Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’d like to see us bring in an innovative manager, like the pigs did with Wilder. They didn’t spend a fortune, but he got a bunch of average players buying into his innovative tactics, and that’s what gave them the edge. If we just want someone who can just keep us in the division, we could have just appointed Bullen. We would have saved money, and there would have been none of this current upheaval. The only manager we’ve had in recent times, who was prepared to think out of the box, was Carlos

Ian Evatt at Barrow possibly,heard good things about him and his style of football,early into his career I know.......

3 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Ian Evatt at Barrow possibly,heard good things about him and his style of football,early into his career I know.......

He’s the old Chesterfield player isn’t he? Not read anything about his managerial stint, but unless we can appoint a tried and tested, promotion winning manager, and bankroll him, then I’d rather us turn to an up and coming guy who’s prepared to try new ideas. Someone who can work with the players on the training ground. I’ve seen nothing, absolutely zero, of Monk’s influence on the playing style, well not in a good way at least

16 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Not sure some would be happy if he brought his assistant with him .    

• Haha 1

I still think he’s the best we can get at the moment. Bruce could manage the bigger egos in our side but I don’t think other can. Monk showed he could get us punching before setting out his longer term plans (too early) which rocked the boat and alienated the senior players on the sidelines. This was an issue for Luhukay and also Carlos when the chips were down. The issue here isn’t the manager in my view so I would like us to see what Monk can do with his own men. 

If I remember right mr Cs original plan was CC as d of f with cooper as his apprentice. I like this idea, we should have done it with Atkinson and Pearson.

Might be time to revisit it. Big Mick and Ryan Lowe, contrasting styles but might work?

any other combos considered!

29 minutes ago, Plonk said:

If I remember right mr Cs original plan was CC as d of f with cooper as his apprentice. I like this idea, we should have done it with Atkinson and Pearson.

Might be time to revisit it. Big Mick and Ryan Lowe, contrasting styles but might work?

Megson and Lowe garymegson

Guest LondonOwl313
15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

No he hasn't.

They're still at the club

Who are the problem players in your view? Is it just KW and SH, and if so how are they adversely affecting the results just by being on the payroll when they’re not involved at all

Great Big Galaa and South_Owl have highlighted the success to date of Ryan Lowe.

He got Bury promoted to League 1 and was on track to get Plymouth also promoted to League 1.

We should be watching him very closley as a possible and ditch Monk who has never won anything as a manager.

Lowe is an interesting shout. We’ve already got a song for him too. 

Someone like Lowe has proved themselves in the lower leagues (like Wilder did) and, to paraphrase Monk, knows how to build a successful team/dressing room. Monk hasn’t ever done that. His first job was in the PL with Swansea and he did ok there for a bit before the wheels fell off — a pattern which has repeated itself at every club he’s been at since. He’s only early 40s but he’s going backwards as a manager already... get rid ASAP

21 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Lowe is an interesting shout. We’ve already got a song for him too. 

Someone like Lowe has proved themselves in the lower leagues (like Wilder did) and, to paraphrase Monk, knows how to build a successful team/dressing room. Monk hasn’t ever done that. His first job was in the PL with Swansea and he did ok there for a bit before the wheels fell off — a pattern which has repeated itself at every club he’s been at since. He’s only early 40s but he’s going backwards as a manager already... get rid ASAP

Yes Chansiri is loyal to players and managers but sadly in football there’s no real place for that, to have ambition you need to be ruthless and hiring an up and coming manager is what we should be doing.  Especially as half our squad is about to go it’s a good time to have a new approach, Lowe in charge and younger players who are hungry for success. But no doubt we will see Monk in the dugout for another year or so 

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

As long as they were singing from the same song sheet  Really would like a manager/coach who could improve the players, and get them playing in an entertaining way Fed up to the back teeth, with this dour attritional stuff

3 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

although I’d like to see this type of manager brought in, or indeed someone like Lowe, is I can remember putting forward the name of Paul Hirst. Can remember reading that he held an elite level coaching badge, one of only three coaches in Europe to hold that particular level There was talk of him being fast tracked into the England set up, and he was doing a good job at Shrewsbury at the time. 
He then went to Ipswich, Scunthorpe and then Grimsby, with little success, so you never know. 
If we can’t appoint, and back, a proven winner, then I think I’d still be happy appointing someone like Evatt or Lowe, than another one from the merry go round of steady eddies

15 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Just because wilder did it doesn’t mean the next non leaguer will. Managers making a step up have typically struggled here for whatever reason.

Yeah totally agree,but then if theyre success is only in lower or non league football it shouldnt rule them out either,and success and record of achievement should be the guiding factor in a choice of leader.

We need to move away from only employing out of work managers,Id have given the cowleys a go,but obviously DC will not,time will tell on how they go now at Huddersfield.

9 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Yeah totally agree,but then if theyre success is only in lower or non league football it shouldnt rule them out either,and success and record of achievement should be the guiding factor in a choice of leader.

We need to move away from only employing out of work managers,Id have given the cowleys a go,but obviously DC will not,time will tell on how they go now at Huddersfield.

DC would have had them but they didn’t want DC and his approach.

Even Wilder had EFL experience before joining Utd when on the bones of their backside 

Edited by Bluesteel

8 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Lowe in charge and younger players who are hungry for success. 

This is how I would play it, let most of the senior out of contract players go and hire Lowe, let him bring through the youngsters and sign players that will change the club’s attitude. People may think that means become a league 1 team but Wilder signed players from the lower leagues and Scotland that we wouldn’t have wanted at the time and that worked out alright 

55 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

This is how I would play it, let most of the senior out of contract players go and hire Lowe, let him bring through the youngsters and sign players that will change the club’s attitude. People may think that means become a league 1 team but Wilder signed players from the lower leagues and Scotland that we wouldn’t have wanted at the time and that worked out alright 

Lower leagues and Scotland? We’ve seen how that works out for us. Our best hunting grounds will be those youngsters released by Premier League clubs, but I agree with the sentiment, a younger squad

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

In league one...they learnt to win there.

if a points deduction took us down, then something like this would be a decent idea. But I think picking up prem u23 players and getting them into our team would be a good move. 

Edited by Bluesteel

On 18/04/2020 at 21:24, Bluesteel said:

DC would have had them but they didn’t want DC and his approach.

Even Wilder had EFL experience before joining Utd when on the bones of their backside 

Wilders record at several lower league teams was impressive. As Lowe is doing. Paul Hirst that someone mentioned had only done it at one club. Lowe, with an older head to offer some support and knowledge of running a bigger club might just work.