Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I just mean the dropping deep, defensive substitutions etc. My point is, I can't recall it happening anywhere nearly as frequently under Carlos or Bruce, or even Jos. Maybe it's because the players are getting older as I've seen some people say but I'm not sure that would make it happen.

Are you sure? Name some games then where it happened to jog my memory. I can't recall any under Bruce, apart from maybe Norwich away. I don't recall many games under Carlos where we threw points away at the end. Also can't remember Jos throwing away winning positions either, not that he got us into that position very often 

One that stands out under jos was a very poor Bolton side equallising deep in stoppage time. I'm sure there are more. Point is this squad of players do this time and again under different regimes. 

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, Beighton Owl 87 said:

One that stands out under jos was a very poor Bolton side equallising deep in stoppage time. I'm sure there are more. Point is this squad of players do this time and again under different regimes. 

well it happens to all teams I'm sure but its the frequency that counts. It must have been about 10 times this season which is far higher than other seasons I think

On 15/04/2020 at 13:44, matt68owls said:

taking us to the highest position since I started watching Wednesday 44 years ago, 2 cup finals and in to Europe and bringing people like Waddle and Walker to the club, right muppet wasn't he.

Tricky Trev  was the luckiest SWFC manager in modern times and by the way I've supported and followed them for 55 years. He inherited Ron Atkinson's team and apart from a couple of noteworthy signings to which you make reference, his tenure was disastrous and TBH we've never fully recovered. Respect anyone's opinion but just goes to show how difficult it is to reach a consensus, when discussing Your team?

On 15/04/2020 at 11:09, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk SWFC.jpg

Now you've had time to calm down and reflect what are your thoughts on Garry Monk?

Is he the right man for the job?

Do you believe in his vision of replacing the stale squad with hungrier, younger players and getting problem disruptive players out of the club?

Are you happy to back him over the coming seasons?

Doing as well as anyone could be expected at this dysfunctional club.

Yes.

Yes. That will take time, money and a few more crap performances to filter through though.

Yes.

UTO

The manager needs to work with whatever structure is in at the club to make some transformational improvements in the current and future playing squad.  He should not accept situations where he has no control over incoming players at all.

He needs the following to have a fighting chance next year.

1.  Substantial improvement in one of the two goalies over the summer.

2.  A third choice centre half - probably a cheapish loan from overseas like Sasso/ Venacio - who is more reliable than Lees and could replace Borner if he dips in form again.

3.  A versatile full back who can play either side, to compete with Palmer or provide cover if Palmers form improves.

4.  Substantial improvement in Reach in attacking areas, and intensive work with the recalled Penny to get him first team ready.

5.  A replacement player for Hutchinson with more energy and no long term fitness issues.

6.  A few pork chop and spud dinners down young Hunt who looks like a player.

7.  A new and younger target striker - probably a cheaper overseas import.

8.  Another younger more creative forward to play as a 10 to replace FF/Winnall.

9.  A loan swap deal for Rhodes for the season to the SPL in exchange for a bench player who can cover in 3 or 4 positions if needed.

10.  a seasons loan deal away from the club for Van Aken,

A couple of people commented:

Plus anyone who tells me that Garry Monk spent weeks in Italy scouting Da Cruz has to be off their heads. He's not the one bringing players to the club.

Well Monk said hat he did so he is either a liar or just plain incompetent.  Which is it?

If Monk is a blatent liar then that starts to bring up the ghosts of St Andrews and why the Brum board did not trust him and fired him pronto.

36 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

Doing as well as anyone could be expected at this dysfunctional club.

Yes.

Yes. That will take time, money and a few more crap performances to filter through though.

Yes.

UTO

Actually Carlos did far better than anyone could have expected, with the same dysfunctional players, so maybe we should have kept him Since then, it’s been a disaster

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This statement...

*bangs head on desk*

It's a statement that's been trotted out about Monk by someone and everyone's jumping on it like it's the statement to end all statements.

Yet you could take that statement and apply it to all/any manager who's ever been fired.

That statement is a trendy nonsense.

Those using it need to have a little sit down and think about it before using it again because it's making people look really gullible.

You could do yes. But then if you look at a managers career and if it happens at EVERY club they manage its clearly an issue. Sometimes good managers cannot stop the slide. Sometimes they can. The ones that NEVER (which you cant argue with Monk) are the managers who fade away. 

Whatever positive spin you put on it this is fact.

No, showed nothing to show he will improve things. Very disappointed that he hasn't worked out. He hasn't though, when times got tough he was weak and his man management has been clueless. Ripping in to players in the media and saying he has to be honest he doesn't know any other way. Might sound good but all he did since he came in was question their mentality and has hidden behind blaming them even though his team selection tactics substitutions man management has been very poor. His style of play shocking. 

Cut him free before he gets the chance to bring in players because looks like he will bring in more dead wood. I don't want another game let along season watching the sh@t we have had under him. Jos #2 Chansiri should have been using this tragic time to straighten club out and get the man in to create a reboot. (Not in anyway think the current situation in the world  is anything other than horrific)

On 15/04/2020 at 23:06, Owls Loyal said:

Westfield Owl gets it spot on for me when he says:

100% not the right man.  Said so when he was appointed.  I was gutted.

2 wins in 14 isn’t it - how many other EFL managers would survive a run like that

So true

Has anyone forgotten these results and performances since XMAS:

Wednesday 0 - Blackburn 5

Luton 1 - Wednesday 0 (Luton missed a pen and 3 sitters)

Wednesday 0 Reading 3

Brentford 5 - Wednesday 0

Fired by Swansea, fired by M'boro, fired by Brum.  He has never won anything as a Manager in football so why should it be any different here?

Nailed it.

The press conference when he was unveiled spoke a thousand words, DC couldn't look any less interested, he had either been smoking some pretty hefty weed or he had accepted his appointment wasn't even 2nd choice, either way he couldn't have looked less interested.

Edited by Blue and white

39 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Loovens, Wallace, Hooper were more than tidy players that Monk doesn't have. Hunt to a lesser degree. Add in a sadly declined Lee through injury. Four of the above were absolutely vital to CC's tenure.

Granted, but he can call upon Iorfa, Borner, Luongo, Harris and Murphy, so he should be making a better fist of things

1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

The press conference when he was unveiled spoke a thousand words, DC couldn't look any less interested, he had either been smoking some pretty hefty weed or he had accepted his appointment wasn't even 2nd choice, either way he couldn't have looked less interested.

He has all on staying awake, really awkward.

3 hours ago, G.Reaper said:

Tricky Trev  was the luckiest SWFC manager in modern times and by the way I've supported and followed them for 55 years. He inherited Ron Atkinson's team and apart from a couple of noteworthy signings to which you make reference, his tenure was disastrous and TBH we've never fully recovered. Respect anyone's opinion but just goes to show how difficult it is to reach a consensus, when discussing Your team?

I am going to have to ask, how was his tenure a disaster, never understood this which hunt for Francis.

while I like big Ron, he has that same team for 2 years, the first season he got us relegated, the second we finished 3rd in the 2nd division and on the cup, then he left us. If we had not won the cup, would he be held in such high esteem?

Just now, matt68owls said:

I am going to have to ask, how was his tenure a disaster, never understood this which hunt for Francis.

Dismantled a successful squad, started to replace quality with dross, poor man management skills, a desperately poor run of results etc etc

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

There's 9 pages so far mate..

There’s 9 pages but not many points on why people would keep him. Most of the positives seem to focus on the fact he knows what needs to be done to the squad as he’s already in post, or that the pool of available managers to replace him is shallow. There aren’t many ringing endorsements of why he should stay