Latest Plans on Finishing The Season

16 minutes ago, scram said:

The govt are absolutely pushing for it

100%

Don't think they are, in fact the opposite.

They say go to work if you absolutely must and cannot work from home...but talk with your employers first.

In other words, fine but don't come blaming us when the lawyers start flinging the shyte

6 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Don't think they are, in fact the opposite.

They say go to work if you absolutely must and cannot work from home...but talk with your employers first.

In other words, fine but don't come blaming us when the lawyers start flinging the shyte

Govt. have been remarkably cute with this

Giving the green light whilst inserting caveats that absolve blame

Reading the Guardian article highlights the sheer absurdness of playing competitive games whilst trying to meet the requirements needed to compete safely

Guest Mcguigan
8 hours ago, scram said:

Fantastic get-out for any player who wants to become a free agent

And why PL  owners will accept players refusing to play

Why? It doesn't say he'll have his contract terminated. It say's he'll be docked his pay.

9 minutes ago, happy bunny said:

Govt. have been remarkably cute with this

Giving the green light whilst inserting caveats that absolve blame

Reading the Guardian article highlights the sheer absurdness of playing competitive games whilst trying to meet the requirements needed to compete safely

Local tennis club opens tomorrow.

You can play with one person, but each player has to take their own balls, clearly marked, and must return the ball to the server without touching the ball with their hand.

Players are to keep 2m apart.

A one-way system is in place, with passing places at pinch-points.

Somehow, footballers are going to grapple, tackle, push, pull, sweat, head, throw, form a wall, be treated by a physio, supported whilst helped off the pitch etc etc etc...

Crackers

8 hours ago, scram said:

Football has become a disgrace to itself

At all levels

Spent my spare time in Lockdown watching old World Cups, and I know I'm not the only one..For me that means '78, '82 and my favourite 1986.

Obviously FIFA was bent then, but I was a 9 - 17 year old Football and SWFC fanatic who could see nothing wrong in football , so these tournaments evoke amazing memories.

The last two tournaments have seen some great football as well, well worth another look.

My conclusion is basically I don't miss modern football at all, and don't care if or when the season starts. The Premier League is a disgrace,  and whilst I want SWFC to do well, I don't want us involved in it. 

Makes me a terrible fan I know, but that's the way I feel. 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

No doubt sky, BT, foreign sport channels will also be holding the leagues to ransom. Unfortunately I think football will restart again soon. I really wish it wouldn’t though. 

I just think we have to be a bit careful with condemnation. Some clubs' finances are in a terrible state. This could kill them off. Would you say just wait a year or two for a vaccination if that meant Wednesday went to the wall? 

It's all a bit too quick for me but the priority does have to be to try and find a way to play games safely - and if that means behind closed doors so be it for a while. As awful as that may be if it's the difference between clubs surviving and not then it'll have to be.

The Bundesliga doesn't seem to be as avaricious as our leagues but that's the approach they've decided/had to take.  It could all crash and burn of course - as least they're a good guinea pig for us to observe.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I think if the season can't be finished safely, which is unlikely, this  season should be scrapped. Forget about it, no promotion or relegation, go again and start next season later in the year.

The only clubs affected by this would be the ones currently in the automatic promotion places i.e. West Brom, Leeds, the 2 in League 1 and 3 in League 2.

Yes it would be hard on them but they're not guaranteed promotion.

I agree with you

i do not want a promotion handed to me - we’ve achieved nothing yet.

and we have games against Fulham and Brentford to come.  Points and places are up for grabs.

i remember a scenario where Wolves were 11 points clear of us with 9 games to play and we over turned the deficit & beat them to promotion.

likewise our great escape season, bottom since before Christmas but surviving on the final day.. 

there is no given in sport. Nothing has been won.

PPG is reasonable but it’s messy. It obviously is not safe to return and clubs are severely going to struggle without a match day income.

stop the bleed in’ circus and void the lot of it.

were making the game look absolutely pathetic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Throughout the entire pandemic the most important instruction from the Government to the population has been to maintain at least two metres distance from each other.

Football is NOT a no contact sport. 

