Latest Plans on Finishing The Season

Well it cant start until June 1st at the earliest

add a week for a quick pre season

that means the PL will have to play nine matches in three weeks, the championship 9 matches in two weeks then the play offs

if at the end of the first batch of matches a PL player tests positive that could be 50% of the league isolating for two weeks

and with people having to isolate for two weeks when they come into the country any players who are abroad have a week to get a flight into the country, great excuse though if they don't want to play

12 minutes ago, the third man said:

that means the PL will have to play nine matches in three weeks, the championship 9 matches in two weeks then the play offs

if at the end of the first batch of matches a PL player tests positive that could be 50% of the league isolating for two weeks

and with people having to isolate for two weeks when they come into the country any players who are abroad have a week to get a flight into the country, great excuse though if they don't want to play

That's a best case scenario too. 

It will be carnage next week, watch the numbers rise again and those best dates slip as restrictions tightened.

3 hours ago, the third man said:

i agree, but if a players tests positive a few days after a game then everyone who was in the stadium during the last game will have to self isolate for 14 days

So that's no football for two teams for 14 days, so that will stop the season being completed before the 30th June unless two teams play the kids for two weeks

Those aren’t the rules. If your colleague has symptoms you don’t have to self isolate unless you also develop symptoms. 

1 hour ago, the third man said:

The EPL just wants to get just two games out of the way

Normality will then be restored

Why do they only have 3 weeks (2 weeks in Champ)? The latest talk was end of July is the cut off point. Players out of contract at the end June still receive severance pay for July so likely to play.

BTW - Personally I don’t think they should be looking at restarting

Guest LondonOwl313
32 minutes ago, jamese said:

Why do they only have 3 weeks (2 weeks in Champ)? The latest talk was end of July is the cut off point. Players out of contract at the end June still receive severance pay for July so likely to play.

Don’t contracts just end at the end of June? If the last payment is on 30th june isn’t that just a payment in arrears rather than in advance. Otherwise it wouldn’t make sense because usually players train for their new club after 1st July.. that would mean that they’re being paid by their old clubs to train for their new clubs.. so the line of argument doesn’t make sense

2 hours ago, the third man said:

And that's where the legal battles begin, why should Barnsley accept relegation if they haven't finished the season when they can still stay up?

Thats why they just need to scrub the season in my view.

1 hour ago, jamese said:

Contracts finish on the 30th June, whether they get paid after that date is irrelevant, they do not need to play after that date

1 hour ago, kobayashi said:

Those aren’t the rules. If your colleague has symptoms you don’t have to self isolate unless you also develop symptoms. 

In the care industry if you have contact with anyone who is positive you have to self isolate for two weeks, because you can be spreading the virus before you show ant symptoms

I thought was all people, can see why we should be different from others, but could be wrong

1 hour ago, jamese said:

Would you play, your contract has expired, you get injured and are out for 6 months with no pay, as well as the health risk

In the care industry if you have contact with anyone who is positive you have to self isolate for two weeks, because you can be spreading the virus before you show ant symptoms

I thought was all people, can see why we should be different from others, but could be wrong

You're right, you could be wrong. Self isolation rules apply if you or a family member exhibits symptoms not if a colleague or anyone else that you may have had contact with has symptoms. 

You know that the whole of the EFL will eventually be cancelled.

Because the premier league have spoke at length and basically said the only way it gets going again is at neutral venues. Not once talked about in the EFL.

We are all thinking we are going to use all the grounds to stage games. 

So the league with the most money and the biggest will to get going again says its impossible at all 20 grounds. Yet EFL act like it can be done or haven't yet put neutral venues forward yet.  Why not?

To me this says that they were only ever planning to get the premier league going again and the rest will be cancelled.

The prem said from the start it would be led by government advice, tonight there has been no mention of return of pro sports.

Now they can argue about who's going down..and who's going up.

Though I think the whole will be suspended until July at the earliest and see whats what.

