fan here from the Ashley thread.

I thought I’d let you know that the rules state that any points deducted after March would be applied to the following season. I think when Birmingham were deducted points a few years ago they moved to clarify the situation. Some fans thought a points deduction late in a season for clubs who had nothing to play for wasn’t a punishment and allowed them to get away with whatever they did.

In saying this I think with the situation as it is at the minute, the league are quite a while away from making a decision about deducting points from anyone.

On top of that, I’m not convinced they will deduct you points.

The EFL are about to face a few clubs going to the wall which will damage their product, they aren’t about to make it harder for the clubs who do survive by handing out points deductions on FFP matters when they are likely going to have to relax FFP and financing rules.

I think those rules only apply to the admin points deductions.  EFL will push for deduction this season so as to avoid legal action from the relegated clubs.

• Haha 1

Just not bothered...

8 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

The season won't finish in full.

The choice is finish now, or limp through another three or four games until things become untenable.

So possible a few votes will depend a little on what the next few games are for a club.

The 11 - 13 estimates above look sensible but I think possibly overweight the yes votes. Derby for example are realistically too far away, especially if points are deducted.

When do you envisage the situation being tenable so that next season can restart? And there’s likely to be another spike next winter so what happens then?

For me, they should restart. Can understand players who don’t want to play or train, respect their decision and it’s up to the clubs what they do with their contracts but the players who want to play should be allowed to 

Imagine the scenario - the clubs vote to end the season, the 3 at the bottom would be livid and get together to appeal.. Then a few days later we are deducted enough points to put is in the bottom 3. DC screams FOUL, CONSPIRACY, and employs lawyers to take the EFL to court - and I think he would.  Assuming next season kicked off at the usual time, we would then have a situation of clubs not even knowing which division they were in next season with all the ramifications of contracts, new players etc etc. I’m not sure the EFL would want us to contend with as well. After all, imagine if we won an appeal in a court of law. That out trumps the EFL.

1 minute ago, pat blondeau said:

When do you envisage the situation being tenable so that next season can restart? And there’s likely to be another spike next winter so what happens then?

For me, they should restart. Can understand players who don’t want to play or train, respect their decision and it’s up to the clubs what they do with their contracts but the players who want to play should be allowed to 

I bet there will be plenty of players on long term contracts who have some really niggling groin strains over the coming months.

Just not bothered...