If the players ignore that instruction, then they are breach of H&S Instructions.

If they observe the instruction, then the game becomes a no-contact sport, which is not what the supporters expect, and renders any promotion and relegation  decisions reached in that manner, absolutely fraudulent.

Any attempts to restart playing while under current circumstances is surely a nonsense.

13 minutes ago, dumboldowl said:

Throughout the entire pandemic the most important instruction from the Government to the population has been to maintain at least two metres distance from each other.

Football is NOT a no contact sport. 

If the players ignore that instruction, then they are breach of H&S Instructions.

If they observe the instruction, then the game becomes a no-contact sport, which is not what the supporters expect, and renders any promotion and relegation  decisions reached in that manner, absolutely fraudulent.

Any attempts to restart playing while under current circumstances is surely a nonsense.

When it comes to the workplace the instructions is "wherever possible" and if not possible try not to be face to face and if it is face to face it shouldn't be for more than 15 minutes at a time.  So it's vaguer than don't do it. 

28 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

I agree with you

i do not want a promotion handed to me - we’ve achieved nothing yet.

and we have games against Fulham and Brentford to come.  Points and places are up for grabs.

i remember a scenario where Wolves were 11 points clear of us with 9 games to play and we over turned the deficit & beat them to promotion.

likewise our great escape season, bottom since before Christmas but surviving on the final day.. 

there is no given in sport. Nothing has been won.

PPG is reasonable but it’s messy. It obviously is not safe to return and clubs are severely going to struggle without a match day income.

stop the bleed in’ circus and void the lot of it.

were making the game look absolutely pathetic. 

Yes it would be tough for yourselves and Leeds if there wasn't promotion after a good season. Though you've only got to look at what happened to Leeds at the end of last season to know nothing is certain.

I don't think average PPG or deciding it on current positions will fly as there will be too many teams that will be miffed and won't agree.

At least you'll get another £15.5.M in parachute payments if still in the championship next season to soften the blow 🙂. Along with Swansea and Stoke. Fulham, Cardiff and Huddersfield will pick up £35M each in PP's, so hardly a disaster for them.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

At least you'll get another £15.5.M in parachute payments if still in the championship next season to soften the blow 🙂. Along with Swansea and Stoke. Fulham, Cardiff and Huddersfield will pick up £35M each in PP's, so hardly a disaster for them.

Of course that's assuming the EPL can afford to pay out

Bet the key workers who've put themselves in harms way over the last 7 weeks and still struggling to get a test, will be delighted to hear this.

Certainly boosted my morale to know that 22 players can have a kick about in an empty stadium. Don't worry lads, my daughter will still be doing double shifts in a care home and waiting in line while your 'essential work' resumes.

Premier League players set for testing at training

Wolverhampton Wanderers have become the first English Premier League club to install a drive-through Covid-19 testing station at their training ground for players and staff.

It is understood Wolves players are yet to use the procedure. Backroom staff have been tested in a process the Premier League hopes will become the template for other clubs across the English top-flight.

The testing takes place in the car park of the training ground and takes less than a minute.

The Premier League is hoping to restart the football season on 12 June. Some clubs have allowed players to train individually, although they are not yet allowed to take part in group sessions.

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Bet the key workers who've put themselves in harms way over the last 7 weeks and still struggling to get a test, will be delighted to hear this.

Certainly boosted my morale to know that 22 players can have a kick about in an empty stadium. Don't worry lads, my daughter will still be doing double shifts in a care home and waiting in line while your 'essential work' resumes.

Premier League players set for testing at training

Wolverhampton Wanderers have become the first English Premier League club to install a drive-through Covid-19 testing station at their training ground for players and staff.

It is understood Wolves players are yet to use the procedure. Backroom staff have been tested in a process the Premier League hopes will become the template for other clubs across the English top-flight.

The testing takes place in the car park of the training ground and takes less than a minute.

The Premier League is hoping to restart the football season on 12 June. Some clubs have allowed players to train individually, although they are not yet allowed to take part in group sessions.

Where do they get these tests from; it takes 1 minute to test or to receive the result? 

Who is processing the testing? Do they get priority?