Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

There’s 9 pages but not many points on why people would keep him. Most of the positives seem to focus on the fact he knows what needs to be done to the squad as he’s already in post, or that the pool of available managers to replace him is shallow. There aren’t many ringing endorsements of why he should stay 

I think the ones who aren't pushing for him to get sacked are simply saying it's too early to judge

No coaching team, dressing room full of big contract trouble players etc

I think people are saying the time to fairly judge him is when he has his own team around him, both on and off the pitch

Owlstalk Shop

On 15/04/2020 at 11:18, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not given enough time to build a squad, I don't like the tactics he uses far to negative for me. 

Having said that if he can improve us with his style then fair enough.

If we are going to give managers less than a season to prove themselves then we are going to need a very long conveyor belt. 

If we keep picking the wrong managers then we are going to have disappointing season after season regardless of how long we give them.

Monk has a track record of starting off well at club, losing his way, falling out with people and losing his job. History would appear to be repeating itself. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If we keep picking the wrong managers then we are going to have disappointing season after season regardless of how long we give them.

Monk has a track record of starting off well at club, losing his way, falling out with people and losing his job. History would appear to be repeating itself. 

So would you sack him and trust the person responsible for hiring him to go and hire another person?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

With that sort of reasoning Ferguson would never have become a manchester legend

57 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think the ones who aren't pushing for him to get sacked are simply saying it's too early to judge

No coaching team, dressing room full of big contract trouble players etc

I think people are saying the time to fairly judge him is when he has his own team around him, both on and off the pitch

Having his own team around him is a fair point but in reality who is he likely to bring in if he did have the opportunity? He has fallen out with his long term assistant who now has a job as a manager and is with other staff they have both worked with at Birmingham. His only other available staff member that he has been linked to is James Beattie - if he is the answer then why hasn't anyone else snapped him up for a long term coaching position?

As for having his own players, managers have to work with what they have got and players come and go in bulk so often that the manager has to adapt to work with the squad at hand. Besides which, how much control would he have over transfers with us anyway? He brought a few players in during the last transfer window and none of them have managed to get a regular place in the team despite coming into a squad that he has publicly slated. 

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So would you sack him and trust the person responsible for hiring him to go and hire another person?

That's another question isn't it.

Carlos seemed a good appointment at the time, as did Bruce, the current regime have a hit and miss record in that respect in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's another question isn't it.

Carlos seemed a good appointment at the time, as did Bruce, the current regime have a hit and miss record in that respect in my opinion. 

I think that's fair

I get the feeling that Steve Bruce was the expensive buy out of them all, although I remember Chansiri saying that Jos was earning a lot more than Carlos ever did at the club.

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

With that sort of reasoning Ferguson would never have become a manchester legend

With your reasoning they would never have got rid of Big Ron and so we would never have had him! 

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Look at every manager who's been sacked - why do THEY keep getting sacked?

Like Steve Bruce for example.. 

He's been fired a few times..

Why is that? 

Couldn't he stop the slide once it had started?

Couldn't Steve Bruce turn results around?

Mmmm??

See how it works?

You can apply this logic to any manager who's ever been sacked

To be fair to Steve Bruce, in the majority of his managerial jobs he has got sacked after enjoying a degree of success but then things have gone stale or the club he is at simply haven't been good enough to compete at the level they were at. Bruce is a good manager at this level and has proven that. Even at Villa he did well first season but then personal matters clearly took their toll on his ability to focus and perform.

The longest Monk has enjoyed any success for in his managerial career to date has been about 4 months.

41 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

And we could have kept Steve Burtenshaw on and be playing in the Meadowhall League. 

Good point. 

Perhaps Lestrade thinks Jos should still be in charge, Irvine needed more time and Chris Turner didn't get anywhere near long enough to make a go of it?

Easy to roll out the time Man Utd gave Fergie more time to make a point but it doesn't mean that will work that way for everyone. Also should be noted that Alex Ferguson had proved himself as a successful manager - the last manager to win the Scottish title at a club other than Rangers or Celtic, some 35 years ago. 

Garry Monk has no history of managerial success as a basis to afford him more time. 

2 hours ago, matt68owls said:

I am going to have to ask, how was his tenure a disaster, never understood this which hunt for Francis.

while I like big Ron, he has that same team for 2 years, the first season he got us relegated, the second we finished 3rd in the 2nd division and on the cup, then he left us. If we had not won the cup, would he be held in such high esteem?

Quite simple really, firstly expressing a negative opinion , hardly constitutes a "witch hunt"

Secondly the relegation season for Ron Atkinson, coincided with the semi final tragedy and the team that  won the League cup and gained promotion the following season, were playing the expansive attacking football, much admired by Wednesday fans, then and now.

The demise is adequately described in the subsequent post  and is a matter of record ?

36 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Good point. 

Perhaps Lestrade thinks Jos should still be in charge, Irvine needed more time and Chris Turner didn't get anywhere near long enough to make a go of it?

Easy to roll out the time Man Utd gave Fergie more time to make a point but it doesn't mean that will work that way for everyone. Also should be noted that Alex Ferguson had proved himself as a successful manager - the last manager to win the Scottish title at a club other than Rangers or Celtic, some 35 years ago. 

Garry Monk has no history of managerial success as a basis to afford him more time. 

I'm no fan of GM but managers are coming and going like they are going out of business.  We need some stability at the club in that role.  This chopping and changing is obviously not working either.

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I'm no fan of GM but managers are coming and going like they are going out of business.  We need some stability at the club in that role.  This chopping and changing is obviously not working either.

In general I agree but not if you pick the wrong one. Don't forget our last chop and change was not one we wanted but was forced upon us.

To be fair we had limited options in terms of choice with how our need for a new manager came about this time and the situation we are in with the EL.

It's a really tricky situation

We need to back a chosen manager unreservedly to the hilt, give them their own coaching staff and behind the scenes people, a good solid squad of players to move forward with, get rid of the bad eggs at the club, and then push on.

The problem is that fans are against Monk either from the start or due to the results he's gotten whilst not having his own coaching staff and without having the ability to clear out problem players.

So we could keep him and let him flush out the club

Or we could go and try and find and secure a big name

The issue there then is who would come and work in this environment?

I am never ever someone who says 'But if we get rid of X then who will seriously want to come?' because there are always people putting their hand up to be the new manager of the club. 

But the standard of manager it seems that the fans want to come to Sheffield Wednesday I genuinely am not sure they'd work under the constraints that are faced at the club currently.

I dunno... it's all a mess

And all the signs are pointing to Chansiri backing his man, sticking with Monk, flushing out the players giving us problems and pushing on. (not sure about the coaching staff and whether Monk will be allowed to recruit)

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be fair to Steve Bruce, in the majority of his managerial jobs he has got sacked after enjoying a degree of success but then things have gone stale or the club he is at simply haven't been good enough to compete at the level they were at. Bruce is a good manager at this level and has proven that. Even at Villa he did well first season but then personal matters clearly took their toll on his ability to focus and perform.

The longest Monk has enjoyed any success for in his managerial career to date has been about 4 months.

My t'other half is from DHull now converted to the true faith at considerable cost has informed me that the DHull fans didn't rate Bruce even after they went up. Bruce and Monk's records in management look very similar to me. But I'm willing to give GM a go for next season, but! The guy needs some back up. Carlton Parmer anyone?