Latest Plans on Finishing The Season

1 hour ago, shez owl said:

I’m must be missing something, If there’s a 2m social distance rule in place in all workplaces on 1st June why is football different? In Employment law not sure how this will play out.

I can see why footballers see themselves as guinea pigs.

This ^ 100%....

Use the PPG method in all leagues including the PL and have top 2 teams promoted with no relegations. Then relegate more teams in the next PL season.  Tv broadcasters need to help by not charging for failure to fulfil games, I’m sure they can cope with the losses for one year.  

And the PL and EFL need to club together to give EVERY team that’s not promoted a handout as a compensation for the situation. 

Seems the best solution now in my opinion

28 minutes ago, the third man said:

so the players can either volunteer to put themselves at risk, as most the key workers have been doing, or just refuse  to play

Yeah there lies the problem..will key workers sue if they become infected. If their employers have taken ' reasonable precautions' will no doubt be the deciding factor.

I really can't see how this would pan out, it is none essential work playing football.

A prem league chairman has said, players will not be paid if they refuse to play...he's skating on very thin ice imho..

27 minutes ago, the third man said:

There may also be a problem for the clubs with fans turning up for games, don't know if they will have a duty of care to them, as they are there because of the clubs actions, might cause another problem

They will have no duty of care for fans turning up when they are told not to.

They will be dealt with by the police, fines increased to £1000 i think the government said.

10 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Use the PPG method in all leagues including the PL and have top 2 teams promoted with no relegations. Then relegate more teams in the next PL season.  Tv broadcasters need to help by not charging for failure to fulfil games, I’m sure they can cope with the losses for one year.  

And the PL and EFL need to club together to give EVERY team that’s not promoted a handout as a compensation for the situation. 

Seems the best solution now in my opinion

In League 1 there is 3 points between 2nd and 8th. Some teams will have made moves in January to push on and try and make top 2. Some have more home games than away left, some will have played many of the top teams already and have what they feel are favourable fixtures left. With 20% of the season left PPG is not fair 

9 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Yeah there lies the problem..will key workers sue if they become infected. If their employers have taken ' reasonable precautions' will no doubt be the deciding factor.

I really can't see how this would pan out, it is none essential work playing football.

A prem league chairman has said, players will not be paid if they refuse to play...he's skating on very thin ice imho..

No as I have said they are basically volunteering to put themselves at risk, so they have no comeback, footballers will be in the same position if they agree to play

7 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

They will have no duty of care for fans turning up when they are told not to.

They will be dealt with by the police, fines increased to £1000 i think the government said.

Not sure, the people wouldn't have turned up if the game wasn't on, its not as strong a case because they know the risks, but could still have a case, don't know if vicarious liability comes into this

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In League 1 there is 3 points between 2nd and 8th. Some teams will have made moves in January to push on and try and make top 2. Some have more home games than away left, some will have played many of the top teams already and have what they feel are favourable fixtures left. With 20% of the season left PPG is not fair 

When the season finishes there may be 3 points between 2nd and 8th, it happens.  This season is 80% completed and the teams in the top two deserve to be there. Hence I think the PL and EFL should compensate those in 3rd downwards with money to help cope with missing out on promotion.  If you give Peterborough 100% chance of getting a (smaller) but decent compensation sum, or give them a 20% of finishing in the playoffs AND then going up via the lottery of the playoffs. I wonder which they would take now.

Edited by Owls-Fan

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

When the season finishes there may be 3 points between 2nd and 8th, it happens.  This season is 80% completed and the teams in the top two deserve to be there. Hence I think the PL and EFL should compensate those in 3rd downwards with money to help cope with missing out on promotion.  If you give Peterborough 100% chance of getting a (smaller) but decent compensation sum, or give them a 20% of finishing in the playoffs AND then going up via the lottery of the playoffs. I wonder which they would take now.

But that's the point, the season is finished as everyone has played each other twice. The teams in the top 2 deserve to be there after 80% of the season but that is no guarantee they would be there after 100%, positions often change near the end of the season as pressure impacts some more than others.

What you suggest is a financial solution that is not fulfilling the competition. I don't think all clubs currently within 3 points of an automatic promotion place would take a little financial recompense.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But that's the point, the season is finished as everyone has played each other twice. The teams in the top 2 deserve to be there after 80% of the season but that is no guarantee they would be there after 100%, positions often change near the end of the season as pressure impacts some more than others.

What you suggest is a financial solution that is not fulfilling the competition. I don't think all clubs currently within 3 points of an automatic promotion place would take a little financial recompense.

This season can’t be completed for league 1 and 2. 

So what’s better, voiding the league and everyone starting in the same place they were in August. Or, promoting 2 teams and giving compensation to those who miss out. 

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

This season can’t be completed for league 1 and 2. 

So what’s better, voiding the league and everyone starting in the same place they were in August. Or, promoting 2 teams and giving compensation to those who miss out. 

The EFL should take the same approach across their competitions for integrity. 

Who deems what compensation is appropriate and who should get it? 

Why can't they finish the season as and when they are eventually able to return? It looks highly unlikely they will be in a position to start the lower leagues in August or any time this year as they are much more reliant on paying fans to fund their players. as it stands they need to complete around 10 games per team, not sure when they envisage being in a position to start a 46 game season and if they do so too soon they could find themselves in a similar position again.

1 hour ago, the third man said:

No as I have said they are basically volunteering to put themselves at risk, so they have no comeback, footballers will be in the same position if they agree to play

Don't agree...mainly because I have personal experience.

Unless of course they signed a disclaimer...not likely though

4 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Fantastic get-out for any player who wants to become a free agent

And why PL  owners will accept players refusing to play

21 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

The season should be ended now and nullified. Yes its tough on some clubs but we've never seen anything like this before. No doubt money will talk though over lifes. 

Not sure its government pushing for it.more like premier league putting pressure on them.

The govt are absolutely pushing for it

100%

The PL are now cascading responsibility to the individual clubs - and some clubs are kicking back against that

1 minute ago, scram said:

The govt are absolutely pushing for it

100%

The PL are now cascading responsibility to the individual clubs - and some clubs are kicking back against that

Now openly considering not finishing the season according to The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/11/premier-league-and-other-sports-in-england-get-june-green-light-to-resume

• Like 1