BREAKING: All games suspended until 3 April "at the earliest" [Update: full EFL statement in OP]

55 minutes ago, the third man said:

That would effect season ticket sales and gates for next season if there is no proper meaningful league to support, as well as the problem with players contracts running out

better to wright this one off and start with a meaningful league in August

There would be law suits all other the place if they write this season off.  What about Coventry who are finally close to returning to the top 2 leagues?

or Norwich who have got to an fa cup quarter  final?

Or wolves who are close to champions league places?

i notice teams like West Ham are shock horror in favour of the season being null and void.  I doubt everyone will feel the same 

in my opinion this season HAS to be completed and players contracts extended till it ends.  

Edited by Owls-Fan

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

There would be law suits all other the place if they write this season off.  What about Coventry who are finally close to returning to the top 2 leagues?

i notice teams like West Ham are shock horror in favour of the season being null and void.  I doubt everyone will feel the same 

in my opinion this season HAS to be completed and players contracts extended till it ends.  

Nah. Force majeure applies. Act of God.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Saw two professor  types on Channel Four News having a go at each what the best the plan is going forward.

I have argued the same thing. From a purely logical perspective if we had a global coro-19 party, like when we were kids and everybody went to see the kids with chicken pox, so that everybody caught it. We would all get a good dose of the infection. Different people would react in different ways depending on how healthy they are, how strong their immune system is etc, but a lot of people that would catch it would die. The rest would recover and that would be the end of it.

If the ones likely to die do not come into contact with the virus, then when everybody else has recovered and had a good hose down, again after a safe period of a couple of weeks or so, that should be the end of it. What we are doing now is just buying a bit of time before an antidote, or treatment can be found, or mass produced, so that people can be immunised or fortified with something that reduces the effects. According to the film that theowlsman posted, there are several things being tested at the moment that show promise in lab tests. This just needs to be moved out into testing on actual sufferers of the virus and then into production, so things may calm down a bit soon, depending on how quickly all the drug manufacturers can react. Interesting times we live in though. 

Edited by Ante's Bubbly

19 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

But what about teams, like us, who have players out of contract who are no where near the first team, would we have to continue to pay them past there contract end date?

and what about the impact it will have on next season, starting the season two months late and still having to finish on time for the Euros, which wont be played this year?

12 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

This will all be forgotten in a couple of months 

Like it has been with all the other virus related epidemics over the years 

But as humans we love to speculate and anticipate the worst as it makes our lives more exciting 

100%  spot on. 

13 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

This will all be forgotten in a couple of months 

Like it has been with all the other virus related epidemics over the years 

But as humans we love to speculate and anticipate the worst as it makes our lives more exciting 

A good crisis gives the media something to do, something to blow out of all proportion. Salmonella, swine flu, bird flu, SARS, now this. It will be something else in a couple of months. 

I’d be in favour of calling the whole season off and starting again, basically to put an end to the entire sh*tshow that we have endured this season

Surely it won’t happen though 9 games before the end 

My guess is that it’ll finish behind closed doors from May until the end of June. The euros will be moved to 2021. The season will start in late September with next years domestic cup competitions abandoned completely to ease fixture congestion 

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

A good crisis gives the media something to do, something to blow out of all proportion. Salmonella, swine flu, bird flu, SARS, now this. It will be something else in a couple of months. 

More like a couple of years, but you’re right yes 

All the conspiracies just ultimately make people look stupid 

9 minutes ago, the third man said:

But what about teams, like us, who have players out of contract who are no where near the first team, would we have to continue to pay them past there contract end date?

and what about the impact it will have on next season, starting the season two months late and still having to finish on time for the Euros, which wont be played this year?

Hopefully it won’t be extended for long, maybe the season can be finished in June and July behind closed doors if necessary.  I find it crazy people think forgetting about this season is the best option but just my opinion 

43 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Next season as arguably more of a right to start, than this season as of being completed. Do we put next season and future seasons on hold, just for the good of a few teams? Have you thought about the implications of delaying next season or future seasons and tournaments?

Teams have missed out before on things due to war, conflicts and bans. If the season can't be completed, players still need a pre-season and if the rest of the season can't be fit in before next season, then it should be abandoned and cancelled.

