Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

Yes, this is what I have been saying.

Income from season tickets, memberships, etc will fall significantly if all we have to look forward to is a Sheffield Wednesday side being managed by Monk.

It is time for a new dawn free of Monk and his type of football.

19 hours ago, Plonk said:

I wouldn’t. I won’t. If he is still here next season I won’t be. Not forking out £500 plus to watch the rubbish monk will put out. What on Gods earth makes anyone think next season will be any different. The players he’s brought in have been crap. The players he’s driving out have been good servants of the club. Anyone who thinks prlepussy is a better player than Hutchinson doesn’t need sacking they need sectioning. 

I'm not sure anyone believes Pelupessy is better than Hutchinson.

I'm pretty sure the ONLY reason Pelupessy gets a game is because of whatever Hutchinson has been doing to get himself banished from the team/club by more than one manager.

I"m also certain that once a new midfielder can be brought in, that Pelupessy wont' get into the first team

Owlstalk Shop

19 hours ago, Plonk said:

I wouldn’t. I won’t. If he is still here next season I won’t be. Not forking out £500 plus to watch the rubbish monk will put out. What on Gods earth makes anyone think next season will be any different. The players he’s brought in have been crap. The players he’s driving out have been good servants of the club. Anyone who thinks prlepussy is a better player than Hutchinson doesn’t need sacking they need sectioning. 

This ^^^ Even if you ignore the Hutchinson argument, we have the attacking players to cause sides problems, and yet Monk rarely has us on the front foot. The football is dreadful, considering the resources he has available

25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This ^^^ Even if you ignore the Hutchinson argument, we have the attacking players to cause sides problems, and yet Monk rarely has us on the front foot. The football is dreadful, considering the resources he has available

There's no arguing that we've been generally a grim watch since the end of Carvalhal's second season. But I'm not convinced we do have dangerous attacking players apart from Fletcher. That once vibrant squad has aged, stagnated or in some cases departed altogether.

Wickham, Rhodes and Winnall have been dismal (apart from 45 minutes at the City Ground), Nuhiu is unremarkable, Harris made a good start but then his form jumped off a cliff, Forestieri and Lee are not the creative forces they once were, Luongo has been interesting but in the physio's room too much and Reach has gone back to being goal-shy. Murphy is probably our second best player going forward, which speaks for itself given how much criticism he's had across the season.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not sure anyone believes Pelupessy is better than Hutchinson.

I'm pretty sure the ONLY reason Pelupessy gets a game is because of whatever Hutchinson has been doing to get himself banished from the team/club by more than one manager.

I"m also certain that once a new midfielder can be brought in, that Pelupessy wont' get into the first team

You keep repeating the mantra that Westwood and Hutchinson are” bad eggs” and you probably know a lot more than me. But they were also the two major influences in our two most successful seasons in the last twenty years. Whose wrong the players are the manager?

as I keep saying good managers manage those strong characters. Read DiCanios book on his views on Atkinson and Wilson and you will get my drift.

And, I don’t want monk to sign someone better than pelepussy, I want him to sign someone better than Hutchinson.

Do I think he can? No. I don’t trust him to even improve on pelepussy from what I’ve seen so far.

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

And, I don’t want monk to sign someone better than pelepussy, I want him to sign someone better than Hutchinson.

Do I think he can? No. I don’t trust him to even improve on pelepussy from what I’ve seen so far.

Why do people still keep going on and on about Monk signing players?

We all know that the manager doesn't scout or identify players for our club. That's been pretty much confirmed by Chansiri who says his advisory team do that.

So you simply cannot lay any responsibility at Monk's door for any players coming into the club.

Owlstalk Shop

It’s obviously a while since our last game but let’s not forget it was a 5-0 defeat at Brentford and in all fairness we were getting d!ck5d nearly every week up to and including that point.

The suspension in play due to the virus has arguably kept him in a job as surely he would’ve lost it by now had football continued?

He’s very much in Jos territory now. Results and performances are sackable, he looks like he’s lost the dressing room?, he’s certainly lost the fans. I don’t see how he can keep his job, I really don’t. He should be let go now IMO as let’s be honest things aren’t going to change in the short term while Monk remains in charge?

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

There's no arguing that we've been generally a grim watch since the end of Carvalhal's second season. But I'm not convinced we do have dangerous attacking players apart from Fletcher. That once vibrant squad has aged, stagnated or in some cases departed altogether.

Wickham, Rhodes and Winnall have been dismal (apart from 45 minutes at the City Ground), Nuhiu is unremarkable, Harris made a good start but then his form jumped off a cliff, Forestieri and Lee are not the creative forces they once were, Luongo has been interesting but in the physio's room too much and Reach has gone back to being goal-shy. Murphy is probably our second best player going forward, which speaks for itself given how much criticism he's had across the season.

True we are not the team we were 2015-17 but are the players you mention struggling to make more of an impact due to the negative tactics? The defensive approach he has adopted is exactly working is it? Only Hull have conceded more goals than us this year.

35 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why do people still keep going on and on about Monk signing players?

We all know that the manager doesn't scout or identify players for our club. That's been pretty much confirmed by Chansiri who says his advisory team do that.

So you simply cannot lay any responsibility at Monk's door for any players coming into the club.

So putting up an argument for him having pre-season to 'bring in his own players' is pointless then.

We’ve got a crucial time coming up with so many players out of contract. Whether that happens at the end of June as planned or not, it’s going to have a huge bearing on our direction for the next few seasons so it’s vital that we get it right.

