Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

I don’t know, we seem to be going one way, the wrong way. Replacing managers, or players, can work if the person replacing them, is better than the ones leaving That has not been the case with managers, or players, hence our slide down the table

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a really tricky situation

We need to back a chosen manager unreservedly to the hilt, give them their own coaching staff and behind the scenes people, a good solid squad of players to move forward with, get rid of the bad eggs at the club, and then push on.

The problem is that fans are against Monk either from the start or due to the results he's gotten whilst not having his own coaching staff and without having the ability to clear out problem players.

So we could keep him and let him flush out the club

Or we could go and try and find and secure a big name

The issue there then is who would come and work in this environment?

I am never ever someone who says 'But if we get rid of X then who will seriously want to come?' because there are always people putting their hand up to be the new manager of the club. 

But the standard of manager it seems that the fans want to come to Sheffield Wednesday I genuinely am not sure they'd work under the constraints that are faced at the club currently.

I dunno... it's all a mess

And all the signs are pointing to Chansiri backing his man, sticking with Monk, flushing out the players giving us problems and pushing on. (not sure about the coaching staff and whether Monk will be allowed to recruit)

Chansiri is in a tricky position. Having given him the job he has to back him - maybe a bit better than he has like you say with coaching staff in particular. 

Maybe he’ll be able to after the July hearing when Monk can shape the team in his own image a bit more. I’m not optimistic he’ll be a success but you can see why Chansiri would persevere for a bit longer. 

22 minutes ago, Five Archers said:

My t'other half is from DHull now converted to the true faith at considerable cost has informed me that the DHull fans didn't rate Bruce even after they went up. Bruce and Monk's records in management look very similar to me. But I'm willing to give GM a go for next season, but! The guy needs some back up. Carlton Parmer anyone?

Steve Bruce got Hull promoted twice, achieved the highest points total in the PL and took them to the FA Cup final for the first time in their history - shocking stuff!

Admittedly Monk has had much less time in management but he has barely managed a top half finish never mind a promotion.

17 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Chansiri is in a tricky position. Having given him the job he has to back him - maybe a bit better than he has like you say with coaching staff in particular. 

Maybe he’ll be able to after the July hearing when Monk can shape the team in his own image a bit more. I’m not optimistic he’ll be a success but you can see why Chansiri would persevere for a bit longer. 

Not if he has only backed him on a 1 year contract and if the EFL hearing is sorted without too much hanging over us going into the next season a better option may become available.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not if he has only backed him on a 1 year contract and if the EFL hearing is sorted without too much hanging over us going into the next season a better option may become available.

You may well be right. As I said I’m not optimistic Monk’s the Man. Picking a manager when you haven’t got lots of cash is an imprecise science. 

53 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's a really tricky situation

We need to back a chosen manager unreservedly to the hilt, give them their own coaching staff and behind the scenes people, a good solid squad of players to move forward with, get rid of the bad eggs at the club, and then push on.

The problem is that fans are against Monk either from the start or due to the results he's gotten whilst not having his own coaching staff and without having the ability to clear out problem players.

So we could keep him and let him flush out the club

Or we could go and try and find and secure a big name

The issue there then is who would come and work in this environment?

I am never ever someone who says 'But if we get rid of X then who will seriously want to come?' because there are always people putting their hand up to be the new manager of the club. 

But the standard of manager it seems that the fans want to come to Sheffield Wednesday I genuinely am not sure they'd work under the constraints that are faced at the club currently.

I dunno... it's all a mess

And all the signs are pointing to Chansiri backing his man, sticking with Monk, flushing out the players giving us problems and pushing on. (not sure about the coaching staff and whether Monk will be allowed to recruit)

Monk has flushed out a couple of players and results have got worse. Maybe some problem players are still around but if this is the case why does he continue to pick them instead of the loan players he brought in and the academy players? We can't do much worse than be beaten before half-time on a regular basis.

As said previously, I don't think Monk has a ready made backroom staff that he could pick from. His long-term assistant is the manager of the club he cut ties with and is working with some of their previous backroom staff. James Beattie is the only name that gets mentioned regularly and his coaching CV doesn't shout out any great success.

I agree the standard of manager w could attract right now is questionable but if the EFL issue is resolved before a new season without us being lumbered points-wise or financially then that could change. I would prefer Mick McCarthy to what we have now.

The signs recently have pointed to Chansiri sticking by Monk but Chansiri gave very public backing to Jos and then promptly got rid of him.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No he hasn't.

They're still at the club

Who? You said Hutch was long gone, never around.

Why doesn't he drop the others that are causing problems?

1 hour ago, G.Reaper said:

Quite simple really, firstly expressing a negative opinion , hardly constitutes a "witch hunt"

Secondly the relegation season for Ron Atkinson, coincided with the semi final tragedy and the team that  won the League cup and gained promotion the following season, were playing the expansive attacking football, much admired by Wednesday fans, then and now.

The demise is adequately described in the subsequent post  and is a matter of record ?

your negative comment is not what I was on about regarding the Francis which hunt, it's the constant slagging off he receives from certain posters on Owlstalk. How anybody can think that the first 2 seasons under Francis was a demise is beyond me but as you say everybody has their own opinions.