It's tough luck on the clubs chasing things but health and lives are far more important. This season is a write off and fairly so. Honouring clubs without completing competitions would set a dangerous precedent and would have future implications, as well as belittling the honours.

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stoop said:

I’d be in favour of calling the whole season off and starting again, basically to put an end to the entire sh*tshow that we have endured this season

Surely it won’t happen though 9 games before the end 

My guess is that it’ll finish behind closed doors from May until the end of June. The euros will be moved to 2021. The season will start in late September with next years domestic cup competitions abandoned completely to ease fixture congestion 

Think they should just let all the clubs have one bit each suspend or cancel. Fair enough, also stops EFL making decision.

1 hour ago, Animis said:

I understand your point, but I believe this current concern/hysteria is because this virus is new and there's no current vaccine. I feel this will just become part of the fabric of society in future and people will become less concerned and accept it's the norm.

We've been doing this with winter flue for decades, with UK deaths alone at 300K or so. This is hardly reported and we certainly don't shut down half the country between Oct-March every year.

We should be focusing on the very vulnerable as it's them that will feel the full force of this, and as long as the 99% of the population, who will suffer only a minor inconvenience, focus on this point we should be able to manage the impact.

at last someone talking sense. maybe the media should report how many world deaths since dec 1st caused by other virus,flu,hospital bugs . probably well over 1000x more . all we come do is protect the frail,elderly as best as possible other than that just get on with life. 

• Like 1

Talk of Liverpool get the Premier league trophy 

No relegation from the Premier league 

Westbrom and Leeds promoted 

4 teams relegated from a 22 team premier league next season

Top 2 promoted from championship next season with no playoffs 

Edited by WelshOwl74
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I have argued the same thing. From a purely logical perspective if we had a global coro-19 party, like when we were kids and everybody went to see the kids with chicken pox, so that everybody caught it. We would all get a good dose of the infection. Different people would react in different ways depending on how healthy they are, how strong their immune system is etc, but a lot of people that would catch it would die. The rest would recover and that would be the end of it.

If the ones likely to die do not come into contact with the virus, then when everybody else has recovered and had a good hose down, again after a safe period of a couple of weeks or so, that should be the end of it. What we are doing now is just buying a bit of time before an antidote, or treatment can be found, or mass produced, so that people can be immunised or fortified with something that reduces the effects. According to the film that theowlsman posted, there are several things being tested at the moment that show promise in lab tests. This just needs to be moved out into testing on actual sufferers of the virus and then into production, so things may calm down a bit soon, depending on how quickly all the drug manufacturers can react. Interesting times we live in though. 

It will be interesting how governments react to licensing for any in-trial or early stages antidote. They are notoriously slow and cautious, for obvious and not so obvious reasons, but I suspect this will get fast tracked without the normal due-diligence and checks and balance. Good time to buy shares in a drug company.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WelshOwl74 said:

That would be a joke and would set a dangerous precedent. There have been teams denied things before due to war, conflicts and bans, etc. If the competitions can't be completed and clubs can't complete their fixtures, then it should be cancelled and abandoned. This season is a write off as it's increasingly impossible to complete it before next season should start. 

2 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

A better idea is we start again next season in same leagues , this season null and void but the FA and EFL send one of those plastic medals and a nice certificate to Liverpool , Leeds etc saying ‘team who tried really hard 19/20’ . A good solution for everyone .

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Next season as more of a right to start than this season as of being completed. Do we put next season and future seasons on hold, just for the good of a few teams? Have you thought about the implications of delaying next season or future seasons and tournaments?

Teams have missed out before on things due to war, conflicts and bans. If the season can't be completed, players still need a pre-season and if the rest of the season can't be fit in before next season, then it should be abandoned and cancelled.

It's tough luck on the clubs chasing things but health and lives are far more important. This season is a write off and fairly so. Honouring clubs without completing competitions would set a dangerous precedent and would have future implications, as well as belittling the honours.

Your first point is exactly what I don’t agree with. Personally I feel this season has a right to be completed, more than next season that hasn’t happened.  I wonder how Owls fans would feel if we were in the top two and looking like certainties for promotion this season.  I reckon there would be more saying this season should be completed.

Anyway it’s all about opinions, it’s definitely a mess for the authorities to sort out.