Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That would be such a Danny Wilson style move though if we gave it to Ryan Lowe

I think our situation now is very different to then. We were an established premier league club on the wane when we appointed Wilson. I’m not saying appointing Lowe wouldn’t be a gamble but I can’t think of anyone else who would be worth getting who actually wants the job?

"That would be such a Danny Wilson style move though if we gave it to Ryan Lowe"

I have to say that this is a highy subjective judgement.

Ryan Lowe won promotion at Bury which is no mean feat.

He is on the verge of a second promotion with Plymouth Argyle.

What a bunch of complete clowns they are over at SUFC thinking that a manager who won promotion with first Oxford United and then with Northampton Town could be any good!!

8 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

"That would be such a Danny Wilson style move though if we gave it to Ryan Lowe"

What a bunch of complete clowns they are over at SUFC thinking that a manager who won promotion with first Oxford United and then with Northampton Town could be any good!!

Yeah I know what you're saying. It would be an interesting move if we took Lowe that's for sure.

I would say that I think he would (or any other manager would) stand a better chance once the culture at the club here has been cleaned out, and the troublesome players got rid of.

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah I know what you're saying. It would be an interesting move if we took Lowe that's for sure.

I would say that I think he would (or any other manager would) stand a better chance once the culture at the club here has been cleaned out, and the troublesome players got rid of.

Someone earlier mentioned da Cruz ( the sort of player Wednesday needGM) well that’s the reason I don’t want monk anywhere near the rebuild. I would rather give Lowe a try and see what he can do. Let him build a side ready to start next season. He knows what’s needed here, he would the chance, and probably already knows a load of good lower league “ hungry” players we are all clambering for. While GM will persist with Pelepussy de Cruz and other shadows. 

Maybe I am old-fashioned but I just do not get why Monk said that he knew all about Da Cruz.

Either it was true and Monk is a poor judge of a player or he knew nothing abouit Da Cruz and was needlessly lying.

What is wrong with being truthful?

I did though believe Sgt Wilko when he said that he had watched Brian Marwood six times live at Hull City before we signed him

Some will recall that Marwood did well for us in the top flight and went on to Arsenal who offered us a decent fee for him at the time.

23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That's a good and very fair overview

Take Bruce out of the equation as I highly doubt he would be welcomed back by Chansiri, and who else is there out there that the above applies to that we could attract?

Mick McCarthy!

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

You make a very good point about Wilder. I think the difference between them when he took over and us at the moment is the players. They had a bunch of relatively unknown players with few if any stand outs even at that level who had failed for years. Wilder was able to come in and build from a low base and have authority despite not having experience above the lower leagues.

We still have some players with egos that might not respond well to an up and coming manager from the lower leagues coming in and implementing some fresh ideas - part of the reason why Wilson found himself out of his depth all that time ago.

A fresh approach with a young ambitious manager and hungry up and coming players might be an option for us but if it doesn't go to plan it will be open to a great deal of criticism as it will be seen as a cheaper approach when we are still paying among the highest prices in the division.  

Yes, all good points and we know that after success at Shrewsbury Town it went badly downhill for Paul Hurst.

In an ideal world we would be keeping a close eye on Ryan Lowe.

I fear though that we maybe stuck with Monk until it all comes crashing down.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't believe for a second that Garry Monk scouted Da Cruz

No you’re probably right, but that’s the way of things at Hillsborough at the moment This is why I favour a coach who can work with the resources he is given, somebody who can improve the players The last thing we needed was someone upsetting the apple cart, especially as there’s little evidence that he is actually improving players In fact, quite the opposite

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No you’re probably right, but that’s the way of things at Hillsborough at the moment This is why I favour a coach who can work with the resources he is given, somebody who can improve the players The last thing we needed was someone upsetting the apple cart, especially as there’s little evidence that he is actually improving players In fact, quite the opposite

Christ..

Manager's only been here two minutes

Da. Cruz even less so

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

IIRC it's a rolling 12 month contract from when he joined.

I'd be surprised if D.C. was looking to pull the trigger anytime soon.

I’d be amazed if Monk is still our manager come the start of next season. He could still go before football resumes in whatever capacity it eventually does as I don’t think he wants to be here and anyone who saw Monk’s unveiling last September would be surprised if Chansiri ever wanted him given his lack of enthusiasm at the time?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

17 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I’d be amazed if Monk is still our manager come the start of next season. 

No chance will Chansiri just fire him out of the blue

Especially when Chansiri has already agreed with Monk that clearing out the negative troublesome players is the strategy

Owlstalk Shop

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No chance will Chansiri just fire him out of the blue

Especially when Chansiri has already agreed with Monk that clearing out the negative troublesome players is the strategy

Now Jones has gone at Luton expect some managerial departures IMO?

Monk will be one as no one wants him here probably apart from Dawson, Pelupessy and Da Cruz? lol

Jones being fired by Luton Town reminds us that football is still going on hehind the scenes.

The dismissal is a little surprising as Luton had picked up somewhat

They thrashed Monk's Sheffield Wednesday 1- 0 as that evening Luton missed a penalty and several sitters so it should realy have been 5-0 to Luton.

This would of course have been the same score as the 5-0 for Brentford against Monk's Wednesday shortly afterwards.

Please remember that Monk was fired by Swansea City, fired by Boro and fired by Brum.

On 24/04/2020 at 21:43, Shetland Owl said:

Would like to see him with his squad of players, when ever the next season starts

I wouldn’t. I won’t. If he is still here next season I won’t be. Not forking out £500 plus to watch the rubbish monk will put out. What on Gods earth makes anyone think next season will be any different. The players he’s brought in have been crap. The players he’s driving out have been good servants of the club. Anyone who thinks prlepussy is a better player than Hutchinson doesn’t need sacking they need sectioning.