BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

21 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

A good crisis gives the media something to do, something to blow out of all proportion. Salmonella, swine flu, bird flu, SARS, now this. It will be something else in a couple of months. 

I'm not sure that the family members of the 5,000 dead (so far) would agree with you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Talk of Liverpool get the Premier league trophy 

No relegation from the Premier league 

Weatbrom and Leeds promoted 

4 teams relegated from a 22 team premier league next season

Top 2 promoted from championship next season with no playoffs 

Then we can all rip on Liverpool and Leeds fans for years for not really winning anything. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Next season as more of a right to start than this season as of being completed. Do we put next season and future seasons on hold, just for the good of a few teams? Have you thought about the implications of delaying next season or future seasons and tournaments?

Teams have missed out before on things due to war, conflicts and bans. If the season can't be completed, players still need a pre-season and if the rest of the season can't be fit in before next season, then it should be abandoned and cancelled.

It's tough luck on the clubs chasing things but health and lives are far more important. This season is a write off and fairly so. Honouring clubs without completing competitions would set a dangerous precedent and would have future implications, as well as belittling the honours.

if we restarted this season in sept and scrap next season ,every club would go bust ,every tv company would go bust ,the job losses would be huge . all this shutdown locking us in our homes is bloody pathetic . the knock on effect of everything whats been done throughout the world will have huge lasting effect on peoples way of life. 

7 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Talk of Liverpool get the Premier league trophy 

No relegation from the Premier league 

Westbrom and Leeds promoted 

4 teams relegated from a 22 team premier league next season

Top 2 promoted from championship next season with no playoffs 

What about league 1? The top two will feel they should be promoted too if that’s the same for Leeds and WBA.  Then there’s Wycombe who have a game in hand that could take them second if they won.  It’s a mess 

Edited by Owls-Fan

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

Your first point is exactly what I don’t agree with. Personally I feel this season has a right to be completed, more than next season that hasn’t happened.  I wonder how Owls fans would feel if we were in the top two and looking like certainties for promotion this season.  I reckon there would be more saying this season should be completed.

Anyway it’s all about opinions, it’s definitely a mess for the authorities to sort out. 

My point is that if this season can't be completed, then it's ridiculous to delay pre-season and next season, just for the good of a few teams. Teams have missed out before due to European bans, conflicts and war, etc. Life and health is far more important than sport. Did they delay the Euro's for Yugoslavia? Or award teams when competitions couldn't be completed? Have they ever honoured teams that were banned or couldn't complete their fixtures?

It seems to me that the PL and EFL, and other countries' authorities are not necessarily considering the 'public health' impact in cancelling games. I think this is more to do with the clubs themselves, in ensuring they don't have to play games when some of their squad who have the disease or are self-isolating. I can see the logic in this as an immediate step, but the authorities have always ignored the plight of clubs with any previous virus in the team - like Middlesbrough some years ago. Obviously the scale is different, but it's interesting how they are reacting now.

The issue with the delay stage, is to spread the infected umbers/peak over months - well into the early autumn. This means that clubs may simply shut down and won't have training sessions etc. If this is the case, the authorities will need to decide at what point in UK infected numbers per population, do they plan games to start again. In essence, we are likely to have new infections throughout the year and into next. Are they really suggestion cancelling games for that time?

4 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

if we restarted this season in sept and scrap next season ,every club would go bust ,every tv company would go bust ,the job losses would be huge . all this shutdown locking us in our homes is bloody pathetic . the knock on effect of everything whats been done throughout the world will have huge lasting effect on peoples way of life. 

Aye, that's why this season should be scrapped if it can't be completed before next season should start. What's the good of delaying next season and future competitions or scrapping next season, just for the good of a few teams in completing this season. As, I said it would create a dangerous precedent, where if faced in similar situations or conflicts, disasters and things, seasons will be delayed or held back and honoured just for the good of several teams. Whereas in the past teams were banned or missed out or competitions scrapped, as human life is far more important.

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Your first point is exactly what I don’t agree with. Personally I feel this season has a right to be completed, more than next season that hasn’t happened.  I wonder how Owls fans would feel if we were in the top two and looking like certainties for promotion this season.  I reckon there would be more saying this season should be completed.

Anyway it’s all about opinions, it’s definitely a mess for the authorities to sort out. 

for starters some teams have played more or less games than others . some teams might have leeds west brom away ,others might have bottom 3 to play at home . unless the season was based on 46 completed games then it cannot be fair in any way whatsoever . playing last 9 games next season cant work either . clubs in all leagues would be financially crippled , and also we have already paid for next seasons season tickets . how is that idiot who is chancellor going to compensate everyone in life for there losses? or not able to pay there rent/mortgage if this absolute crazy lockdown happened here.  spain last night have in effect made millions unemployed ,all flights are now either cancelled or will be until further notice so the canaries,costa blanca, del sol,brava ,Ibiza what rely 100% on tourism will go bust . 

6 minutes ago, Animis said:

It seems to me that the PL and EFL, and other countries' authorities are not necessarily considering the 'public health' impact in cancelling games. I think this is more to do with the clubs themselves, in ensuring they don't have to play games when some of their squad who have the disease or are self-isolating. I can see the logic in this as an immediate step, but the authorities have always ignored the plight of clubs with any previous virus in the team - like Middlesbrough some years ago. Obviously the scale is different, but it's interesting how they are reacting now.

The issue with the delay stage, is to spread the infected umbers/peak over months - well into the early autumn. This means that clubs may simply shut down and won't have training sessions etc. If this is the case, the authorities will need to decide at what point in UK infected numbers per population, do they plan games to start again. In essence, we are likely to have new infections throughout the year and into next. Are they really suggestion cancelling games for that time?

according to scientists this corovirus will hit every winter hard ,whether that happens or not is a scary thought . but as soon as possible we need to get life back to some kind of normality , sadly some of us wont survive , some of may need to live almost like a hermit and hardly leave there house but that's the way it is ,just seeing this blind panic thoughout the world just shows how unprepared the world is for events like this. the thing is this was forecast to happen ,they said antibiotics would be able to fight anything like this . 

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

according to scientists this corovirus will hit every winter hard ,whether that happens or not is a scary thought . but as soon as possible we need to get life back to some kind of normality , sadly some of us wont survive , some of may need to live almost like a hermit and hardly leave there house but that's the way it is ,just seeing this blind panic thoughout the world just shows how unprepared the world is for events like this. the thing is this was forecast to happen ,they said antibiotics would be able to fight anything like this

Who did? When? Over the past many years they have been saying the opposite due to over prescription... Besides, COVID-19 is a virus

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Could rumble on and on and on

That's questionable. If people are locked down the incidence of new infections starts to drop in a couple of days. The official figures continue to climb for a couple of weeks as already infected become symptomatic. After that the official figures start to drop but the death rate continues to rise for another couple of weeks. After say a month maybe 2 no more infections occur because the virus has died out. There's a possibility of reinfection from abroad so we might need to close the borders for a while.

The governments policy relies on the virus not mutating. It's a rhinovirus, they mutate. If it does all those who are immune to the first strain are not immune to the second.

The experience of China, South Korea and Italy is that the best answer is to go into lock down and enforce it.