Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

2 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Contd.... I'd think it unlikely that Monk would have wanted to address this mid season but if his authority was challenged (and possibly by players with previous ) then it was imperative that he dealt with it immediately.

But by addressing this mid-season and taking some immediate action, whatever he did has seemingly had a hugely detrimental impact. He has taken us from 3rd to the 2nd worst performing team in the division. His approach hasn't worked and his initial good start followed by a drop which isn't recovered is mirrored in his other jobs.

What excuse do you give him for us having a record in the bottom 3 in the division this year, conceding more goals than most clubs in the top 4 divisions in 2020, losing games before half-time too many times, scoring 2 first half goals in 16 home games and playing Forestieri at wing-back? 

If he had an approach that you could see signs of working or building upon then I could understand giving him more time to implement it but he is taking us in the wrong direction.  

"Serious turmoil in the camp" - well, I never.

This is a football club and football clubs tend to have some big ego's and the odd awkward character.

All our best managers, namely Big Jack, Sgt Wilko and Big Ron never had any problems did they?

The Monk apologists try to make out that the SWFC dressing room is like Aleppo but it is not of course.

It is just Monk apologist nonsense to excuse shocking resul;ts and performances since XMAS.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Not for me to excuse. It's been dire but I believe a key mitigating factor is the serious turmoil in the camp.... Not for the first time in recent times. I'm sure Monk would have preferred to have delayed action until season's end but suspect he had little option if he was confronted. I also remember our dire finish to the '90 season resulting in numbing relegation... and then what followed. BTW I'm not comparing the individuals but shiite form happens for one reason or another.

Like I say we just don't agree. My last word in this until play restarts, you hoping without GM; me with.

Stay safe and healthy.

Fair enough, I've said previously I don't think any change is likely to happen before the current season ends and the EFL charge is sorted, no manager worth his salt would consider taking the job if we were to then be landed with an embargo and a significant points deduction. I hope Monk proves me wrong as and when the remaining games of this season are played but nothing I have seen gives me any confidence of that.

The relegation at the end of 89-90 was awful but even then we weren't getting hammered every week and the level of opposition was far greater. We have been deservedly well beaten by even the worst clubs in this division too many times since Christmas. Atkinson also had a managerial track record which afforded him more time and he set his stall out to win immediate promotion and anything less would be failure. 

Same to you and your family, we might disagree on matters but its nice to be able to debate things and have discussions about our club and put our point across without having to resort to insults, we both want the same thing, a successful club, however we get there.

Up the Owls.

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Well Atkinson had at least two punch-ups with players that I'm aware of.

And that ruined our season? Because he dealt with. IF something has happened ( and we only have KWs denial to go on) it’s been very badly dealt with. 

For those who want him here next season. What evidence is there in his previous clubs or here, that he has the skills needed to turn this round and build a strong team capable of challenging at the top end?

It beggars belief that our dire form since Christmas, was due to morale being undermined by two players, who weren’t playing that regularly anyway. Far more likely, the collapse in form was down to the poor tactics employed by Monk. It’s shocking to watch, so it must be soul destroying for a footballer having to play that way.

As I have said earlier in the thread, you can have whatever tactics you want but you aren’t going to score many goals when your attackers include Wickham who is completely shot, and da Cruz who is by some distance the worst player in the league, and possibly the one below as well. 
Forget tactics, the soul destroying part is us moving from having players like Hooper as attackers to da Cruz. 

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

As I have said earlier in the thread, you can have whatever tactics you want but you aren’t going to score many goals when your attackers include Wickham who is completely shot, and da Cruz who is by some distance the worst player in the league, and possibly the one below as well. 
Forget tactics, the soul destroying part is us moving from having players like Hooper as attackers to da Cruz. 

Granted, but most managers would better utilise the talents of Fletcher, Forestieri, Murphy, Reach, Harris and Bannan, than this manager does. Those players may not be world beaters, but employed in the right way, they would give defenders at this level a good run out

Did not want Monk ,But on the other hand ,Every manager that comes in should be able to bring his own coaching team in ,Monk has been told he has got to have Bullen .Also you should be able to  recruit your own signings ,Paxio  signs them ,So although I don't want Monk the demise of the club is not all down to him.

1 hour ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Did not want Monk ,But on the other hand ,Every manager that comes in should be able to bring his own coaching team in ,Monk has been told he has got to have Bullen .Also you should be able to  recruit your own signings ,Paxio  signs them ,So although I don't want Monk the demise of the club is not all down to him.

There is no real ‘ demise’.

for the past 15 years we have pretty much had the same season in this league bar one season of relegation under Irvine and 2 good years under Carlos .

Aside from that we finish mid table ish. Did under laws, Jones, Gray, jos, Bruce, monk. 

we are a classic mid table championship team. Same as forest. Shock horror under monk we are also - mid table.

To say that we are a mid-table side under Monk since Xmas is not factually correct.

Only one team in the Champuionshio gathered fewer points over the first three months of 2020

Monk was fored by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum and needs to be fired by us..