Monk has done nothing in his entire managerial career to suggest he deserves to be part of that process IMO. He’s 41 but he’s already on his way to the managerial scrapheap — unless he drastically turns things round with us, it’s hard to see him getting another job at this level again

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I probably wasn’t suggesting they were the most dangerous attacking options, but they are capable of much more than what we are seeing. I don’t think the options were that great for Carlos in that first year, but he utilised what he had. In that first season, his philosophy was all about taking the game to our opponents. Since then, as you suggest, we have been far too cautious. 
My main concern is, there is little evidence that Monk will be any better at getting us on the front foot than any of the previous managers. Worse than that, he doesn’t seem to be able to organise the defensive options we have. Sure some of the players from that initial season are in decline, but maybe not as much as it appears. Good players can look disinterested, or even poor, under the wrong manager. The decline in most of the players since Christmas, including most of last summers recruits, is most concerning. Is this down to players being unhappy with how they are being asked to play? Maybe there has been some disruption behind the scenes, I don’t know, but a good manager will manage that. I actually wouldn’t have a problem with the manager leaving out Westwood and Hutchinson, if he thought they were a disruption in the squad. Having made that decision, you’d hope there would be an upturn from that new togetherness. On the contrary, things are worse, much much worse.

I agree 100% with everything Plonk, Beswetherik, Great Big Galaa, Hirstyboywonder and Gurujuan have said here.

They all still have in the forefront of their minds the truly dreadful results and perfornaces under Monk since Xmas.

Most worryingly Monk has never as a manager turned around a downward trend in results.

He has a history of upsetting people and we need a change uregently.

Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro, fired by Brum and needs to be fired by us.

Theres better managers out there but as long as you've got 'fall guy' managers that will take the flack for the chairman and his advisors buying absolute poo , the overriding issue wont get solved and the players will always have a get out if things arent going well. I dont for one second believe a manager who has to put 11 out to win a game and juggle keeping a squad happy brings in windass and da Cruz to play behind the striker when forestieri is already at the club, especially when we dont have a pot to wee wee in, we were hemorrhaging goals and at the time had our only left footed full back out injured. 

4 minutes ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

Theres better managers out there but as long as you've got 'fall guy' managers that will take the flack for the chairman and his advisors buying absolute poo , the overriding issue wont get solved and the players will always have a get out if things arent going well. I dont for one second believe a manager who has to put 11 out to win a game and juggle keeping a squad happy brings in windass and da Cruz to play behind the striker when forestieri is already at the club, especially when we dont have a pot to wee wee in, we were hemorrhaging goals and at the time had our only left footed full back out injured. 

I agree and don't think the players that were brought in have made an impact but you have to wonder why the manager chose to play Forestieri at wing-back in this sense.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

No at all. The head coach and recruitment team will discuss the way forward and the player types required to fit them. The job of the recruitment team will be to source them. Monk would then have a fresh canvas with time to work with the new group with any former disruptive influences flushed out of the club.

And you think Monk will be capable of this based on what?

He has turned a positive start into among the worst form in the country for 3 months despite getting rid of who he seemingly believed to be the most disruptive influences. 

We have been shocking since Christmas, he had time to plan and discuss what type of player was most needed in January and this led to us bringing in players that cannot get into the starting 11 regularly in a team that is performing abysmally. 

9 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Yes in short, I confirm my already stated view that Monk should prepare a rebuilt squad for resumption of football.

If he does I'll be renewing my ST just as I will if he is replaced.

Have you got anything to support why you think this is a good idea?

5 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Yes as stated in my earlier posts.

I've read back through your posts in this thread and other than you wanting to give him the benefit of having the chance to rebuild in the summer and continue his work of ousting the trouble makers in the squad, I can't actually see why you think he will be capable of making a success of this.

Our squad needs a refresh without doubt but Monk's ridding of what he believes to be the main bad influences has coincided with a step decline in results which doesn't bode well for his approach.

Also, in pretty much every managerial job he has had to date, the more time he has been at a club, the worse things have got and he has actually contributed to fall outs rather than solved them.

6 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

........Plus bringing his own coaching support in to replace the two Steve's. At his last job Birmingham fans by and large had a high regard for the job he did there and they were a basket case like us. Their chairman has a rep for being trigger happy. 

Ousting any bad eggs is vital IMO. Gone on for far too long. Hutch for example has been my favourite player but IMO needs to go now. With hindsight it was a bad move to give KW a 2 year deal and especially likely on money that will make it difficult (or costly) to move on. Sorting out divisive elements especially fan favourites is invariably painful but nonetheless necessary. 

We need to use the break and opportunity to purge the squad  to properly prepare for a restart. The horrible part has started and yes I want Monk to be here to complete the purge and then the rebuild.

I also believe that D.C. will retain him so one of us will be proved right. 

He doesn't have any coaching staff to call upon, they are all in work at Birmingham under the assistant he fell out with.

Birmingham fans did think he was doing a good job and they were a troubled club at the time, which is why initially I felt his appointment wasn't a bad one. However, their form tailed off at the end of the season. They are still a troubled club now but Clotet is on course to guide them to a better finish than Monk and a similar points tally when taking last seasons deduction into consideration - this without any managerial experience at this level.

Significantly, Monk managed to fall out with the board and key members of staff which doesn't bode well and is not the first time this has happened in his managerial career.

I agree our squad needs to be refreshed but Monk in starting this process has caused a huge decline in results which indicates that the way he has gone about this has been wrong - telling players halfway through the season that they have no chance of staying & playing under him seemingly hasn't worked.

Our results have been terrible for a third of the season, performances have reflected results and I cannot remember a time watching us that we have effectively been beaten by half-time so often, even in the dire times under Turner and Irvine. 

Monk has no successful track record of rebuilding a team or recruiting effectively, this may be what is needed but little suggests he is the right man to implement it.