Gary megson or dave jones?

6 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Not even close 

Megson every time.

I'd have him as an assistant manager now.

Someone to give the players the passion they need to play for Wednesday. 

Now that would be a good option - not sure there would be a ying and yang reference the tactics that him and Monk like though

Dave Jones got us promoted after megson's team went stale. 

I'll  credit both with the promotion. 

Megson fans have to recognise that would have never happened if he had remained. Jones released the shackles. 

Jones then managed to keep us up the season after. 

Megson is remembered more fondly because he is an owl and loves us. 

Jones always said "They" when referring to the team and didn't get the fans onside. 

Jones also stuck with Bothroyd and that midfielder ( who's name escapes me) way beyond it being obvious they were useless. 

Who would I have back now? 

If I had to choose- Megson. But I wouldn't have said that at the time. 

Wouldn't put them anywhere near Alex Ferguson or Wengers class but both overall had pretty decent careers as managers.

Apart from Jones brief stint at Hartlepool neither have been employed sine they left us which should tell you something that the game has moved on and dont think either really wants to manage again.

22 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Megson fans have to recognise that would have never happened if he had remained. Jones released the shackles. 

Jones always said "They" when referring to the team and didn't get the fans onside. 

Jones also stuck with Bothroyd and that midfielder ( who's name escapes me) way beyond it being obvious they were useless. 

Megson was an Everton fan, but watched Man City more than he did us

14 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

Megson laid the foundations and did a great job building a squad but i still don't believe we would have gone up in 2nd without Jones replacing him. 

Maybe, but Megson only had Antonio for one game.

23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Christ that's like asking do I want a rich tea biscuit or a jammy dodger

Neil....seriously. No mention of Choccy Hob Nobs.

Mate.....you're not well. lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Beholder said:

I can only think of Stephen McPhail regarding the midfielder he stuck with. 

Don't think he was useless, age caught up with him in my opinion. 

Bothroyd though was his downfall, playing him all the time during his August to January loan was a disaster. Ironic that our form and also the team morale picked up immensely when he returned to QPR. 

Megson wouldn’t have got us promoted however, neither would Jones without the initial work Megson put in.

Jones had a superior track record on paper but, the Cardiff team he managed were perennial underachievers in my opinion, they should have been promoted with the quality he had at his disposal.

If it’s based on who would make a better impact right now... Megson all day long.

Jesus, a lot of vitriol for two managers that got us up 

Megson started the job and instilled the belief, Jones got us over the line

We wouldn’t have gone up without Jones - an unbeaten run wouldn’t have happened under Megson. And we wouldn’t have gone up without that belief Megson instilled in the team. 

Thanks to both

Both in their way did well for us.

Megson's limits were very clear and there were fiascos along the way. The team when he left it, for all the rather tiresome talk about commitment and bleeding blue and white, was running badly out of steam. Jones was a inspired appointment. He then totally lost the plot, but that doesn't negate his initial success.

23 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I suppose they both did that, but in different ways. Jones tactically and perhaps not being able to install the correct mentality, and Megson did what he always does, self destruct His personality is such, that he always ends up falling out with people, rather like Monk.

Megson fell out with MM and lost the battle and his job. Always have a soft spot for the ginger one as he is a Wednesdayite. You maybe right though as no other club has taken a chance on him since and his record is better than many who seem to bounce from job to job.