4 hours ago, happy bunny said:

As things stand there isn't one single player that is anywhere near match fit

Start the season as if you can just flick a switch

Somebody needs to take a big head wobble and call an end to this insanity

And we also learn today that the reproduction rate ("R" number) in Germany, where football is due to restart and after lockdown was relaxed a few days ago, has risen back above "1" which means that the infection rate is again on the increase.

Players returning to their English clubs will also have to stay in quarantine for two weeks before before they can start training locally and god only knows when training as a team can recommence. Sending out half-fit players is reckless at best and, with matches to be played every two or three days, injuries can only pile up.

Not only that, if a player tests positive after a game, that's two whole squads, a full set of match officials, coaching staff and match day staff, at best, isolated for two weeks. It only has to happen once and the whole league is b0llx'd up again.

It's clearly a no brainer. I can't understand why people who run football can't see this.

30 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

You know that the whole of the EFL will eventually be cancelled.

Because the premier league have spoke at length and basically said the only way it gets going again is at neutral venues. Not once talked about in the EFL.

We are all thinking we are going to use all the grounds to stage games. 

So the league with the most money and the biggest will to get going again says its impossible at all 20 grounds. Yet EFL act like it can be done or haven't yet put neutral venues forward yet.  Why not?

To me this says that they were only ever planning to get the premier league going again and the rest will be cancelled.

Tbf i said this a while ago

The PL decided that it needed to go alone so f*ck the EFL

The PL do give one shiny shyte about the rest of the clubs - it doesn't even hit their radar

PL, first, last and everything between

EFL? Who?

Just now, scram said:

Tbf i said this a while ago

The PL decided that it needed to go alone so f*ck the EFL

The PL do give one shiny shyte about the rest of the clubs - it doesn't even hit their radar

PL, first, last and everything between

EFL? Who?

I completely agree with your point. But in the interest of fairness the Premier League and EFL are completely separate.

So the EFL should be making it's own plans to return. My point was I think they knew that they could not do so.

This is The Athletic's Bundesliga's expert on the return

the Bundesliga’s rush back to the pitch is motivated by money. Unlike the clubs in the Premier League, they hadn’t all been paid up for the rest of the season and without that last part of the TV rights payment (€300m) up to a third of the 36 professional clubs would have faced severe financial difficulties before too long. But the backdrop to the government’s permission is also the gradual reopening of the economy, coupled with a stark realisation: COVID-19 will continue to pose problems for all of society for many more months to come. In March, Chancellor Angela Merkel warned that “60 to 70 per cent” of Germans could get infected before the development of a vaccine and that the crisis could last two years.

The return of the Bundesliga, a non-essential activity played out in sterile environs of the so-called ghost games, will look hasty and reckless to many. Players are rightly concerned, organised fans at best ambiguous.

But there is no material prospect of the situation changing anytime before the end of the year. The same uneasy questions the league is grappling with now — the safety of players, the right protocol for testing and quarantine — will dominate the debate in all walks of life until there is a medical breakthrough. If professional football is to survive in the meantime, in Germany and elsewhere, it’ll have to strike a way to balance risks and necessities just like everybody else. Playing football under these conditions will remain a difficult prospect, even with effective mass testing in place, to be sure. The rest of the world will have the benefit of being able to learn from the Bundesliga’s successes and failings but they shouldn’t expect clear-cut answers.

Watching games without fans and (genuine) noise will put our love for the game under considerable strain, in the meantime. Will it be possible as a viewer to zoom past the empty stands onto action on the pitch or will the prevailing emptiness swallow up the game as a whole?

Whatever clubs will or won’t do to mitigate the drabness, it’ll look unfamiliar and strange. Before too long, however, every professional club in the world will have to think along the same lines. And it won’t make any difference whether you count the games taking place as this season or the next.

The Bundesliga will provide an early snapshot of what this all will look like, with all its contradictions, moral compromises and unsatisfactory optics. It won’t be football as we know it. But that’s how it’s going to be.