Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

Wilders record at several lower league teams was impressive. As Lowe is doing. Paul Hirst that someone mentioned had only done it at one club. Lowe, with an older head to offer some support and knowledge of running a bigger club might just work.

Lowe could be a very shrewd appointment and has gone on record as saying come back here as manager would be his dream job.

We are going in one direction under Monk and I wouldn't be at all against Lowe coming here, he could be our Wilder.

5 hours ago, Plonk said:

Wilders record at several lower league teams was impressive. As Lowe is doing. Paul Hirst that someone mentioned had only done it at one club. Lowe, with an older head to offer some support and knowledge of running a bigger club might just work.

True, and I witnessed what Wilder did at Oxford, and nearby Northampton, but still didn’t realise how good he was Certainly wasn’t convinced he could do it at a higher level. Think it was that game against us at Hillsborough, when I saw at first hand what him and Knill were doing, that I realised he might be the real deal. Could he do it at one of the really big clubs? Who knows, Utd are a good fit for him, and I don’t think he’d be in a hurry to leave them. 
I mentioned Hurst, not as a solution now, but more to point out that appointing a lower league manager is not always a winner, no matter what they are currently doing. Hurst was highly regarded by many, not just here, but all over Europe, as one of an elite group of young coaches. Think I read that his coaching qualifications, were at the time, only held by 4 other coaches across Europe. The early signs were good, with the work he did at Shrewsbury, but you are right, it’s only one club, whereas Lowe has done it before. As for Hurst, despite being held in such high regard as a coach, he’s found the management lark trickier, but I suppose he’s young enough to come again. Maybe his role would be as a sidekick to a more experienced manager? There are many who say that Knill is the brain behind United’s resurgence, which maybe the case, but the pairing are proving to be very effective. 
I would be happy enough to take a chance on someone like Lowe, or any young coach with fresh ideas, who’s willing to work with the tools he has. That’s what we need, not somebody who wants to change the whole squad every time he gets a job

On 20/04/2020 at 02:38, Plonk said:

perhaps but I think it depends who that is and whether they can work together. DC won’t have a DOF

24 minutes ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

I maybe wrong but wasnt he given a 1 year deal as that's the way chansiri seems to roll in term of manager contracts? If so would be interested to see if its renewed publically, not publically or not at all. 

One year rolling contract

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

What ever happened to Chris Houghton?

Seemed to want to wait around for a Premiership club that never came last season. 

Might take a Championship club now but I guess more likely to want a club who are more likely to get promoted next season.

Can’t see him getting a top flight gig Not sure he’d be the right person for us, unless we’ve got a decent budget Was initially quite keen, but I’ve now gone off the idea

It would appear from many press reports that Chris Hughton turned us down last summer.

Time has moved on and who knows he may no longer want the pressures of managment.

I do know one thing though in that unlike Monk he has actually achieved something in football management, namely promotion.

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But how many managers get promotion regularly?

Is hiring a manager who's had promotion before a guarantee that he will know how to do it again at a different club with a different setup and different players?

Simple question. Do you believe Monk is the right man for the job?

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But how many managers get promotion regularly?

Is hiring a manager who's had promotion before a guarantee that he will know how to do it again at a different club with a different setup and different players?

No. It doesn’t guarantee it. But if they’ve done it once they know what it takes. If they’ve done it several times then they know what they are doing. If you’ve had four goes and f@cked it up every time then you should be going to see the career advisor at your old school because they gave you crap advice. 

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You seem to have just totally ignored my question

lol

I didn’t think I had but I obviously have lol

There isn’t many managers that get promotion regularly but there are some with solid records in this regard.

And there’s no guarantee that a manager that’s had success here can replicate that success elsewhere particularly here.

Now for my question. Do you think Monk is the right man for the job?

7 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I didn’t think I had but I obviously have lol

There isn’t many managers that get promotion regularly but there are some with solid records in this regard.

And there’s no guarantee that a manager that’s had success here can replicate that success elsewhere particularly here.

Now for my question. Do you think Monk is the right man for the job?

Thanks for the replies mate - appreciated

As for your question the honest answer is I simply do not know.

I think it's very difficult if not nigh on impossible to tell how Monk would fare at our club given the circumstances he's been working in.

He's been forced to work with some very negative influences causing trouble, some players coming to the end of their contracts and not giving a damn about trying harder to win a new one (e.g. wanting out of the club), and some situations that any manager would struggle with.

I could only really judge him once he has a coaching team in place, fresh faces in the squad, and the troublesome players out of the picture.

Owlstalk Shop

I have to be honest and say that I just do not buy this.

"He's been forced to work with some very negative influences causing trouble, some players coming to the end of their contracts and not giving a damn about trying harder to win a new one (e.g. wanting out of the club), and some situations that any manager would struggle with."

All football clubs have their easy-going and more difficult personalities.  Monk created all the animosity that we just did not need.

Bruce had largely the same players and there were never any problems mentioned.

Monk was fired by Swansea, Monk was fired by M'boro, Monk was fired by Brum.

Plus after a promising start Monk messed up big time at Dirty Leeds.

26 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I have to be honest and say that I just do not buy this.

"He's been forced to work with some very negative influences causing trouble, some players coming to the end of their contracts and not giving a damn about trying harder to win a new one (e.g. wanting out of the club), and some situations that any manager would struggle with."

All football clubs have their easy-going and more difficult personalities.  Monk created all the animosity that we just did not need.

Bruce had largely the same players and there were never any problems mentioned.

Monk was fired by Swansea, Monk was fired by M'boro, Monk was fired by Brum.

Plus after a promising start Monk messed up big time at Dirty Leeds.

Agree, and he has a track record of publicly falling out with people. So we want to persist with somebody who is disruptive, or at the very least, has no man management skills, plays football that makes your eyes bleed, and has no record of prolonged success

Edited by gurujuan