9 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

I did not ignore it at all and I always try to be respectful in my posts because there are so many different opinions expressed about the club, team and players.  We cannot all be right and it is afterall a debate.

Clearly player power can exist in football but it was never mentioned as an issue under Steve Bruce who had largely the same squad at his disposal at SWFC.

I believe that player power is now being used as an excuse by Monk apologists.

My point is that some people are using player power as excuse for Monk's ineptitude and appalling results since Xmas at SWFC including:

Wednesday 0 Blackburn 5

Luton 1 Wednesday 0 (bottom of the table Luton missed a penalty plus 3 sitters)

Wednesday 0 Reading 3

Wednesday 1 Derby County 3

Brentford 5 Wednesday 0

You say player power is being used as an excuse.  It seems as though some on here don’t want to believe their “heros”. An behave in a manner that is detrimental to the club. For them 2 examples

1. If you haven’t seen it look up the recent interview with Riss Wallace and his comments about Carvalhal

2. Remember the actions to the crowd of Hutchinson after Lukhay had been dismissed. The moustache imitation.

Both highlight the lack of respect which it seems is prevalent among the dressing room

20 minutes ago, Tommycraign10others said:

You say player power is being used as an excuse.  It seems as though some on here don’t want to believe their “heros”. An behave in a manner that is detrimental to the club. For them 2 examples

1. If you haven’t seen it look up the recent interview with Riss Wallace and his comments about Carvalhal

2. Remember the actions to the crowd of Hutchinson after Lukhay had been dismissed. The moustache imitation.

Both highlight the lack of respect which it seems is prevalent among the dressing room

I’m sure it’s nothing that doesn’t go on at all football clubs. Imagine the stuff managers have had to deal with from Wayne Rooney for example. Some managers manage these things, others like Monk and Megson, try to court public opinion Surely that’s more divisive than anything Hutchinson can do

Not a fan of Monk,hes left a bad stench behind him at every club hes been at,hes a cautious type,thought hed make his name at leeds who were doing quite well at one stage under him,but they seemed to ease off just when it mattered and ended up short,and thats followed him around at his other clubs since.

Given time and money he could make a solid top 10 side,dont see him having the nads or nouse to make us a solid top 6 side and his predecessor will then have the problem of trying to make the best out his selections.

Chansiri couldnt pick the winning horse in a two horse race,I fancy thats our future unless he gets bolder in his managerial appointments

Said it before and I will say it again. Good managers manage difficult players. Good managers improve players.  Good managers bring in better players during transfer windows. Good managers get their players to believe in the style of football they want them to play. 

Has monk done any of these things. 

Does anyone think he can?

as things stand we are at best going to tread water for the foreseeable and monk seems to be a proven mid-table manager so while not an inspiring thought he's got the credentials to achieve that position ……...having said that if we could get  mick McCarthy in then i'd have monk out today .

If I was Chansiri I would be keeping a close eye on how Ryan Lowe does at Plymouth. If he ever becomes available, we should be looking to be first in the queue. He’s young, hungry to prove himself and has knowledge of our football club and fan base. Of course it would be a gamble but no more than some of Chansiri’s other appointments.

8 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

If I was Chansiri I would be keeping a close eye on how Ryan Lowe does at Plymouth. If he ever becomes available, we should be looking to be first in the queue. He’s young, hungry to prove himself and has knowledge of our football club and fan base. Of course it would be a gamble but no more than some of Chansiri’s other appointments.

Yes I’m a fan of Ryan Lowe too, and mentioned on here the other day that he’d be a good guy to get in. He seems to have an attacking style of management and says he’d like to manage us one day. 

Lowe's managerial style has interested and been complimented by Jürgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola, Rafa Benítez and Lowe's long-time friend Steven Gerrard, among others.[3] He is attack-minded, and Bury in 2018-19 were one of the Football League's highest-scoring teams; their style, described as "gung-ho",[3]soon brought success as the club finished second in League Two and earned promotion back to League One.[34]

9 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Not a fan of Monk,hes left a bad stench behind him at every club hes been at,hes a cautious type,thought hed make his name at leeds who were doing quite well at one stage under him,but they seemed to ease off just when it mattered and ended up short,and thats followed him around at his other clubs since.

Given time and money he could make a solid top 10 side,dont see him having the nads or nouse to make us a solid top 6 side and his predecessor will then have the problem of trying to make the best out his selections.

Chansiri couldnt pick the winning horse in a two horse race,I fancy thats our future unless he gets bolder in his managerial appointments

I’d like to see us bring in an innovative manager, like the pigs did with Wilder. They didn’t spend a fortune, but he got a bunch of average players buying into his innovative tactics, and that’s what gave them the edge. If we just want someone who can just keep us in the division, we could have just appointed Bullen. We would have saved money, and there would have been none of this current upheaval. The only manager we’ve had in recent times, who was prepared to think out of the box, was Carlos

Edited by gurujuan

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Managers don't need knowledge of our football club or our fanbase

No they don’t but it helps. Lowe saw at first hand what it’s like here when he played in a side that played for each other and had the fans behind them unlike T0$$ and SpUnk.

Edited by Great Big Galaa